“Green Cay is OK”

Green Cay Villas
Sterling, Virginia
“Green Cay is OK”
Reviewed 16 November 2006

The staff is just WONDERFUL! Couldn't ask for better people but the rooms/villas are blah. Nothing special. Stay there if you want the area - easy access to Beach, Food, Bar, etc. If you want extraordinary accomodations, this is not your place.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Overall design of the villas
  • Tips/Secrets — Good value, but expect luxury
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank MrsCapt

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Providenciales
Reviewed 2 November 2006

I just returned from another fabulous stay at Green Cay. Once again, the villa was immaculate, the daily breakfasts a real treat and the staff wonderful. Yanick, Brigitte and Linda are now like family and I can't imagine staying anywhere else!

• Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank dejs
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 January 2006

I loved Green Cay ! It was awesome... the most beautiful place (in my eyes) in the world! I absolutly loved the villa i stayed in with my family, the private pool is a great thing to have...The view of Orient Bay was gorgeous, I have stayed in Green Cay two times and i will be back this June and staying in the same villa for 10 days! I cant wait to return ! :)

• Stayed May 2002
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Edwardsburg, Michigan
Reviewed 27 September 2005

We have stayed at Green Cay 4 years in a row and love it. The Villa is
positioned on a hill that gives you a panoramic view of the Orient Beach
area. You can watch the parasailers and sailboats right from your
balcony.

The private pool is very nice to relax before or after visiting the beach.
We have found all of the staff to be helpful. They will help you book
excursions and make recomendations on which are the best.

This past year they installed high speed internet service which was really
great. They were having some issues with the villas that were the
farthest up the hill ( 18 and 20) but planned to install boosters.

The Villa is only a 5 minute walk to the beach and restaurants . I
would recomend to anyone looking for a great facility in the
Orient Beach area.

• Stayed April 2005
13 Thank Scubadave15
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 May 2005

We have stayed here 3 times over the past couple of years and have loved it each times. Staff is always helpful and friendly. They can provide information on what the locals like to do and where to go. Beautiful views from the villas and each has its own pool. And in the three different villas that we stayed in the pools were very private. Easy walk to the beach, which we did each early each morning to walk it. After breakfast we drove down with all our beach gear as we did not want to carry it. Bedrooms are large and comfortable. The bathrooms in the bedrooms don't have a stand up showers, but there is a separate bath room that does, which I preferred to use. Only draw back is kitchens were small and the main family room and kitchen was not air-conditioned (except for 2 villas). No real problem though with ceiling fans and breeze. And you can always sit out under the stars or jump in the pool if it get too hot inside. When we go back to St. Maartin this is where we will stay.

• Stayed October 2004
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 May 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Green Cay Villas 5/5/05-5/9/05, and had a spectacular time! I spent MANY late nights on the Internet researching which island and hotel we should go to, and I would whole-heartedly recommend the Green Cay Villas. After driving all over the island (in a rented jeep, which was the best move for St. Martin), we felt that Orient Beach was the best place on the island to stay. We almost stayed at Le Petite Hotel, but are so glad we didn’t. It was right on the beach just outside the main strip in Grand Case, and it just isn't nearly as nice as Orient Beach. Plus, you don't have a private pool, which was AWESOME!

Green Cay Villas are 10 villas located up on a hill, and you walk down the path/street past numerous other villas to get to one of the most beautiful beaches imaginable...soft, white sand; turquoise warm clear water; all of the usual water sports, and plenty of comfortable chairs & umbrellas available for rent (two chairs & umbrella cost $15 for the day, but we were able to get them for $10 when we told them we were only going to use them for an hour or two). Plus there are tons of beach bars all along the beach, so a Mud Slide or Strawberry Colada is always easily accessible. There is some nudity on Orient Beach, which I wasn't accustomed to, but it really wasn't a big deal.

As for the villa we stayed at: We booked through a travel agent, who booked us a studio, which I mistakenly believed was a small villa--wrong! Not even close!! We were shown to our studio which was NOTHING like what I was expecting…no view, no pool. Fortunately, I went down to the office, and was able to pay to upgrade to a villa the following day (they almost didn't have one available, in which case I would have insisted on moving elsewhere). The staff was extremely accommodating and friendly (Bridgette was great).

The villa was exactly what you've heard from the other reviewers...very private, plenty of space, beautiful pool with decks and lounge chairs all around it, a deck overlooking the pool with a view of Caribbean-colored rooftops down to the ocean. Loved having a villa that had housekeeping and breakfast. It was such a pleasure to come out of the bedroom to fresh-brewed coffee, French pastries & bread, the morning paper (Miami Herald), and fresh-picked flowers~ and enjoy it in paradise! (Oh, but pack the mosquito spray for morning and dusk, or you can buy some at the local store. We made sure to keep the door to our bedroom closed w/ the AC on so we never had a problem w/ bugs at night.)

I do agree with the other reviewer about the initial signs of age in the villas. A couple of the bedrooms had some moisture damage in a couple of spots on the walls. Although the management should address this issue, it would never keep me from completely recommending Green Cay Villas.

We spent our mornings sight-seeing, afternoons at the beach, then went back to the villa for a dip in the pool and happy hour, then headed out to one of the amazing restaurants in the area. Sitting on the deck with that view with some munchies and a cocktail (I packed some munchies & was really glad I did), it was hard to drag ourselves away each night, but the restaurants are so wonderful I wanted to try as many as I could in the four nights we were there.

The best restaurants are in Grand Case (kind of a dingy town, but had some neat shops and food was unbelievable!), which was a 10 minute drive away. If you're not up for driving, you can walk down to a small variety of restaurants in Orient Beach (there are 5-10 to choose from). Le Cottage in Grand Case was my favorite. Also loved L'escapade. also in Grand Case--incredible service, delicious food, and our table was practically on the beach.

All in all, it was an amazing, romantic getaway. Every day we would say that our kids would have the greatest time here…we’ll bring them next time when they are a little older (they are 1, 3 and 5 now). Green Cay Villas was everything I had hoped it’d be.

• Stayed May 2005
25 Thank Bos2nStrong
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed 29 March 2005

We stayed at Green Cay Villas for 10 nights in late February - early March. Green Cay is a great location with many features. It is very convenient to Orient Beach, less than a 10 minute walk. The views are beautiful from the villas and the location is very private. There is a nice size pool at each villa, the service is fine, the grounds are well kept and a continental breakfast is served each day in your villa. We were two families sharing a 2 bedroom villa and it worked out great. My one issue is with the appearance of these villas for the cost. They appear to be starting to show their age a bit. But overall, I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2005
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Grand Case Beach Club
Grand Case Beach Club
#3 of 8 in Grand Case

Been to Green Cay Villas? Share your experiences!