Were a couple in our 20s from NY and Pittsburgh and stayed at the Esmeralda Resort from November 14-17. Reading some of the reviews I was a little worried about the resort, but rest assured we had an amazing time. From the very friendly bellhop showing us to our rooms and getting us a cab on a different day), to the truly remarkable staff at Coco Beach (David was on top of everything and Franc was always ready with some fresh coffee in the morning) to of course the beautiful beach. The grounds of the resort were well kept and while we only used it once, the pool right outside the patio was also very clean. During the day the wonderful housekeeping staff (who we never saw since we were always on the beach) kept our room nice and clean. As far as the room goes, we thought it was great, nice high ceilings, convenient kitchenette, plenty of closet space and the AC kept the temperature perfect. The beach itself was also very clean, no seaweed in the water. Walking along Orient Beach and seeing the other hotel’s setups I truly think Coco Beach was a step above everyone. At Coco Beach it was nice and peaceful and it was not as bunched up as some of the others. The village was a quick 5 minute walk from Esmeralda and there was a nice grocery store along with a few restaurants. We had dinner the first night at Safari and then our last night at another restaurant in the plaza. Both were great. Also across the street from Esmeralda is another hotel called the Plantation. They have a nice outdoor bar that at night is a nice and relaxing place to grab a drink or two before going to bed. We had a few drinks at the restaurant at the Esmeralda, L’Astrolabe?, but did not eat there so I cannot review their food. The drinks were ok, but the clientele was a little on the older side. I would definitely recommend the Esmeralda Resort to anyone and would jump at the chance to stay there again.
Now for a couple of tips and pointers. First off, speaking of tips, there are no ATMs whatsoever nearby. None at the resort, none at the village, the closest we hear was in Marigot. We did not know this and on our last night there did not have cash to tip our waitress. The restaurant did not allow you to add a tip to the check either. We felt absolutely terrible about this, so always make sure to have some spare cash on you. Next pointer, Orient Beach does not have much of a nightlife, the bars close around midnight. So if you require a bustling nightlife, we would suggest to stay at a different part of St. Martin. We wanted calm and relaxed and certainly got that. Third pointer, if you want to do any excursions to the surrounding islands, be sure to plan them ahead of your visit. Lastly, for what is worth, we did not like Phillipsburg. Now we did go there on a day when there was no cruise ship, but regardless it seemed to “toursitee” for us with bad souvenir shops and not much beauty in the actual city layout. If you only can choose one, definitely go with Marigot as the city to explore. Maybe if you want to sit in a cheesy casino Phillipsburg is more up your sleeve, but definitely check out Marigot.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ESMERALDA RESORT, situated on the magnificent white sands of Orient Bay in French St. Martin offers just 65 rooms and suites spread among elegant tropical gardens in 17 villas. Esmeralda is the only four star hotel in St Martin on Orient Beach.Esmeralda's Coco Beach Bar offers beachfront lunch & cocktails. L'Astrolabe, the resort's fine dining restaurant offers French Creole and Continental cuisine. Guests receive dining privileges at 12 + restaurants in Orient Bay. Only minutes to more fine dining,shopping and entertainment. Rooms include a kitchenette, king bed, sitting area and patio. What makes this property so special is it's unique plantation style layout with only four rooms or suites per villa. For privacy, each villa has its own swimming pool and each accommodation has its own private entrance and terrace... Guests may reserve anything from a single superior or deluxe room or a generous sized suite or an entire 3 - 5 bedroom villa. Due to the way this resort in St Martin is situated on the property that is perpendicular to the beach there is limited availability in the two ocean front villas that include the Presidential Suites and deluxe oceanfront rooms. All superior and deluxe rooms include kitchenettes. Suites offer full kitchens and large living rooms. Guests enjoy the peaceful surroundings and a cordial, pampering yet unobtrusive on-site multi-lingual staff prepared to assist with any special needs. Esmeralda offers free use of beach chairs & umbrellas. Each accommodation has a fully equipped kitchenette (suites have fully equipped kitchens including dishwasher), large tile bath with hair dryer plus a 110 outlet for shavers only, color satellite TV, room safe, air conditioning with ceiling fan, daily maid service. All bedrooms have Color TV by satellite (8 channels and video system), telephone, private safe, A/C, ceiling fan, private, furnished terrace, kitchenette with micro wave, electric coffee pot, refrigerator and dishes. SUPERIOR, DELUXE AND OCEANFRONT ROOMS: King or two double beds, kitchenette. Maximum occupancy: 2 people. Superior rooms have garden view and are generally located further from the beach. Deluxe rooms are a bit larger located nearer the pool. Oceanfront rooms are located nearest the beach. SUPERIOR SUITES: Spacious living room and bedroom area with king size four poster bed and full size pull-out sofa bed plus a fully equipped kitchen. Maximum occupancy: 2 adults & 2 children. PRESIDENTIAL SUITES: Large dining and living room area with full size sofa bed, separate master bedroom with king size colonial bed, TV in living room and master bedroom, 1 1/2 baths, radio/cassette/CD player and fully equipped kitchen. Suite is oceanfront. Maximum occupancy: 4 people. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Esmeralda Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Esmeralda Hotel Orient Bay
- Esmeralda Hotel Marigot
- Esmeralda Resort Marigot
- Esmeralda St Martin
- Esmeralda Resort St Martin
- Renaisance Esmeralda Resort