“Worth visiting...”

and up
Private Day Trip to Haputale from Nuwara Eliya
Ranked #2 of 6 things to do in Haputale
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

If you are in the area for liptons seat anyway, and havent been to a tea factory yet. 250 Rs entry really isnt that much.

Its a cool building (longest factory in sri lanka, very old) production process is interesting if you havent heard about it before. Not sure what there is to complain about.

1  Thank B W

Reviewed 8 April 2014

We visited this factory as part of a family roundtrip.
The complaints about the entrance fee: well, remember what this excursion would cost in Europe....
We saw all about the process, and when I told the guide I'm an engineer, he showed us the UPS diesel sets and I was allowed to take pictures.
So: we were satisfied; it was interesting.
Note: look for the staff parking lot, it's symbolic....

1  Thank Hakabee
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I'm a little annoyed with the slagging off of this place. It shows exactly how they make and produce the tea. What more do you lot want?

Saying this, I visited on my way to Lipton's seat and felt this place had good a good history which was worth the one pound entrance fee. Obviously, as some people have pointed out, they're are other factories that seem to offer visits of which are free, these may be better, but for the scenic drive around the mountains, great views for photos, en-route to Lipton's seat and being the factory that Sir Thomas J Lipton founded, I found the enter fee not enough to deter.

Yes, a little cafe would be lovely to try the tea ( I was lucky and had a tour when the main guy was doing he tasting rounds and so had plenty to drink) but this factory is there to produce tea, not keep whiney tourists happy, if anything it shows what an old fashioned tea factory should look like. I'm sure the fermentation process which happens on the clean tea infested floor isn't just endemic to this place especially when the phrase 'dust off the floor' has been used for a very long time. By all means your welcome to start abstaining from drinking tea. I'm sure they won't change what they have been doing since long before any of you were even thought about. I must ad, photos were said to be not allowed, though i wasn't exactly subtle with my SLR and received no comments.

My review of 3 stars, I do feel is fair though. Toilets weren't great and the guide/manager wasn't completely coherent when explaining things to us although this isn't his fault that he is Sri Lankan. We did actually have our own guide who spoke very good english and so this didn't exactly faze us. The tea at the end I feel was on the expensive side, but if this is the last straw on the camels back which pushes you to make a snidey review then may i suggest you don't buy it?

It is exactly what it says on the tin.

2  Thank AdamCW92
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I was appalled when I read these reviews on returning from Sri Lanka! We visited this factory in March 2014. We have visited tea factories before which have not been working factories or had large groups touring including coaches. The drive was amazing through tea plantations including their schools, hospitals, clincs etc which were all in better condition than when we first visited 16 years ago.
We had an individual 30 minute tour for 500/= which is less than £2.30 2.80 euros for two! There was real working factory with no tea for sale except opposite at a tea stall which sold delicious spiced tea and short eats for 60p for us and our driver. The whole trip cost less than £3 plus driver and petrol which we had paid for anyway and was one of my best experience on this visit.

Sri Lanka is still a poor but developing country. Ifyou can afford to travel to a country as beautiful as it you should be prepared to paid a reasonable price for what you do to contribute to the economy. What can you buy in your home country for this? Do you live on 500/= which what the tea pickers get?

3  Thank MTom1952
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This factory was built by Sir Thomas J Lipton and he started his tea business from here and finally built an empire.
We have now tried to modernize this factory to a 2014 model but it is not at all easy.
Having read some reviews we find that people are stating about charging Rs. 250/= per soul and saying it is two expensive. This is less than 2 dollars. Sad when we go to foreign countries what exorbitant prices they charge and at times it is over 50 dollars just to see something.
This is essentially a tea manufacturing estate and we permit our guest that come to this area to have a look at the factory and if required to purchase some teas. It may be highly priced but definitely cheaper than what you purchase in the shelves of supper markets. We have people who comes regularly and buy large quantities of them obviously due to the quality of the product.
We pack top quality Uva Tea and they are fresh. There is a saying that " Cheap this no good and good things no cheap" we follow that principal.
If anyone cannot afford it then it is up to you we will not force you to do so but I am sure if you do buy you will always come back and buy more since we have so many who purchase up to 50 to 60 packs at a time.
Note- Photography is not permitted due to government regulations.
However thanks for the constructive critisism and whatever possible has been rectified.
This reply is from the Manager of this Plantation.

5  Thank RalphColombo