“Great Holiday” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 26 Speciality Lodging in Roda
Nottingham
“Great Holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

Just returned from Venus Apts, had a great time. Stayed in one of the 2 bedroomed apartments. I wasnt phased by a couple of poor reviews on here, they really are unfounded. Yes the rooms a looking a bit tired and a due for a bit of a spruce up. But the apartment was functional plenty of room and come with good aircon and working appliances, and plenty of hot water. The room was cleaned 2 or 3 times a week, and the bedding was changed during the middle of the stay. However its not the room you go on holiday for, and the pool and gardens were excellent. Roda was a very nice resort and the Venus Apts are as good a place as any to stay, and would recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lastfour

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Fife
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

I would love to agree with the people who have criticized the Venus Apartments in order to keep my little bit of heaven to myself, but I cannot tell a lie. We were there for two weeks from 5th June in a one-bedroom apartment for two people. My husband and I are in our early 60s, so bear this in mind when reading my review.

The Venus Apartments are situated in a very peaceful area of Roda, but only a few minutes away from the nearest Supermarket, and around a 10 minute stroll into town, although there is a restaurant probably less than 5 minutes’ walk away and also some waterholes. They are around 150 metres from a stony beach. The beach in Roda itself is okay but it never tempted us to use it. When we were on Corfu we needed a torch at night as a circuit of street lights were out on the beach road in front of the lane up to the Venus, and the lane itself, and it was pitch black.

Our apartment was on the ground level. You entered the door straight into a surprisingly well-equipped kitchen (toastie maker, electric kettle, microwave, oven and two hobs). Not much work surface to prepare food, but there is a good sized table with a glass top over the tablecloth so instead of using it as we did for sun creams, etc., it could be used as a surface for food preparation. The bathroom is a big enough. The shower was not very powerful, we are used to a power shower, but there was always hot or warm water, with no leakage out of the shower cubical (which was a good size). The down side is that toilet paper should not be flushed and if the buckets were not emptied daily there could be a mild aroma!!! I would recommend taking an air freshener with you.

The twin bedded room was reasonably sized with a double wardrobe with two long drawers at the bottom, a dressing table with one long drawer, and a little bedside table with two drawers. The beds were not too bad but still a little firm for older bones!

The beds were changed regularly - maybe four or five times in the fortnight, and the towels three or four times.

The terrace was a nice size and had a table and two chairs and a clothes airer.

There are 19 apartments/duplexes at the Venus. Everything is very well spaced out with lots of garden area with sunbeds and sun umbrellas on the grass so there was PLENTY of room. The paved area around the lovely pools had no furniture on it which I found to be great. When the pool was quiet we were entertained with House Martins (or was it Swallows or Swifts?) swooping down for a drink or to cool off.

The safes are in Charlie’s Hideaway and cost us 15 euros for the two weeks. We never needed air con, but I understand that it is very reasonably priced.

As is the case in most self-catering accommodations, no washing-up liquid is supplied, nor tea towels, pegs, loo paper, etc. I do wonder what some people expect from self-catering holidays. I keep saying, if you want the Hilton or Ritz, then pay for it. You will then have the RIGHT to complain about things.

We found the owner of the Venus Apartments, Charlie, to be a lovely man. You must try his food as it is delicious. We had his home-made moussaka and I must say it was the best I have ever had, ever.

We met some of Charlie’s friends - Stuart and Yvonne - who were lovely. Hope all goes well with you Yvonne with your future surgery, and you get a lovely frock for the wedding.

Also at our apartments were two nice couples - Colin and Vicki with Macy, and John and Christine. It makes our holiday meeting pleasant people, so thanks to all.

Restaurants - we went to Nikos, Dolphin, El Mar, New Port, Pangalos (Kind Hearted People) and had wonderful meals there in the evenings. I will write reviews about these if they are on TA. We also went to a couple of other restaurants which were also good, but the ones I’ve mentioned we found the best. We never had a bad meal. Greek food is so tasty. For snacks we would recommend Pirates or Crusoes. Great range of snack food and also very enjoyable.

We only did one trip and that was to Paleokistritsa. I think this trip is worth going on, but we won’t do it again.

I have attached some photos with descriptions. If I can I will attach a short clip of the Venus pools and gardens.

Would I recommend these apartments? We hope to return next year, but that’s dependent on flights. I hope this answers the question.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank EALFife
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

I'll start by saying that if I'd have believed the majority of reviews I'd read on this website about the Venus apartments, I never would have booked them. I'm glad I did book it though, we had a great holiday! When I read previous reviews complaining that there was only one toilet roll, one wardrobe, or that it was too dark for some poor girl to apply her make-up, I decided that these were such trivial things that they did not warrant such negative reviews. Having booked and stayed at Venus I believe I was right to ignore them.
I truly believe that a review should reflect the star rating of the accommodation, and that is what mine will do. We booked the apartments for a week from 17th June at a cost of £170. The accommodation is basic and not particularly spacious, but it had everything you need for a self-catering holiday. I'd assess it as 2-3 star, location and the advantage of aicon making it three star in my opinion. Apparantly (according to my wife), Greek Island self-catering holidays are generally pretty basic. There was a balcony with a great view of the pool area, the shower was spacious & we had a large fridge with a microwave and small two ring hob (which we didn't use). Aircon was available at a cost of 30 euros per week, which we gladly paid. We were there at the end of June & it was scorchio! Temps were in the high thirties even late in the day. Rooms are a little bit tired and dated, but the apartment and bedding were clean. The maids cleaned three times when we stayed, although only changed the towels once. This wasn't a problem for us.
The apartments are in a secluded location just up a small track from the beach & promenade. I use these words loosely as neither are what we traditionally think of as a beach & promenade. The beach is shingle & very narrow, but practically deserted with lovely clear blue water. The promenade is actually a lightly used road in a poor state of repair. At night it is well lit & we had no problems walking in & out of the bar/restaurant area in Roda. The walk to the beach is less than a hundred meters I reckon, and the walk to the main bar area is about a ten to fifteen minute stroll. There are several bars and some nice restaurants along the way and it's a great place to watch the sun go down. Nearest supermarket is just a five minute walk from the apartment & is well stocked & reasonably priced.
Charlie is the proprietor, and almost the entire workforce! He checked us in, served us at the bar, made food, watered the grass, did the laundry & just about everything else you could think of. I'd estimate he has to be nearing seventy and is going deaf, but nothing is too much trouble for him. We had several bar meals there for lunch & food was good and reasonably priced. We did not drink there in the evenings as it was very quiet, probably as a result of the bad reviews. At the time that we were there, there was only one other apartment occupied which meant there was certainly no shortage of sun beds. The pool is large with a separate plunge pool and children's pool. It is set within beautiful well kept gardens which have a small children's play area.
Roda itself was lovely and almost unspoiled. It had some great traditional restaurants and bars, but was not too commercialised. I would say that it is not the place for younger couples & groups looking to dance the night away. I did not see a single nightclub, although a number of bars to stay open very late. I think that if there are people wanting to drink, they stay open. If not they close. You will also not find fast food outlets like Burger King, McDonalds, KFC etc, which in my world is a good thing. No Chinese or Indian that I noticed either, just good old-fashioned greek cooking. Yum.
We loved it, and the best recommendation is to say that we'd definitely go back to Roda & The Venus Apartments. We spoke to several people who have been returning over and over, and there's every possibility we may become like them.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank padster101
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

Three girls in a two bedroomed apartment.... Only one wardrobe. !
It was very dark inside, had to sit on the balcony to put our make up on !
The bathroom was very small, and the shower well you couldnt move !
One toilet roll, when we asked for more toilet roll we were told we had to supply our own, only one supplied !
We were there for a week, one lot of clean towels.... bedding to last for the week !
Had to keep the doors shut because wild cats on the site on our balcony and crept into room !
Sorry, wont be going back !

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Barbara M

Travellers are raving about these Roda hotels

West Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

Ok, where do i start? Ok, so the room's ceilings could do with a lick of paint, so what! Apart from that my partner and i found this little place great. The beddings and towels are clean, Charlie the owner is how a holiday resort owner should be, friendly and helpful, and unlike some other places at Roda, mentioning no names (Roda Oasis) it doesn't feel like he's trying to rob you of your money every chance he gets. The food is very well priced and plentiful and the location is ideal for both beach and the town for evenings out. Its perfect if you have kids as its just the right atmosphere, the pool is an excellent size and unlike other places (Roda Oasis) the air conditioning is priced fairly AND IT DOESN'T GET TURNED OFF DURING THE HOTTEST PART OF THE DAY, YOU'VE PAID, YOU CAN USE IT WHEN YOU WANT and you dont feel like your being constantly pestered to part with your money . There's simply nothing about it i didn't like. Relaxed, friendly and chilled atmosphere. You could do a lot worse (Roda Oasis) if you want a quiet holiday then there's no place better. Well done Charlie! The boy's done good. I'll be going back. Few people complaining about the rooms, get a grip, its a holiday home, you want brand spanking new bath robes and shiny taps? Go to a 4 star hotel. Its Greece for Gods sake, your in a privatley owned holiday home. We loved it.

Room Tip: The rooms from what i can see are all basically the same. They are all quiet, simple but comfortable...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank FallenEagle
Northampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

Ill start with a few positives: The apartments are in a good location with a lovely pool area. Roda had lovely restaurants, our favourite was the Roda Park.we had a great holiday, despite the awful apartments. We expected basic apartments but not the awful standard we got at the Venus.

Unfortunately the negatives far outweigh anything good about this place. Dirty apartments which are desperately in need of some care and attention. Bathroom was incredibly small, smelly and the bins were only emptied twice. Linen and towels were stained and threadbare. There was hardly any cutlery and crockery. the staff were quite dismissive and rude and didn't seem happy if you asked for anything. The bar area was always empty and the kitchen didn't look clean. Although the pool was lovely the water did turn our swimwear green which was concerning.

With a good clean and updating the apartments could be lovely especially if the staff learn to like their customers! Sadly not somewhere I would return to or recommend.

Room Tip: There are apparently a few that have been upgraded but sadly not the one we stayed in.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Birmingham, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

Struggled to know how to rate this, would say it is between a 2 and a 3. We booked it as a cheap week so we wern't expecting anything fancy, but have to concur with other reviews about the state of the apartments. The Venus is in a pleasant setting, a good way off the main road and in it's own grounds which are actually quite pretty & well kept. It was very quiet, especially at night which suited us well. We stayed in a studio (number 18) which had not been upgraded. It was depressing when we first entered, quite dark & dingy. Main complaint was the bathroom which was about 4 feet square. The toilet leaked when it was flushed so the floor was always wet which was disgusting. Shower functional but old fashioned. Bin only emptied by maid once during the week. but you can do it yourself as we did, there is a communal bin just down the road. The mattresses were terrible, very lumpy & uncomfortable. Get the impression that Charlie bought a job lot of everything when the Venus opened & it has never been replaced. The sheets were old & thin, and one had a hole in it. Towels old & worn, yes they are stained, maybe everything gets washed in cold water? Definately need to replace & upgrade.
The bar area is also dated, the only time we used it was when there was a massive storm one night & it was impossible to get anywhere else to eat. Charlie did provide a lot of meals that night (standard burger & chips type fare) but the place was empty every other night. Kitchen did not look too clean, but we survived! Charlie is the only staff member who speaks English. We are not the sort who expect everyone to speak English wherever we go, but the young woman who helps Charlie does appear surly, and doesn't attempt any English whatsoever.
On the plus side, the pool was clean & there were plenty of sun beds & umbrellas available.
We only ate out once in Acharavi (Woodys) and walked into Roda every other night. Everywhere we ate was fine, including the Coral Hotel, Roda Park, Roda Inn & several more. The Brandy Shop is a lovely laid back bar facing the beach, which is spotlessly clean & very friendly & relaxed. The rep was fine for what we wanted her for, and we recommend a trip into Corfu Town and also Theo's Cruise (although Theo does come across like part of a Carry On film, and can be a bit 'too much'!
Would return to Roda, and would go back to the Venus if it had a revamp & a good clean!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bloom_7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roda
Pegasus Hotel
Coral Hotel
Coral Hotel
#1 of 15 in Roda
Aspioti - Pipitsa Luxury Apartments

Been to Charlies Venus Apartments? Share your experiences!