“Sleeping in a Jungle with all the conforts needed !!!!”

Paganakan Dii Tropical Retreat
Rome, Italy
“Sleeping in a Jungle with all the conforts needed !!!!”
Reviewed 21 April 2010

we stay in Paganakan Dii only for one night. Anton was very friendly and helpful the food was great and cheap. location is amazing your balcony is ON the forest it self and is enough to stay there for 10 minutes to see an incredible number of insects and animals. we loved the room, air conditioning and toilet. even if is not a 5 star hotel is the perfect compromise between the adventure and the comfort. we wish to spend there more time. Loved it!!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Polish first
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 12 April 2010

We only stayed at Paganakan Dii for one night, but wish we could have stayed longer! New facilities surrounded by jungle canopy. The common area is open air and very comfortable with cushions for lounging. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. Free breakfast!

Underneath the longhouses there are hammocks where I spent some time reading my book. We had a clear night and it was incredibly relaxing to lay out and gaze at the stars and listen to nature.

We had a chalet and it was very cute! Nothing fancy, but the bed was comfortable. We had a fan and A/C but only needed to use the fan. The bathroom was the part that I loved... I've always wanted to use an open-air bathroom! The bathroom was huge and looked down a hill upon forest canopy. Very clean and I LOVED it!

When we first arrived we thought the grounds were huge because it took the taxi awhile to get to the actual place where we slept. In the morning we went walking around and once you exit the main area it's mainly staff accommodations. I was hoping for trails through the jungle, but I digress. We enjoyed our stay and would definitely return!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Lee,NH
Reviewed 6 April 2010

As with the previous reviewers, I found PDII to be a perfect place to base my exploration of the area. I stayed in the longhouse (americans, think "bunkhouse" ) because the chalets were full and though I had reservations as an older traveler and a light sleeper, I found it relaxing, comfortable, and enjoyed this form of accommodation. It was clean, quiet, and completely relaxed place to stay. The feeling you get there is that the staff are there to support you in your visit to their area, their home. I spent 3 nights at PDII and my only regret is I didn't have time to return there at the end of my trip. This is a clean affordable really good accommodation for travelers who are there to explore the area. It isn't a "resort", you have to "go" to the area attractions, a very short happy free ride. If you are going to the Kinabatangan River you can skip the proboscus monkey reserve, you'll see plenty on the river. I didn't make it to Sepilok, but the Rainforest Development Center was great, especially for birding, you can walk in at sunrise and then pay your admission when the ticket office opens at 8am. Thank You to everyone there and to all the reviewers on Trip advisor who took the time after their trips to write the reviews that led me to this excellent place to stay.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2010

We stayed in one of the Stilt Houses for two nights. These were ingeniously designed to mix a comfortable accommodation with a feel of almost being in the jungle. The view from the shower into the treetops was particularly memorable. Excellent accommodation, at good price.

The staff were friendly and organised, we even got offered dinner when we arrived at 10pm (after cancelled flights nightmare). They also arranged for us a tour with Mr Aji, whose day tour I would highly recommend (a long drive, but he found almost everything we could hope to see).

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank c0sm0d0
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 March 2010

We were a group of four adults and we stayed in 2 duplexes plenty of space and comfort. The duplex is really great with its movable walls and outdoor shower with an occasional squirrel and even little monkey visitors to the bathroom. The setting is so peaceful there is an old park below with deers and even some old crocodiles (in not such good circumstances) if the park was brought back to its former glory it would be a absolute gem.

The staff are really friendly we spent time talking to Rose and Lillian and her mum and to the other wonderful staff. Anton should be very proud of them he has himself a great team. The food is good quality and the prices very reasonable. We were so pleased with our bill when we left it was fantastic value.

I would give Sandakan city a wide berth it is hot and dirty without much of interest I think Sepilok is the place to stay you only need a day visit to the city itself. In Sepilok you have the Sanctuary and the Rainforest Discovery Centre we really enjoyed the RDC several hours can easily be spent walking around in the forest and climbing the towers. The sanctuary was a little disappointing when we were there only 3 orangs about. I must admit I was ignorant to the fact that you just get to walk around a circular walkway for two short periods a day and you do not visit any part of the rehabilitation centre itself as seen on the many TV docos I have seen on this place. That is only for super stars and the likes but I suppose they have to make money somehow.

It is a worthwhile to book one of the river cruises in the jungle whilst staying there we used Last Frontier but there are many to choose from and I'm sure you would enjoy any of them.

As Australians we visited the Memorial Park not far from the retreat it was very moving and a great memory for those poor men who were lost by Australia and UK I understand there is a bigger one at Ranau and Labuan maybe one day I will get there too. Lest we Forget.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank jules8556
Poland
Reviewed 12 March 2010

If you are going anywhere near to Sandakan/Sepilok it is only choice for night stay. The place is incredible!

In restaurant try fried chicken in special Pagakan Dii spicy souce- very tasty!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Yorkshire
Reviewed 7 March 2010

We stayed for 6 nights with our young family, and we think this place is just wonderful. Anton and his team have created something very special indeed.

We had a private room (duplex) which had a double bed and bunk beds, it has lovely white sheets and the walls slide back so that you can lie in bed and look out at the jungle. The cafe/restaurant is good value and you can get free lifts to Sepilok Orang-Utan Sanctuary and the Rainforest Discovery Centre.

It is very relaxing and the staff are lovely. We took Anton's advice and did an overnight 2 day 1 night trip with Mr Aji to Kinabatangan River. We saw Orang-Utans and Proboscis Monkeys in the wild, as well as at the Sanctuary and at Labuk Bay. If we hadn't had the children with us, we think a one-day trip with Mr Aji would have been better as the second day was mostly travelling back in time for lunch, so not much time to do anything. However, with kids the 1 day would have been too long.

Paganakan Dii is an excellent place to stay if you are in the area, we can't imagine anywehere better or exciting to stay if you are on a budget.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Lou_Simon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sepilok
Sepilok Nature Resort
NAK Hotel
NAK Hotel
#7 of 32 in Sandakan
Sepilok Forest Edge Resort

Been to Paganakan Dii Tropical Retreat? Share your experiences!