“Very convenient for the A36!”

The Swan at Stoford
Ranked #1 of 2 Stoford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 January 2014

To get the negative stuff out of the way first, there is only one drawback to The Swan and that's its proximity to a surprisingly busy road. It was fine for me as I live near a fairly busy road and it was wintertime so no need to have the windows open. It might be a tad noisy in summertime though! But none of this is the fault of the owners. The pub was built where it is a few hundred years ago to catch the passing horsedrawn traffic.
The accommodation was nice and the food, particularly the evening meal was excellent and reasonably priced. The staff were fantastic and appeared to me to get along well amongst themselves which, to me at least, is a sign of good management. Matthew was the man who greeted me and showed me to my room. He was very helpful and good humoured. My evening meal was served by a Spanish (or perhaps Portuguese?) lady who was also very friendly and efficient. This friendliness was natural and wasn't just there to ensure I purchased food and drink as I found out the following morning when she was performing cleaning duties. I was busy eating my breakfast and didn't notice her approach but as she passed by, she greeted me warmly, remembering me from the previous evening. This greeting from a nice young woman makes the world of difference to a middle aged grey fat bloke!

Room Tip: I don't know if there are roooms at the back of the building but I would go for one of these if...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Thank you for your great review. I am glad you found our family run business friendly. We have a great staff team and do genuinely get on well, so it is good to know this is noticeable. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

A group of us stayed here on the 13th Jan. Rooms were very clean and spacious. The staff were attentive. The meal we had a nicely cooked and well presented. It was nice to come down and have breakfast in a room with a roaring log fire.. very cosy. Only downside 2 of my collegues complained to me about the lorries thundering pasted there windows, but we all live in the middle of know where, so we are not used to it!!!!! Would visit again.

Room Tip: Stoford room has a really comfy bed, and is located at the back of the hotel so less noisey
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for the great review and I am glad you enjoyed our roaring fire on a cold January morning! I am sorry if your companions found their room noisy - if the triple glazing is fully closed most guests tell us it is very effective.

We are glad you had a nice stay and hope to welcome you back.

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

I came from the US to stay at the Sean. It was excellent. They treated us so well! Great food, rooms, and staff. It was lovely! They were so accomodating. I will definitely stay here again! The food was great and the service impeccable!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Tammy R
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

We greatly appreciate your lovely feedback and are pleased you had a nice stay. I am glad you found our staff attentive and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed at The Swan over the Christmas period.
Our room was very comfortable and spacious, and presented to a high standard.
The staff at The Swan were efficient and very friendly.
We ordered one cooked meal duing our stay. The meal was excellent along with the restaurant service.
We will return to The Swan in the not too distant future. A highly recommended small inn/hotel!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roland T
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay over the Christmas period and I am particularly glad that you found my staff to be efficient and friendly. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Great place for a nice weekend break if you want to explore Salisbury City and the surrounding area. Only six miles from Salisbury and six from Stonehenge. Comfortable rooms will quality bed linen. Bathrooms with bath and shower and all soaps, shampoo etc supplied. Great views across the surrounding countryside. Breakfast is great, would highly recommend the Full English ( complete with Black Pudding ) Staff all very helpful, good selection of wines and local ales served in the bar.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David T

Thanks for the fab feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed your breakfast and your stay and appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

We stayed as a family in the Swan room, with enough room to set up a travel cot in the corner of the room. The staff on duty as we checked in offered unprompted to help us up to the room with our bags, and got us settled in with the minimum of fuss.

We ate in the pub for a couple of meals - good food but not outstanding, but very tasty. The service was friendly and attentive, also helping with getting bottles sterilised for our baby. This was especially impressive as there were large parties in the function room on both occasions.

Our one minor criticism of the room was that the duvets were quite thin and on the small size for the bed. We didn't raise that at the time as they were certainly adequate, but it would improve the experience to provide king size duvets for a double bed.

Location-wise, it is very convenient for Stonehenge and also for Salisbury. We would stay here again if we are in the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to feedback and for your positive words. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry if the duvets were not to your liking and will give consideration to your suggestion.

Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

we took our good friends and neighbours for a christmas meal at lunchtime. we prebooked the table and on arrival although we were early were shown to our table by the host. Service was excellent and the food was absolutely fantastic. Our neighbours had the turkey with all the trimmings and we had the rabbit casserole, all cooked to perfection. The food was excellent value for money and we would definitely go back again. fully recommend to any of our friends. many thanks to all the staff at The Swan.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Thanks for the fab feedback, we are pleased you had a nice time and the team and I wish you and your family a very happy Christmas.

Liz - Owner

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoford
The Antrobus Hotel
City Lodge
City Lodge
#13 of 16 in Salisbury
Peartree Serviced Apartments Salisbury

Been to The Swan at Stoford? Share your experiences!