“An Oasis in the heart of Ribera del Duero”

Hotel & Spa Arzuaga
NY
“An Oasis in the heart of Ribera del Duero”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Just visited this beautiful property for our 12th wedding anniversary. The area itself is beautiful. The hotel is an enclave in the middle of the wine region so the views are endlessly amazing. We upgraded our room to a suite for an extra charge but it was worth it. Room 232 is a corner room with excellent views of the vineyards, sunrise and sunset are equally beautiful. The breakfast was included in our room rate and it was, as they are in most of Spain, simply fantastic. You will wake up to fresh squeezed orange juice, pastries, marmalade, local cheeses and meat, eggs and a view from the restaurant that invite you to stay forever. We took advantage of the fabulous Spa. They have different type of saunas, a salted Jacuzzi, a pool with different types of shower heads with the most fantastic views if the vineyard. It seems like you are relaxing right by the grapes vines.....We reserved their signature package called Gran Reserva" which included access to the spa and 20% off any spa treatments. We took advantage of the offer and booked a treatment for 2 called "brindis para dos"....This treatment was very nice, it included a grape seeds wrap, exfoliation and a relaxing massage. You will also visit their property to see where they grow the grapes, and where they also has a hunting area with different animals that you can see up close, this was cool. Of course you will not leave without tasting their wine and knowing more about the wine culture, a fascinating history and a way of life in this part of Spain. I will definitely recommend this place and I'm already thinking of another opportunity to go back....

Room Tip: Go for a corner room in the new side of the hotel. There are two areas, one set of rooms located in...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Arzuaga, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel & Spa Arzuaga, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear client;

From Hotel Arzuaga & Spa, we want to be grateful for taking your time sending us this comment about your stay and for sharing it with the community of users of TripAdvisor. We are deeply glad you enjoyed your experience in our hotel and nothing would please us more than welcome you again on your next trip.

We care about those opinions that every travellers housed in our hotel report us in order to provide every time the best deal to all our customers.

Reiterating once again our sincere gratitude for your confidence in our facilities and our staff,

Yours sincerely;

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 29 July 2011

My husband and I had a wonderful weekend in Arzuaga Hotel last April. Our room was big and comfortable, adequately furnished, with a relaxing view to the vineyard. The bathroom was also spacy, with nice bath products. The breakfast was really good and spanish (you could choose, for example, fresh scrumbled eggs, tomato deep - a really nice spanish tip for breakfast-, good quality jamon (which is the spanish "prosciutto") etc. The hotel restaurans provided high quality and delicious traditional kitchen. The hotel is very convenient as a base for further excursions in the area,and especially the the wineries .I would definately go again for a couple of days to relax or just to visit the wineries and buy some really good wines in a decent price!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2011

My girlfriend and I have been living in Spain for 9 months with work and decided to spend some time in the Riberia de Duero region befoire we left. Looking through the local vineyards and websites, the impression of Arzuaga is great.

In addition to the standard wine and food services, with accommodation, it also offered a spa, which we booked into for a massage.

The experience was quite shocking.

Notwithstanding the cost (€75 for a 1 hour "massage", against €45 for a 1 hour thai massage in central Madrid where we live), the spa experience itself was appalling. Having been given very nice robes and "slips" to change into, my girlfriend and I were then taken to the shared room we were given for our massage.

The first moment of awkwardness was the massage staff (including the young man massaging me) asking my girlfriend to take her top off in front of them ; not protocol I've EVER seen in a "luxury" massage venue with male masseurs. With this completed, we were laid on the massage tables and the treatment began. Having asked for the firmest form of massage available (were told this was "Turkish"), this unfortunately consisted of nothing more, for the next hour, than first tickling us with feathers and then wrapping and unwrapping different parts of our bodies in thin sheets. The actually time we had being physically massaged totalled 5 minutes, and we finished the treatment feeling exactly as we had at the beginning, apart from now bieng 150 less well off.

When we booked the massage, we specifically asked for the strongest massage available (this was described as "Turkish") and received the least effective massage I've experienced. We always try and fit a massage into our breaks and have done so in many countries (the Bains de Marrakech, in Marrakech, was a proper Turkish massage!), so have good experience of what this should and should not involve. This is the worst I have experienced and comes at a very expensive price.

I mentioned this to the desk, and asked to see the manager, who wasn't in. Having left a full written description (as requested by the reception), I was promised a reply and have still received nothing.

I really would give this place a wide berth if you can...

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank StefKulik

Travellers are raving about these Quintanilla de Onesimo hotels

London
Reviewed 1 November 2010

I wanted to spend a weekend in a swanky hotel and my wife suggested to go to the Hotel Arzuaga. We have seen it a couple of times when we were driving along the road from Valladolid Airport to Aranda de Duero. Advertisement for the hotel is plastered all over the area and it can’t be missed.

We planned to go their as a party of 6 and I wanted to inquire about the different options for our family with 2 children and my parents in law which I wanted to invite for the weekend. I was thinking about a suite and a connecting room for the children and a separate room for the in-laws, but I was open for recommendations by the hotel staff and I asked for the available options and I requested a quote for the different options. The answer I received from the hotel was succinct: Suites available, no connecting door. This reply was my first contact and I was not impressed as they did not address any of my questions and they as the email contained no signature there was no one that I possibly ask for further information. Well I wasn’t hugely impressed and I looked for a review of the hotel and I came across the Tripadvisor webpage. I was alarmed by the large number of bad critics and convinced my wife not book the hotel without checking it out in first place. We own a little cottage not too far away and we can sleep always in our own place in case we don’t like what we see.

So we were flying in from London to Valladolid and we arrived at around Spanish lunch time. After the early flight we were looking forward to some really nice food in a five star hotel in the rural setting. The location of hotel Arzuaga is first place very remote in the middle of some vineyards a couple of miles from the next village. The next door neighbour is Vega Sicilia which is since decades the most expensive Spanish wine and some of the other neighbours are close competitors for Vega Sicillia. So a very promising set up for some very good food. We arrived at around 2 pm at the hotel and had stroll around the bar and the restaurant. The bar and restaurant have a reception desk, but it was not manned by the time we arrived and I think the lady who was in charge of it had chitchat with the colleagues from the kitchen. Nevertheless we had a stroll around and looked the bar. The bar is relatively plain and I might have expected something more impressive. The tapas didn’t look tempting (and I was hungry after getting up a 4am. Later I spoke to friend of mine who visited this place and her comment about the bar was ‘una bar de carretera’ which means literally a sandwhich outlet in a service station next to a motorway. Never mind we came for the restaurant and not for tapas. We looked at the restaurant which is actually split in 2 conservatory type building. The first one that we entered was completely empty. No guests and no waiter. In the second restaurant we found a waiter, but apart from this it was empty. The waiter was fairly busy doing nothing and he didn’t seem to see us. We approached him in Spanish and after some sort of delay he recognised us. As we had no reservation we was handing us over to one of his colleagues who showed us a place in the back of the restaurant with the view to the rear car park. It is fair to say that none of the staff looked welcoming and the place we were offered was quiet dark and there was a sort of a bad smell which was a little bid unpleasant.

Overall I got a poor impression of the place and I sympathise with the idea to rate this place as a 3 star rather than a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank jenskLondon
Schaffhausen
Reviewed 28 November 2009

We traveld around and needed a room for one night.The room was excellent . In the evening we ate at the restaurant. The food was ok but we had to wait a very long time. I forgot my cardigan after dinner. Next morning we checked out and asked about my jacket. I didn't got it back with the explanation the restaurant was cloosed and the receptionist hadn't a key. It was not possible to send it by post to my home. For a 5 star hotel I expect a much more better service than this. Save your money and stay at a other hotel. The service is the price not worth.

• Stayed October 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Leuven
Reviewed 18 May 2008

I was attracted to this hotel due to the 5 star category it posts on their webpage and because of being a producer or supposedly fine wine in an excellent wine region (Duero). My experience was throughout disappointing, because a 5 star hotel should ensure high standards not only in the facilities, but also in the service culture. If you like art you will be rewarded by large paintings hanging all over the place. Breakfast is fine and service friendly. However, if you feel that in a 5 star hotel you should not be obliged to take your luggage to your room (with obligatory staircases); if you feel that dinner should be served in adequate quantity, the steak warm and beer in a glass; if you feel that guests should be guaranteed some silence at night (loud music and wedding speeches were taking place apparently right under our window until 3 AM); if you do not want to enter into a discussion with a waiter who stubbornly insists that Mastercard payments cannot be accepted (because he is not technically capable of inserting a card with chip in the right place); and finally, if you want a hotel where you can at least complain and get an answer, DON'T STAY AT ARZUAGA. Now, after almost 3 weeks and complaints I still have no response. Isn't there any regulatory body that controls the number of stars?????

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — arrogantly bad service
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Gualterius
Manchester, England
Reviewed 25 July 2007

We visited the hotel to attend a wedding. We had a family suite, with the child's bedroom separate from that of the adults. The room was pleasant enough, and the standards of cleanliness were good. We encountered problems almost immediately as no one spoke adequate English. We must take part of the blame - its probably about time we learned to speak Spanish! We found the food to be quite awful. Two of us are vegetarian and they really didn't get it at all. We didn't expect anything complicated, but they failed even to provide us with a salad that wasn't covered with fish. The 'salad sandwich' came complete with meat. I gave up and ordered a plate of chips. They arrived...eventually... lukewarm and not very appealing (not to mention utterly overpriced!) but by then I was really hungry and very grateful to get anything at all. The breakfast was OK - croissants, bread rolls, and scrambled eggs. I suspect the meat eaters fared a lot better! The thing that really worries me about the Arzuaga is that it has polished wood staircases. And although these look beautiful, they are extremely slippy. My mother slipped and fell, and hurt herself so badly that the medics had to be called out. She was in shock and was lucky to come away with nothing more than painful bruising. During our stay, we saw two other people fall on the stairs too - polished wood is a total recipe for disaster. The Arzuaga is probably excellent for wine buffs as they have their own vineyard. But as far as we're concerned, it was overpriced and overrated. And I do worry about someone falling on the stairs and doing themselves a serious injury.

• Liked — The rooms were very clean
  • Disliked — Disgusting food. Dangerous staircases.
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled with family
#1 of 2 in Quintanilla de Onesimo
Residencia Real Castillo de Curiel
Hotel ATH Ribera de Duero
AC Hotel Palacio de Santa Ana

Been to Hotel & Spa Arzuaga? Share your experiences!