“Fantastic Welcome”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Platanias
Christina Apartments
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Platanias
Reviewed 15 July 2013

This was the third time we've stopped at these apartments and they never disappoint. Kostas and Nikos work hard to make sure that the holiday is enjoyable from start to finish and there is always a great atmosphere. It's no wonder that many go back each year and we are already planning to return next year too.

I have mobility issues and these apartments are ideally located for me as the surroundings are flat, there are two supermarkets, a bakery and some nice restaurants virtually across the road and even the bus stop is near the bakery. If you get an apartment at the rear you may also be lucky to get a sea view. The barbecue with Greek dancing should definitely not be missed and they also do a quiz night, bingo and karaoke but our most memorable trips have been organised by Nikos when he has taken us for meals at places that you would not normally get to visit without native knowledge for a true taste of Crete - and at exceptionally reasonable prices too!!

There are several trips available on a yellow train which can be booked locally, and there is also a red train but the booking station is near Lidl. Taxis to and from Rethymnon cost 10 Euros. Bus tickets cost 1.20 Euros but have to be bought before boarding but these can be bought from reception or the bar at the apartments, or from supermarkets and kiosks.

There is a market in the square on a Thursday and the bus stops there near the tourist information office. If you go down the road past the tourist information place this brings you to the old town and we have several times visited a restaurant down here called The Lemon Tree which is excellent. The bus takes you into Rethymnon in one direction and to Panormo at the other and the last bus is at 11pm.

There is a car hire place directly across the road and Kostas and Nikos are very proud of their island and happy to help with information and directions on places to visit for the more adventurous.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter as on main road and some have a sea view/partial sea view. Ground floo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank ElaineM0rris

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Enjoyed our week in June so much we have booked to go back for 2 weeks in July.
As previous guests have said the staff create a holiday atmosphere that is infectious.
Starting with a warm welcome, staff go out of their way to be helpful. They genuinely want you to have a good holiday.
Adequate self catering facilities if you choose to eat in microwave, toaster, kettle, 2 rings and sufficient crockery and utensils, although there are plenty of tavernas nearby. Full English breakfast served at a reasonable price. Barbecues on Friday night with Greek dancing excellent value.
Roomy balcony with clothes airier (no need for towels thrown over balcony- pet hate of
Sliding glass door, sliding shutters didn't need air con but might do in July.
Five minutes from beach, would recommend shoes for sea as pebbly by shore but can easily buy these in resort about 7 euros
Plenty to do in area definitely visit Panormos
Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for high room at back as quieter
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tropicality
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I absolutely loved staying here. Don't get me wrong on arrival my heart sank and thought god is this where I am staying. But as soon as we walked through the front door to be greeted by the family my opinion changed. We have never felt more welcomed into somewhere before. They attend to your every need. The rooms are basic and could do with being updated but they have what you need and are clean. The bar area is great and do lovely basic snacks. The pool is nice and only couple mins from the beach. There are lovely walks in the are and a great little train that does scenic tours. Can't wait to go back here one day.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank lk153
Reviewed 9 January 2013

The acommodation is standard Greek - Basic, but all the rooms are clean and so are the bar area and pool. You have everything you need, including aircon in the rooms, but the beds can be a little hard.The family that run this place are fantastic and make everyone feel welcome. Its always lively, but never full of idiots and the atmosphere day and night is great and its a nice place to have a drink in the evening. Snacks and breakfasts are fine, but nothing special. Staying here is more about the experience and the poeple so go prepared to get involved and talk to people. I agree with some of the other reviews about this place and the resort in asking what people see in it, but its the kind of place that if you take the time to get to know people, you have a very genuine experience and fantastic time. If you want to have a great time in a place that is not always polished and perfect stay here. If you want immaculate surroundings and your every whim served in an artificial souless environment, book in to one of the 5 star hotels - there are a few

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank AndyEight
Reviewed 11 November 2012

I have just read the review form joeange71, sorry to say not quite sure how they came up with all that, we were there at the same time as these and they seemed to fit in very well. We how ever kept ourselves to ourselves, did not join in with anything, did not spend time round the pool, always at the beach, only had a couple of drinks at the hotel but was not treated any different nor felt unwelcome, welcome you was, that is for sure. I do have to agree, the hotel could do with a bit of attention, yes things were a bit dodgy (electrics) bathrooms were small, bed was hard, air conditioning was expensive (not that we used it) yes it is on the main road, but then so were most of the others. We have been spoilt with the last few holidays (5 star) Egypt and Cape Verde (you must go) but having been to Greece before we knew it would be basic, but on saying that I do wish we had paid a bit more for better. If you want a basic holiday a made welcome, then go. There is a good beach up near Sky restaurant/bar/takeaway, where there is an English lady (Hilary) and Cretian husband on the beach to look after you.

Room Tip: We had 204, was not too bad, but ask for rooms at the back, as the front is on the main road.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Stephen B
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We stayed at the christina apartments from the 27th september to the 11th october 2012..
well firstly i would like to ask..how the hell does this resort get such great reviews and why do folk keep going back????
upon arriving via coach i noticed how cramped the pool area was and the FACT its bascically on the road and anyone or everyone can walk into the resort as they plz providing they buy a drink the resort owners allow them free access to EVERYTHING../everything we have paid the privialge for..
The rooms
we stayed in room 208 a family of 4.
my husband and i had to sleep in seperate beds ..
the beds were so hard sleeping was impossible
the room faced the pool and road area and was extremly noisy at night making sleep even more impossible.
my husband and i got moved to another room as they could not provide a double bed for us in our family room we had to pay a further 30 euros extra for the pleasure of being able to sleep in the same bed .
The electric cooker which is linked up to the sink kept giving us electric shocks and when complained to management was informed " its almost end of season we will get it sorted next season and was informed to use the cooker in our childrens apartment ..( i declined this as once bitten they say ) also im a firm beliver WATER AND ELECTRIC DONT MIX ..
The famous BBQ..
by god if u dont attened ur lifes are made hell.. trust me on this
u get singled out and left out of everything....
it seems u either dance their tune or ur not allowed to dance at all...
Nickos arranges certains trips for the resort
be prepared
u think ur going one place but u actully end up something u dont expect..
ie the springs (water full )
we assumed that this was were we was going but ended up 15 mintues up the road at a tavern
were your food is choosen for you by nickos and ur told how wonderful everything is ..
what he fails to tell you is you all have to pay 13 euros each to share plates of food .which mainly consisted of PORK more PORK oh and chips ..all small portions to be shared amoungest you all . we went in a group of about 18..to pay 52 euors for a meal for 4 which consisted of few scraps of pork and a shared plate of chips is disgraceful considering in all the resturants in crete you can get a meal for 4 at half the cost and you get to choice what you want to eat and given plenty of time to allow you to enjoy ur food and drink..
after this trip our family was ignored and pushed out of all enterainment and made to feel most unwelcome
to the extent that other holiday memebers were noticing the treatment we was receiving and kept asking if we all was ok ....
if you have drink be prepared to not finish it as once the meal is over your rushed back to the resort .
We had a bar bill like other holiday makers but for some reason nikos made it his first point of call to keep contuinly ask us up to 3 times a day if we was paying the bill befor we left.!!!!
our bar bill was only 112 euors unlike others whoms bill were as high 300 euros but he made us feel like crimials and expected us to a runner and not pay the bill!!!
This man made our holiday turn into a holiday from hell we have never felt so unwelcomed
considering my family were very helpful at the resort my daughter helped nickos and kostas clean the pool my husband helped lay towels down when it rained very hard to prevent others from slippin as nobody seemed to care about the guests .we understood when they ran out of towels and nade do with small hand towels we was very accomaditing to this resort but to be treated in such a manner is unproffesional and dam disgusting i honestly cannot see why folk return to this resort the pool is by the main road its most cretainly not designed for familys due to the resort being right on the kerb side when you swim in the pool all you can smell is exhust fumes due to it being right by the public road // all i can say is you dont get what you pay for i didnt pay to be electricuted and i most certainly didnt pay to be treated like animals..
you better off paying to rent an apartment from the white lady than stay at this resort because trust me if your not regular who visists several times of the year ur not welcome ....

Room Tip: rm 205 nice sea view ish
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank pmtfairy
Reviewed 6 September 2012

We stayed at the Christina Apartments in Adelianos Kampos/Platanias (Rethymnon) between 19th and 30th August 2012.

I have tried to write this review taking into account what we paid and having realistic expectations, which I think a lot of reviews fail to do. We paid £550 with Thomson for 11 nights including flights, taxes and an additional baggage allowance. For the end of August I would say that’s a pretty good deal. But you’re not going to get The Ritz of course.

I read the reviews of this apartment complex prior to travelling but after booking. This is the first package holiday I’ve done in nearly 10 years and the first one my girlfriend has ever done. Nothing against package holidays, just that we’ve done other things in the past.

Cleanliness

The apartments themselves were clean, tidy and adequately furnished. Again, for this money it will never be 5* but for a self catering apartment in Greece they were absolutely fine. Two single beds, two bedside tables, wardrobe, table, dressing table and a very basic kitchen. Everything worked as it should. Crockery and cutlery a bit limited but again, it’s par for the course with this type of accommodation. The bedding was changed once, after a week, which maybe could’ve been more frequent but it wasn’t dirty to be fair. Poo bin was done at least every other day, mostly every day. Don’t think the apartment was properly CLEANED during our stay. We seemed to bring quite a lot of sand in on our shoes at times and this hung around the whole time so clearly the floor was not swept. Again, no big deal though.

Safety

The area the apartments are located in is very touristy, well lit, busy and friendly so there were no issues with safety. Likewise in the much busier Rethymnon, we walked down a fairly off-the-beaten-track street at night and it felt very safe.

Apartment facilities

The apartment itself had air conditioning available for 4.5 euros for the hours of 6pm-8am or 7 euros for 24 hours a day. We chose the cheaper option because the apartment did not get too warm and got the sun in an afternoon rather than the morning. You could also rent a safety deposit box in the room for 15 euros for the duration of our stay. I always get these for peace of mind however looking back it was probably an unnecessary expense. It was very small and could not fit some of our electronic stuff in it anyway!

The only irritation I had with the apartment was the shower cubicle. It was tiny and was impossible to have a shower without the curtain sticking to you. The shower head was also the typical Greek variety which hangs on a prong and does not point down at you. So you need about 5 arms just to have a shower. I am 6’1” and it was a real pain. Patio door was well noise-proof and there was a blackout screen also.

The communal areas of the complex are really nice. The bar is well laid out and very welcoming. There is a pool table and internet cafe type layout downstairs too. We asked for the wi-fi password and were given it free of charge so had internet access on our phones when in the bar for the whole holiday. Pool bar snacks were decent and good value.

There are communal toilets downstairs which were really nice. No pool-side shower though that I could see..The pool is a decent size but the area around it is proportionally a bit small. There are probably too many beds around, resulting in a bit of a lack of personal space (an issue for me). When we arrived it was very busy, noisy and full of kids, lilos etc. So we beat a hasty retreat round the corner to ‘Vista’ pool bar which is run by their cousin and was much quieter. Buy the odd drink or food and you can stay there all day; use their pool, toilets etc and they have a section of beach behind. Very nice.

Clearly the owners and staff work VERY hard at Christina to give their guests an enjoyable holiday. There was a BBQ night, quiz night, karaoke, bingo, Greek dancing etc. Full marks for all that. Drinks and food were all well priced and cheaper than in some other places. 2 euros for a small draft beer. Not bad I don’t think.

Local amenities

There were plenty of facilities close to the apartments like a supermarket, petrol station and bakery. There were several travel places for booking tours too although generally all tours seemed quite expensive compared to previous experiences in Greece and recent comparison to Lanzarote. There were many restaurants in both directions from the apartments although those in the Rethymnon direction (Platanias) seemed the best. We only had one poor meal in all the time we were there. Our recommendation would be the White Lady restaurant. This was 2 minutes walk from the apartments, towards Rethymnon, and the food was well priced, very tasty and authentic and the service was very good. They seemed to have entertainment of some sort on every night if you like that sort of thing.

For 1 euro 20 cents you can get a bus into Rethymnon from almost outside the apartments which takes 15 minutes. That’s well worth a visit, both in the daytime and at night. We also visited Chania and Heraklion which are lovely. (Chania more so than Heraklion).

Overall

I would say this was very good value for money accommodation. The apartments were clean and adequately equipped. We were in room 302, at the back. We got the sunshine on the balcony on an afternoon/evening which I love. I always asked for a high floor and a quiet room. Unfortunately in this complex it seems there is no such thing as a quiet room. My only real gripe was the noise at night. But to be fair this is not something the owners can do much about. This is down to the ignorant, inconsiderate British tourist I’m afraid. Coming in at 2am, talking loudly on the echoey corridors, SLAMMING doors. Very annoying and totally unnecessary. The owners take great pride in their business. They’re also proud of their culture and Nikos took us and several people up into the mountains to visit a typical greek restaurant which really was superb. Not something I’ve seen done before like that so have to compliment him. As I’ve read on previous reviews about road noise – for us there was none. The ‘main’ road out front was not that busy really so even if your apartment was at the front I can’t see it being an issue at all.

You get what you pay for, and for £550 this was a really good deal I think. They seem to get people going back here year after year so they must be doing something right!

Room Tip: I would imagine the rooms at the rear of the complex (i.e NOT on the pool side) would be quietest.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple