“Friendly and relaxed”
Review of Hotel Port Bo

Hotel Port Bo
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We stayed in one of the apartments, which was perfect for us and our two teenage daughters - two nice bedrooms, a bathroom, and a fairly spacious area with kitchen, table, sofa and soft chairs. There's also a little balcony outside with its own table and chairs. It's quite a small hotel, much nicer than those ones with hundreds of rooms, and it felt friendly and relaxed. The pool isn't huge but it didn't feel crowded. Staff were very pleasant and helpful, especially the dining room manager who was great. The breakfasts were excellent, and the central position of the hotel makes it easy to walk to lots of good restaurants in the town.

Room Tip: The apartments are ideal for families.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank blackjane

Reviewed 17 October 2011

This is a perfect hotel for family. It is big, pretty with plenty of rooms to hang out around the lobby, clean and big rooms. The breakfast was very diverse and good.
I will definitely stay there again If I am back to Calella. A plus? I could bring my doggy with us.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cassdra
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Extremely clean, air conditioned room, helpful staff. Breakfast exceptional with very friendly attentive and helpful dining room manager Chevvy in attendance!
lovely pool.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Back in Hotel Port Bo again this year, nothing has changed still excellent. The breakfasts might even be better................ Cannot fault this lovely family run hotel. Might be a few too many children for some people as the hotel also has apartments but it did not spoil our holiday we just love Calella de Palafrugel and will be back again next year all being well. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cosy
Reviewed 24 September 2010

My friend and I wound up in Calella de Palafrugell after our flight to Lyon was cancelled. We were supposed to go to Nice, but ended up staying an extra night in Barcelona then decided to move on to the Costa Brava for some fun in the sun. We had no idea where we were going to stay, not having done any real research, so we took the advice of our cab driver, after getting off the bus from Barcelona, to stay at the Hotel Port-Bo (also, it was the cheapest of our options, at 80 euro/night, breakfast included). I will never forget this quirkly little hotel - first of all, the decor is total 70's time warp. Pretty cool and what might be considered "trendy", except there was no irony involved whatsoever. They just hadn't bothered to redecorate since the late 70's/early 80's.

We rarely saw anyone in our entire 2 night stay, save for the nice people at reception (one of the gals spoke a bit of English), which gave the hotel a ghostly, "Hotel California"-like feel, completely at odds with the surroundings. But I loved it! NOT a luxury hotel by any means, but perfectly adequate and reasonably comfortable. The room was a good size, basic, beds not too comfy though so I didn't sleep very well. Bathroom was good, had a bidet, hairdryer, decent water pressure. We had a nice balcony overlooking the grounds below, with the pool area to the right, and a tiny glimpse of the sea beyond that. There was FREE internet and wi-fi, which was great! although not available after 11pm. I remember I went down after midnight the first night to check my emails, only to find the lobby area completely dark and woke up the night reception guy. Which brings up another point - we were definitely the youngest people staying there. We saw a lot of British and Spanish retirees (when we did see people). Not exactly party central, if that's what you happen to be looking for (we weren't).

The BEST thing about this hotel though, and which was completely unexpected, was the BREAKFAST!! Free with the room, it was an incredible spread: different baked goods, hams, salumi, cheeses, tomato bread, stewed red peppers, a stewed chicken & red peppers dish that was so yummy, spanish omelettes, smoked salmon, fruit salad, fresh fruit, and of course, great coffee. The breakfast room was nice and sunny and full of people (the only time we felt there were other people staying there!). We booked 2 nights there, but unfortunately could only enjoy the breakfast one morning, since we had a 6am airport pickup the next day.

Other plusses, great location just a few minutes walk from the town center, close to the beaches, quiet. Loved Calella de Palafrugell! Had the feel of a retirement paradise, but who cares, it was beautiful and so tranquillo. Not sure when I can get to the Costa Brava again, being from California, but if I do I won't hesitate to book here again!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank HolboxBound
Reviewed 22 September 2010

I've just come back from my 2nd stay at the Port-bo and it was just as good as the last time. The only down side, this time, was that the bed was not the most comforable I have slept in and while I generally slept OK I do have a slightly stiff back. This should not detract from the fact that the hotel was very clean and the staff were, again, extremely helpful and accommodating. In one earlier reviwe, jazzireland tells of a very rude receptionist and I can only say that this must have been a one-off as I have never had so much as the tiniest reason to complain about them. One of the young girls, this time did not speak English as well as the others so she was less inclined to indulge in conversation, which I suppose could me mis-construed as rudeness but I don't think so. Now, the breakfast. What can I say that hasn't been said before. Still THE best breakfast you could wish for with everything you can think of (and more) including, on one morning, freshly made stuffed, roasted tomatoes and a large bowl of 'proper' sausages, in an onion gravy. On top of the vast selection laid out in fron of you, they will also cook you bacon and eggs, og eggs done a number of ways (fried, boiled, srambled.) I'm not normally a great breakfast person but for the Port-bo, you have to make an exception. My room (336) was spacious, with 2 large single beds and a small balcony, which had a sea view. There was plenty of storage space, as well as a safe, fridge, TV with a couple of English language stations and a spotless bathroom with power shower. I will be going to Calella de Palafrugell, next year and I already know where I will be staying.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Still as good as ever. This hotel continues to deliver basic and functional service that is all it needs to deliver. It's not luxury and doesn't pretend to be, it's not cheap but knowhere is in this area, the breakfasts are still with the WOW factor. Service is good with owners very friendly and helpful, maybe their reception staff this summer lacked experience but they still helped us with all our enquiries and needs. Some bathrooms may need updating soon and some rooms have more space than others but all in all it's still great.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Hotel La Caleta de Tamariu
Hotel Terramar
Hotel Terramar
#2 of 6 in Llafranc

Been to Hotel Port Bo? Share your experiences!