“Good Hotel and had great holiday (The food is great there too!)”
Review of Pegasus Hotel

Pegasus Hotel
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Roda
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed at the Pegasus Hotel in Roda in May. We had a wonderful holiday in Corfu. I recommend it has a holiday destination. Corfu has a lot going for it... Although you might not realise it at the time (it was when we returned from our next holiday in Mallorca, we were thinking how much better was our holiday in Corfu)

About Roda
~~~~~~~~~~
Roda is a small town and a fishing village (although it looked more like a tourist town to me). It has three long streets, which are walkable. Roda has everything you want : Tourist shops, supermarket, excursion companies, bars, restaurants, bakery, quad wheel hire, local car rental companies, DVD rental, disco... It has a sandy beach (though I though the beach in Acharavi was nicer and only 3-4mins by car). The towns Corfu as a lot smaller and more rustic then say you might expect in Spain.

Room
~~~~~
The rooms at Pegasus are good size and have balconies. They have wardrobe, modern ac (with remote), TV (though not sure if reception was good), good sized comfortable bed. Shower and WC. Enough plus and socket to charge phones, fridge (included in our package). (We did not have glasses in the room). Wi-fi was available in lobby and some rooms close to reception.

Our Trip - Independent holiday
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We spent a lot of time researching hotels in Corfu. I am glad we choose the Pegasus hotel.

However, if we had to do it again. I would suggest 12 day duration. I would suggest a 3 day stay in the capital of Corfu (if your budget will allow) or perhaps close by towns in Benitses or Kanoni might be possible alternatives). The remaining 9 days, I would recommend in Roda which are perfect for exploring the sights which are mostly in the North and to try the fantastic food.

(The drive from Roda to Corfu is 45minutes, although it always took me longer about 75 minutes).

We enjoyed seeing Corfu town by night and looking at the Greeks promenading. The last bus leaves Corfu city at 8pm for Roda, however, we had a rental car, so could enjoy seeing Corfu city by night....

Greek Food - BIGGEST SURPRISE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In Spain and Italy, the food in tourist areas is often disappointing. However, in Corfu, it is the complete opposite. The best food is in the tourist area. The food is not sophisticated, it is just simply fresh and simple and delicious. Their olive oil is homemade and is awesome. The food is so fresh. I finally 'get' what Jamie Oliver is on about. It is common in Greece to be invited round to the kitchen to see the 'fish' or 'meat' before it is cooked. In Greece, they have to say 'frozen' in the menu, which is why the food is so wholesome. The oregano is straight from the mountains. (Our favourites places to eat: In Sidari - Konaki, in Roda - Afrodite restaurant (under hotel), Petroni steki). In Corfu town (just south near the windmill and hotel) - Nautilus (not on trip advisor, but really nice modern Green food). Do try sauted weeds (Xorta) if you see it on the menu!. If I am to be honest, after 10 days of delicious Greek food, I was craving for a different cuisine. There is an expensive Italian in Roda. However, in Sidari, you will find a Chinese and an Indian....

Swimming Pool
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Before some break hotels, tent to put swimming pools at the front of the hotel. I like the Pegasus as their is as the back

Sat Nav
~~~~~~
My tomtom did not work in Corfu. However, you should download, Google Maps onto your Android phone before leaving home. (use the download offline map option). We missed a lot of turnings, as road signage is not so great for smaller places. You will need a good road map too.

Greek Night
~~~~~~~~~~
Make sure you give it a go! You will be impressed

Excursion Companies
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The are excursion companies, which are very reasonably priced. They have a tour every day. (the ones I took were from nsk travel)

May
~~~
May is still low season... it is a little bit quieter... but it was perfect for us. If you want busy bars.... suggest later months.

Mosquitos
~~~~~~~~
We read about mosquitos at night. It was scary on the first couple of days. The restaurants tended to be open. However, the mosquitos never bothered us. My partner and I were not bitten once. (We went over the top and bought nets and plug-in repellent, but never needed to be used). Just apply a bit of common sense and check the room at night. Don't leave windows open at night. (suggest you seek advice from the hotel)....

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Flashback1966

Reviewed 17 May 2013

Five of us went for a week to Roda to celebrate Greek Easter. The staff were very nice and helpful, esp. Irena who does the night and breakfast shift.
We noticed the receptionist had nice nails and she arranged for the technician to visit the hotel (they even supplied a ground floor room) to do my daughter's and my nails. This is an example of how helpful the staff were.

We did have to change our room due to noise but when we mentioned the problem at reception we were offered a different room to move into at our leisure the same day.

We enjoyed the breakfast, but I don't eat cooked breakfast and enjoyed going down early every morning to the friendly Irene and having lots of coffee over looking the swimming pool watching the swifts(?) dive bomb the swimming pool and eating natural yogurt with honey and muesli, o happy days.

I will def visit there again, maybe in late September. Yes there are mosquitoes in Corfu, so you need to be sensible and bring a machine and spray your body, before going out in the evening. Not one of us were bitten following these precautions.

Only disappointment was that Bangalos the old restaurant on the sea front had not opened yet, they will have in September.......that's another good reason to go back, that and the wonderful fish in the Roda Park and cocktails (Tested) which were the best at the Scuna.

We all found the beds very comfortable and the two pillow supplied gave the choice of a massive or a flat pillow, great.

Room Tip: Not facing the road. 215 was great
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank ladies_that_lunch429
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Stayed at this Hotel July 2012 a lovely family run hotel they couldn't do enough for you and made you feel so welcome. Excellant pool and grounds. Only downside is you have to pay extra for the air conditioning in you room which is a must in high season. Would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: dont ask for a room with sunny balcony in high season as it makes the room to hot even with the air...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2012

my husband and I have just come to the end of a brilliant, relaxing 2nd honeymoon an all credit due to the hotel an staff at Pegasus!
Room 111, lovely location with fantastic views of the hills and olive grove, large pool area, hotel is close to bars and beach. a nice stroll down after a full day of sunbathing before having a meal st the fantastic Alexandros Greek taverna by the beach front, fantastic!!!
Perfect time of year to come if u just want to chill out relax an take in the Sun.

Even though the hotel was empty ( close up for the end of season 31 Oct) it didn't reflect on the service as staff were extremely friendly, curtious and accommodating even let us have our room until we left in the evening so got a full last day.
Will defo be back! ticks all the boxes!!!

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank dizzyhead68
Reviewed 11 October 2012

We stayed at the Pegasus Hotel for 2 weeks during September into October. When we arrived the girl on reception was expecting us and knew my name before I had even reached the desk. Great first impression as it seemed well organised.

Room was clean and a decent size. 40euros for use of the fridge for 2 weeks seemed a little unreasonable so decided not to bother with that. Room was cleaned everyday except the Sundays I think and the towels and sheets were changed a few times during our stay.

Breakfast is the same everyday which if staying for 2 weeks can be a little hard to face by week 2 but it's no different from any other hotel in Europe.

Pool area is nice and there is plenty of sun loungers. Food at the snack bar was nice and very reasonable price wise. My only complaint about the pool area is the amount of wasps around it. This appears to be a problem all over Corfu because the island is very green but I felt the hotel could maybe have tried to keep the wasps away somehow.

Couldn't fault any of the staff at the hotel, all very polite, from the girls on reception to the lady serving coffee in the morning and even the girl at the pool bar, always gave a smile and a hello.

There are a lot of regulars that go to this hotel and I can see why, compared to other hotels I saw in Roda the Pegasus looks to be by far the best. Very close to the beach, bars, shops and restaurants.

Sadly there are A LOT of mosquitoes in Corfu which did make it hard to sleep. You could say this isn't the hotels fault but when the cleaners leave the balcony door open everyday then they are partly to blame. Normally mosquitoes are easy to catch/kill but the ones in Corfu appear to have been trained by the SAS, Very good at hiding and only coming out to buzz in your ear when you switch the light off.

Great holiday - Excellent Hotel - Would return without hesitation however Roda does lack things to do if you get fed up lying around.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hartdave
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Beautifully clean hotel with friendly staff. Nothing seemed like too much trouble and there was a really good range of snacks and drinks available. Breakfast was always served by a very friendly and hospitable lady ( I believe she was one of the owners). Located in a really good spot in easy walking distance of Roda town and the beach. The pool and surrounding area was clean and well set up. Ideal for couples and families, the pool was child friendly as well as suitable for more confident swimmers. Not the place if you are looking for loud, drunken nights but perfect as a relaxing get away. In my view it is definitely worth a return visit.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are probably a little noisier although not a huge problem.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sunita S
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Ok, I've been to Greece many times so know what to expect in terms of star rating, however this hotel was not as good as I expected it to be based on previous reviews.

Firstly the positives;
Short to town and beach from hotel
Large pool area with plenty of beds and mattresses for these
Tasty food at snack bar
All staff really friendly
Breakfast ok, although would be very repetitive if you were there for two weeks (we only stayed for one)
Our (second) room had a shower cubicle - only one I've ever seen in 10 years of going to Greece! (room 111 with pool view)

Negatives;
First two nights we were in a room at front of hotel which was extremely noisy and we couldn't sleep. Road is very, very noisy and we asked to move rooms within 15mins of arriving. As soon as another room became available we were moved. Even once we moved the balconies for all the other rooms are at the sides of the hotel,so road noise is still heard. There is also a road that runs behind the hotel which was noisy when you were at the pool area!
Rooms are an ok size. The bathroom of the first room was very small, but the second one was a good size. Beds were really, really hard and uncomfortable.
Pool area was noisy. There is a house next to hotel and most mornings there was chainsaw noise - I think a lumberjack must own it! They insist on playing music around the pool, so no chance of peace and quiet to read and relax - I think it's to drown out the road noise!
Pool could have been cleaner, only seen it cleaned once when we were there and it was full of bugs and even a frog one day! Also blue feet when you touched the bottom which they need to sort out. It was awash with wasps and apparently had been all summer. People were getting stung alot, and I think the hotel need to consider spraying to keep this under control. There was also a Hornets nest outside our room that you had to walk past to get to pool area - they were attempting to get rid of this themselves but apparently had been there for a while - so maybe it was time to call in the professionals?
They allowed people to have their dogs round the pool area and on two occasions there was dog poo - one of the people who had dogs there worked at the hotel so no excused for this - should have been cleaned up!

I like Roda, nice people and lovely food however beach not nice. Much better going to Kassiopi on the bus from Roda as the beach there is fantastic.

Overall it was ok, and we enjoyed our evenings in Roda with some delicious meals at the Roda Park and Roxanne's being particularly good. But it wasn't the nice quiet, relaxing week we were after which was a pity as we were blessed with blue skies and sunshine every day - just wish I had taken ear plugs!

I would go back to Roda again, but not back to this hotel due to the noise levels.

Room Tip: Only 4 rooms have a pool view and are right at back of hotel. Room 111 is one of these but didn'...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DarlingGirl_72
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roda
Coral Hotel
Ariti Grand Hotel
Ariti Grand Hotel
#3 of 5 in Kanoni
Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa

Been to Pegasus Hotel? Share your experiences!