“An excellent hotel”

Ranked #1 of 2 Stoford B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“An excellent hotel”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We highly recommend this hotel - especially for visitors to Stonehenge. Spacious quiet room with good bathroom. The staff were excellent and welcoming. Good setting alongside a river. Really convenient for travelling. The food for dinner was good and locally sourced. Great atmosphere in the bar.

Room Tip: There is wifi in the public areas. Rooms at the back were quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for your lovely recommendation - we are delighted you had a great stay.

Liz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Hillsborough, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed for one night during our excursion out to Stonehenge and Salisbury. I will start with the good:

The food was excellent. We had a lunch (Burger and Fish & Chips) and breakfast (Lighter English Breakfast) here and thoroughly enjoyed both. My daughter also had dinner (I was too full from lunch) and dessert and the pork belly was amazing.

The rooms were clean and the bath room had a dedicated hot water heater for the shower - this I loved because with the facilities somewhat dated, I expected to run out of hot water. It was great and hot!

The staff were very welcoming and accommodating. The service was not pushy and didn't rush us. Since there was limited or no WiFi in the rooms (see below) we were at the table for a longer period of time catching up on our emails and loading pictures for friends and they didn't push us out.

Now to the things that they can improve:

As mentioned above, the WiFi was non-existent in the rooms and very slow in the lobby. We were not able to complete some of our tasks that we had done at other hotels and hostels across Europe because of the speed.

The inn is very close to the highway and I would have been nervous had I been traveling with kids.

The area above the pub is an historic inn and the structure is a little iffy. At times I felt that I was in the fun house at a carnival because the floors were a bit sloped and very "creaky". The rooms were nice sized and the beds were comfy.

One disappointment for me was the fact that it was in such a busy place. I was expecting a quiet area with a nice garden by the river. This was not as posted on the website as the garden was a fenced eating area that you had to fight the busy street to get over to the river.

Overall a good experience, but not everything as advertised.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback and I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay and rated our staff and our food. I was surprised that you thought are rooms are dated as they have all been refurbished and the en suites are all modern. We love our quirky hotel and it is full of character. I apologise for the problems we were experiencing with our WiFi providers at the time of your visit.

Hobart
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Despite triple glazing it was still difficult to get a solid sleep. The advertised free wi fi was non existent. Ended up going back into Salisbury and found a brilliant Italian Restaurant where we were able to get free wi fi. Bathroom wasn't as clean as it should have been. Breakfast was just average.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
I am very sorry you found your stay with us disappointing. As an old pub in a village location we are not everybody's cup of tea but we work very hard at our customer service. If your room wasn't clean enough, and the wifi was playing up, I can only apologise.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The food was really good here, I had a huge gammon steak.
We stayed overnight in the rooms above the pub, the room was quite warm, but they supplied a fan.
I had the window open all night, but was woken by the traffic in the morning.
I would say the only downside of this pub is its so close to a busy main road. The staff were really friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: see if you can get a room at the rear of the property
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased you enjoyed your gammon! I am glad you like our inn which has been trading since 1740 - long before the volume of traffic we now see. The triple glazing in the bedrooms is very effective, but only if the windows are shut, which doesn't help on a hot night. Thank you for your positive comments.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed overnight before visiting Stonehenge. Staff very welcoming, family room great size, nice bar and food (evening meal & breakfast) excellent.

Traditional skittles room and wi-fi enjoyed by kids; picnic area at side of river relaxing to sit at,

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give such a lovely review. The riverside garden is a great spot in summer and a personal favourite place of mine to enjoy an occasional glass of wine.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 27 June 2014

My wife and I along with my 80 year old parents stayed here for 2 nights.We enjoyed the quaintness of it and is very different.The rooms are on the main road but triple glazing alleviates the noise.Service and staff are excelant as are the meal in the dining room.Would reccomend to any one but there are a few stairs.

Room Tip: All rooms are at the front
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay in our quirky old inn. Thank you for your kind words and I hope you enjoyed your visit to England overall.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Five of us (including someone in a wheelchair) had an evening meal in the restaurant recently. The food was excellent. Two of us had the steak which was delicious, tender and perfectly cooked. Someone had the pork and she said it was the best meal she had ever eaten! The other two had burgers which were perfect. I then met a friend for lunch and again the service and food was excellent, I really couldn't fault it. We have just booked again for this Friday. With such great food excellent service and value for money it really can't be faulted. Think we are going to become regulars!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Really pleased you are enjoying our food - we have a great kitchen team and I am glad you appreciate their cooking. Thank you for a great review.
Liz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoford
The Stones Hotel
#13 of 16 in Salisbury
King's Head Inn
King's Head Inn
#3 of 16 in Salisbury

Been to The Swan at Stoford? Share your experiences!