The Fountain Inn
US$252
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Stayed one night, room clean and what you would expect for an olde inn. Booked a double bed online, but got a twin - when asked the owner was told to push the beds together!
Had dinner in the bar, requested steak, but they had none? I would have thought as it's a pub menu staple they would have got some in for the weekend? I had Wiltshire ham, eggs and twice cooked chips, does cooking the chips twice make them soggy? and no garnish except a huge pile of Branston pickle? My wife had the burger. I wish we had read the earlier review, I can confirm it was tasteless.
Our stay was redeemed by the full English breakfast, very good.

Room Tip: Don't expect too much.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2013

This is the sort of village inn we thought had all but disappeared. We spent a short two night break here. Our room was clean, warm and comfortable. The bar was very popular with the local residents, in fact our second night turned out to be 'crib night' with several teams playing in a local league. The food was very good, all freshly prepared to order and the menu was quite broad for a place of this size. Ample off-road parking available at the rear. The only draw back was that you needed to stand in the car park to obtain a decent signal for your mobile although the host did offer the use of the internal land line if we needed it. We would recommend this inn for a short break in the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Called in here with friends on Saturday 23rd Feb 2013 just before the rugby match and wondered whether it could be too late to eat. No problem, the owner checked with the lady chef and all was well. We ate the home made curry dish in front of the fire and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Good beer in good company we could not want for more. The TV was not intrusive and it was fun listening to the odd locals comments too. Thankfully The Fountain saved our day after the shocking experience at the Green Dragon, Alderbury. (see my review elsewhere). We will be back again later in the summer. Thank you!

Room Tip: Although we only visited here to eat on this occasion I have stayed here many years ago and found everything very acceptable then (long before I became an avid Triper!)
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 November 2012

i recently stayed at the fountain inn for one night. I could not check in until 6pm as they were not open and i was not made aware of this at the time of booking. It was a major inconvenience. Upon arrival the owner i presume was very rude and unwelcoming. The room was was small and very cold, the bed was extremely uncomfortable, leaving you with back ache in the morning. I could also hear everything from the pub below. When i entered the bar for some food everyone just stared, cleary obvious i was not a regular and did not belong. Traveling as a single female, this was very intimidating. The only saving grace was the food. My dinner was delicious and presented well, same for the breakfast. I wouldnt recommend this as a getaway!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We came here for three nights to get away from it all with the dogs. The rooms were spotless. The cleaner even cleaned the dogs food bowl! The room was lovely, the village quaint and community spirited. The locals were friendly and welcoming in the pub too. Food plentiful and breakfast wholesome while at the same time accomodating any dietary requirements. Wonderful to find somewhere that served outdoor bred (free range) bacon etc. I was able to eat ethically.
The dogs were welcomed and given dog treats in the bar too. We are responsible dog owners and we towelled them down and wiped their feet before bringing them through the door and always kept them with us but you'd never believe dogs had been there; not a hair or a whiff.
What a relaxing few days.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple