“Great one night stay”

La Playa Orient Bay
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Orient Bay
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We enjoyed L'Hoste Hotel, even just for one night. We checked in easy, had a great second floor balcony room, had a "sort of" view of ocean through the palm trees. Comfy bamboo bed, nice shower. Walk to beach through La Playa restaurant / bar. Beach was very quiet the Saturday we were there, which was fine. La Playa plays some fun 80s mixed music during the day. walked to Little Italy to eat, which was really good. Then had a nightcap at Bikini Beach Bar, which was perfect. All in all we could have stayed longer, but headed off to Grand Case from there.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed the last full week of April 2014. We had a room on the third floor. Staff was very courteous and helpful. No problems of any type including bugs, children, odors,room cleanliness, etc Accomodations, although admittedly not first class, were fine. I would say that it is a very reasonably priced small hotel on the beach. However, I don't believe that you can actually see the beach from any of the rooms. This was our second stay. The first time we were on the 2nd floor in the rear and this time on the third near the front parking lot. The walk to the beach from either rooom was no more than an average city block. Each room had a safe, small refrigerator, electric stove, microwave and some cooking pans, utensils, etc. A breakfast was included consisting of hot beverages, orange juice, hot and cold cereals, various breads, yogurts, and fresh fruit cups. You could pay extra if you wanted more like eggs or pancakes but we never tried that. The breakfast was served at La Playa which is an open air restaurant on the beach directly behind the hotel. There is also a separate La Playa beach bar closer to the ocean on the sandy beach. There are some small shops, small stores and several resataurants within easy walking distance of the hotel primarily in or near Orient Village which are all on the same entrance road which leads to the hotel. The entrance from the main road to the hotel complexes on Orient Bay is protected by a manned guard house. After passing that station you wind through the complex about a mile generally staying on a dogleg to the right which then leads to a roundabout that you enter bearing to the right and a 3/4 circle turn to enter the road that leads to the entrance to the hotel ( on the left side) and at the end Orient Village (on the right side). The hotel entrance is about a block from this roundabout on the left hand side and is not well marked. However, since it is so close it is easily found with a little effort. The hotel has a paved parking area immediately in front of it and this lot is directly behind The Palm Court Hotel which is clearly visible from the main entrance road at the roundabout.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you make your final selection
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Though we knew at the time of booking that hotel had only three star rating we were hoping for the better stay, due to the fact that we were not newbies to St. Martin and that European stars are a little more manageable. However, when we arrived hotel was full of little kids who were screaming their heads off in the pool. The took was dark and smelly, something was wrong with the sewage system. The garden room had a view to an overgrown dirty backyard where garbage pails were stored. Bed linen smelled of chlorine and housekeeper pretended not to understand me when I have asked her to change them, even $5 did not help. But the worst of all were bugs, millions of them, we got terrible bites and after spending a fortune at the French pharmacy we cut our stay short and moved to another hotel. Well, Orient beach is not St. Tropez and l'Hoste is not a relaxing resort. If one can afford to upgrade to four stars , there are many other options at St.Martin. Lesson learned.

Room Tip: I'd you decide to visit anyway, make sure to book the third floor.
2  Thank Pearl M
Reviewed 24 April 2014

The staff are great, the position on the beach is great, but the promised upgrading of the hotel has not yet been started. However it is good value for money and many of the clients keep coming back because of that.

Room Tip: We like to be up off the ground floor and around by the pool.
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I truly had no idea what to expect from anything on Saint Martin, yet everything unfolded perfectly, day by day. This was my first trip in a long time and the first one to this island, so I followed my gut along every step of the way. Something told me to stay on Orient Beach (as close to the shore as possible) and something told me to stay at L'hoste.
I surfed around the web for the best prices on a room here for 5 nights, which I thought, at under 200 USD a night, was reasonable. Another guest at the hotel told me he called the hotel and negotiated a great deal, also, which may be something to try next time. The room itself was shockingly simplistic (no clock, phone or wifi), but it had everything I needed (including a kitchenette and large balcony overlooking the street) and it was clean. I took this as I sign that I needed to purge myself of technology for my stay, and Sandy was kind enough to do any local phone calling that I needed to accomplish.
From photos alone, it can be confusing why such a non-super low budget hotel has tile floors and simple rattan style furniture. But when you get there and realize youre literally a few sandy, barefooted steps from the beach, it all makes sense. I tossed down my bag, threw on a bikini and only revisited my room to shower, poop and sleep.
This doesn't mean that the hotel doesn't have really cutely appointed rooms with all the bells and whistles. I visited another room (which probably cost more than the rock bottom prices I paid) and, i'm sure if I had even given an inkling to the staff that I wasn't happy with my room, they would have upgraded me or accommodated me in some way. The reality was that I didn't complain, because I simply didn't care. I was travelling alone and this monastic beach room was all I wanted.
Orient Beach is the best beach on the island if you're by yourself and/or want your beach to include drinks and music and food and watersports and people to talk to and cute French boys to flirt with. L'hoste has the best location on this beach: in the middle, between the crowded Club orient side and the almost isolated north side. Beach chairs and a "place to belong" is included with the hotel.
AND THE STAFF! They are so sweet and made sure that I, as a single lady travelling by myself, had the best experience possible. I didn't get all of their names, but every employee at the front desk always treated me like visiting royalty, and all of the (gorgeous) guys who worked at La Playa (the beach bar associated with the hotel) made me feel like a beautiful queen, chatting with me and slipping me a few tastes of their in-house infused rums between the less-potent Caribs that I was ordering. Gregory, at La Playa, took it upon himself to be my personal "relaxation guru" (he called himself "black jesus"!!!) and talked me through shedding my stress and into enjoying my time on the island and my life in general. His words were really the meditation I needed: it literally took 2 days for me to finally relax my over-stimulated brain and a full 4 to reach that wonderful Beach Bum Nirvana feeling. To cap my trip off, at the end of my last afternoon on the beach, a group of 15 French children showed up with instruments and performed Capoeira right in front of me. Yup, it was one of "those" moments Five days in this paradise is worth years in therapy.
Rent a car if you want to explore the island...but it's perfectly nice to just stay right in Orient Bay for a week. I think I would have reached Beach Bum Nirvana more quickly if I hadn't been zipping around the island so much. I rented a car (if you like video games, you'll like driving here) and the only problem I had was finding the entrance to the hotel. The road on which the hotel is actually located was gated and I couldn't figure out how to get in. I ended up just following the signs for Club Orient and the hotel is about a half mile down the sandy road to the left.

Room Tip: The rooms in the white building out back are the "monastic" rooms. Perfectly fine, but sim...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank aliciazenobia
Reviewed 5 April 2014

recently returned to this inn for my 5-6 stay there and would say it was probably the least satisfying of all. the staff remain extremely friendly but the 3rd flr room i stayed in is showing age in the bedding, matress and covers. also, i received several bites although i could never detect mosquitoes to be present so i have to wonder if i picked them up inside of the room-i must honestly say i never saw any bugs in the room however. one last shortcoming is the water was continually being shut off to the rooms by apparently a major water project for the area but the hotel never put a schedule or sign out warning to be ready for these outages. as planned as these projects are i have a difficult time not believing advance notice is not given to the effected areas which should be communicated to the hotel clients as far as in advance as possible. i watched a departing family have to bathe in the swimming pool before departing to the airport.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jmzTavaresFl
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We stayed the first week of March. L'Hoste is a very pretty hotel, right next to the beach. This was one of the reasons we selected this hotel. The other reason was that it was a small hotel, with large, nicely furnished and clean rooms. My wife & I had a room on the third floor, with balcony and cathedral ceilings. My two boys had a family room (two Kings) on the ground floor. Air conditioning worked well, there was hot water all day and all the TV channels we needed. The staff were all friendly (Kelly, Kathy & Sandy) and helped us book a number of trips.

Breakfast at La Playa was always good, as were the drinks. We never had any issues getting beach loungers, even though the beach was usually busy. Lunch at La Playa was always excellent and, as elsewhere on the island, relatively expensive. There was plenty of amusements on the beach (Para sailing, sailing, snorkelling, etc.) Lots of ladies on the beach selling tops, trinkets, hats and other inexpensive items.

We took a trip over to Anguilla, to Dolphin Discovery (great experience); Snorkelling with Capt. Alan (Oyster Bay) and one evening in Grand Case for the Carnival. There were a selection of restaurants close to the hotel and those we tried were all good - different styles. We ate at Little Italy twice during our week. The staff really fussed over us and provided us some "treats" to try, including a black truffle salami, on our first visit. Excellent food (like being in Italy). Say Hi to Anna!

I don't have anything negative to say. Was everything perfect? Thankfully, no. We felt comfortable and able to enjoy the hotel and surroundings. The bathroom door had to be locked to keep the door closed - but did it affect our enjoyment? Not at all. We can all find fault if we want to - but I'd rather look at all the positive things than the odd little thing that isn't perfect...Life's too short to spend it complaining. Yes, I thoroughly recommend this hotel, unless you are a fault finder by nature!

Room Tip: We had room 306.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Princess Heights Hotel
Princess Heights Hotel
#2 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Mercure Saint-Martin Marina & Spa

Been to La Playa Orient Bay? Share your experiences!