“oh my god!!!!!!!!!”

Platanes Apartments
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Platanias
Platanes Apartments
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Platanias
england
“oh my god!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2009

I have never in my life seen such a (-----) hotel. Nothing was ready in the hotel!!!! They were still doing construction....it was unbearable and noisey,dirty, and had no reception a vailable eccept the owner, who is rude, or the barman. They never had hot water when you wanted. They are not organized, and seem to careless. They charge extra for everything and is highly over price!! Never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Never!!!!!! It was so bad that I was happy to return home. The whole trip was terriable. It was nothing like it was shown on the sight,when we booked the hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank peachiepit

Business
Kent
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2008

I rarely book a holiday without checking tripadvisor, how I wish I had before deciding on the Platanes Apartments as everything the previous reviewer had said was true. However after the collapse of XL I was keen to find an alternative trip at short notice. The apartments are at the back of a bar that plays loud music, the pool and pool area were dirty, the owner of the apartments cleaned the pool when asked, after one of the guests had removed leaves and dead insects and swept the area around the pool. A week later after bad weather he cleaned the pol by running water and over filling it so water covered all the pool area, soaking anything left on the ground, he then threw in undisolved lumps of chlorine that lay on the pool floor. The apartments were a reasonable size and surprisingly quiet at night when the doors to the bar were closed. They were not cleaned daily, some thing I was aware of, but when I asked the cleaner to clean the floor of our apartment she did so grudgingly then ignored me when I thanked her. We asked for missing light bulbs to be replaced and his was not done. On our arrival we were recommended to take the safe key at a cost of 2 euro daily. Luckily we did not need air conditioning as that incurred a cost of 6 euro a day. On our last day we were offered the opportunity to keep the apartment for 35 euro but as we were leaving at 7.30pm we asked if there was anywhere to leave our luggage and were told in the bar, when we asked if it would be safe, the owner just shrugged. We were having breakfast on the balcony at 10.30 planning to leave at 12 when the barman came over and asked if we had paid to keep the room, he then told us checkout was at 10am and this was written on the noticeboard in the bar. As the apartment had not been cleaned when we left at 7.30 pm this contributed to the overwhelming impression these apartments exist for the owner to make as much money as possible from the guests while doing as little as possible to make their stay enjoyable.

Platanes is a strip of main road with heavy traffic, bars all competing to play the loudest music, the food was dissapointing in all the local restaurants we tried, although better in Rethymnon. The beach was ok, not sand as tour operators would have you believe, but shingle with stones at the edge of the water and you needed shoes to get in. The most positive thing about the place is the bus system enables you to leave easily to visit other places.

• Liked — quiet at night
  • Disliked — dirty pool
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sanrob

Travellers are raving about these Platanias hotels

England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2008

Where should I begin? On arrival in the early hours of the morning there was no one to meet us and we had to fumbling in the dark to find our room and then trying to get electricity to work.

The apartments are next to BP garage with the fumes from the pumps. The reception/bar area is scruffy, seat covers are dirty, spotted several cockroaches behind the bar and in the kitchen area. Be careful if you have a few to drink as no till receipts are given one evening I paid my bill at end of the night, only to be told the next day I owed the bar bill from previous evening - as I had no proof of paying I had to pay again!! Everytime we walked through bar they pestered us to stay for a drink - to avoid the hassle we started using side gate and walking around the building.

Pool was dirty 3 days during our holiday and there are no notices regarding the depth of the water. Sunbeds are filthy and needed a good scrubbing. No umbrellas as they did not fit the poles in the tables.

The rooms are shabby and tired. Bed linen ripped, crockery chipped, cutlery dirty and nothing matched, reminded me of student living. Kettle needed descaling, it was disgusting. Cleaner only came every third day and when we ran out of loo rolls told to go and buy some at the supermarket. Charged for use of the safe but no mention of cost when I requested the key.

Don't bother with the barbeque evening unless you like very salty meat - although I think it was a ploy to get you to purchase more drinks from the bar.

Barman was weird and the owner is rude, arrogant and downright insulting about his guests. Hardly surprising the place was dead.

Its only positive I can report was the lady who worked during the mornings, she was very friendly and helpful and appeared to be the only one doing any work as she did the reception, served drinks, answered queries and a whole host of other jobs.

Apart from the accommodation we enjoyed the area, a visit to Kournas Lake was spectacular and we ate at some great tavernas, although I would avoid Stekis and Kellari, food at Sky Park restaurant was superb and staff very friendly.

• Liked — Check out day - when I was leaving
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank becks71
wessex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2007

oh my word * no sleep no peace & quiet (petrol pumps and vehicle repair garage part of sight) very busy narrow road junction. Rooms dirty & tired. Air con in rooms but not available as owner said too early in season and not hot enough yet (36*) linen & bedding soiled/pool green after two days/lounge area (which my friend thought was the best part of the hotel) was dangerous but "entertaining" two meters approx away from fuel pump. In our humble opinion as parents this hotel is not safe for young children. As for some staff we found "mr bean" offensive & arrogant the owner rudely indiffernt. All this made us sad as it was In total contrast to the rest of the islands and its people.We would return to the area but not this hotel.

Stayed June 2007
2 Thank trogladite
Northwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2007

Visited here upon the recommendation of family who in turn had been recommended by friends who have stayed there for several years now.....

The resort was OK ( not the most buzzing of places, but none-the-less with plenty going on, some fantastic bars and restaurants, though there are also more lively places just a short cab ride away) but everyone we met, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, in the local bars and restaurants were fantastic, accommodating and entertaining.

More noteably, the Platanes Apartments were indeed lovely, but the overall visit was made all the more special by the warm, kind and friendly welcome we received from the owner George, his staff and friends, whos keen attention and enthusiastic spirit created an ambience and atmosphere which only enhanced the whole stay, making for a very special and enjoyable holiday for all.

Having travelled often in the past, and to many places, I can say that the hospitality demonstrated here was exceptional and will be the barometer against which all my future holidays are measured!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.... look forward to going back and taking more friends to share the experience there soon! THANK YOU x

• Liked — Friendly and warm staff, always attentive and entertaining!
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank D0ND0NS
leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2007

Me and my bf went on holiday for the first time. the appartments were
nice and the people were friendly. it is situated in a small village on a very busy road and next to a petrol station. it was extremely boring on a night not right for young people. the nearest town was too far to walk. ill never go back to platanes.

this holiday is probably suitable for the older generation. x

there was also a wierd drunken man greek that wakls the street all day shouting.

• Liked — in co-op travel agents
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank kayla-leeds
suffolk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2006

no hot water, damp, could not swim in the pool it was dirty and the whole place had a neglect feel, right next to a petrol station and a main road, not suitable for children

• Liked — leaving it
  • Disliked — that it existed
  • Tips/Secrets — don't book there
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank toptotty82
Also consider these accommodations in or near Platanias
Hotel Axos
#5 of 20 in Platanias
Daisy Hotel Apartments
Daisy Hotel Apartments
#78 of 167 in Rethymnon

Been to Platanes Apartments? Share your experiences!