Casa Surf
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$281
  • Pool
Cafe Playa Negra(Playa Negra)(Great Value!)
US$106
Hotwire.com
Playa Negra Surf Lodge(Playa Negra)(Great Value!)
US$80
Occidental Tamarindo(Playa Langosta)
US$209
US$191
  • Pool
US$353
US$211
Hotels.com
La Ramona Charming Hotel(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
US$156
US$146
Tamarindo Village Hotel(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
US$111
El Mono Loco(Tamarindo)(Great Value!)
US$51
Hotel Playa Negra(Santa Cruz)
Hotels.com
Casa Cook(Tamarindo)
All reviewspura vidaboard rentalspata negracosta ricaother guestsericamangrovessurfhostelvibewaveslessonbeachinstructortamarindosoloocean
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Casa Surf is EXACTLY what I was looking for. If you want a place to stay with wonderful owners, great food, awesome board selection and company... this is the place for you. Dan and Erica could not be more inviting, generous and mellow if they tried.

I love that there is no internet. If you can't live with out internet.. go somewhere else. One of the nicest things about hanging around the hostel is that you get to talk, read and hang out with other travelers and people aren't obsessing over social media.

Casa Surf is home away from home. The beach is 5 minutes down the boardwalk and then it opens up to a surfers paradise. Dan will hook you up with a board depending on your level and let you try out different options until you find the best fit. He is incredibly knowledgable about surfing... you can ask him just about anything and he knows the answer. Erica is a wonderful cook and always down to chill, talk and share stories.

Bring books down and leave them there! Nothing like expanding a hostel library :)

I could rave about this place for days .... but if you are a relaxed, go with the flow, kind and open person... head down to Casa Surf. If you don't fit that description... then I suggest you go elsewhere.

I will be heading back in the future and am already looking forward to my next trip to Casa Surf.

Juevona.

Room Tip: If you're lucky enough to stay with Dan and Erica ... it doesn't matter what room you get :) All the rooms are wonderful!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank juevona
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I first stayed at Casa Surf Nov-Dec 2012. My friend Tim Meek introduced me to Dan and Erica. More than likely two of the nicest people you will ever meet. We stayed 2 days, and we always stop and say hi when we are in the area, Avellanes, Costa Rica. The walk to the beach is great and when it' on, IT"S ON! The hostel is small buy very nice and Erica is an excellent cook. You feel right at home the moment you walk in. I've recommended it to quite a few people and I know a couple have stayed and enjoyed Casa Surf. Don't pass up an opportunity to stay there. IT is close to the surf and comfortable beds for a good night's sleep - after a delicious meal of course!

Room Tip: All the rooms are good.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 June 2013

hey there,
i've recently been at casa surf for almost 2 weeks and i found a home far away from home. erica and dan are so lovely, smart and welcoming. i already miss the relaxed evenings in the hammoks. erica cooks delicious food, dan is a very patient surfinstructor and the pets are adorable (OK, the cat is way too lazy, but the dogs are great).
if someone reads the (very few) bad reviews, don't belive them. it's not dirty at casa surf, but it is a surf hostel (there must be some sand!). and the kitchen is an outdoor community kitchen, so you can't blame erica and dan for the mess of other guests.
so, if you love to surf and to meet interesting people (and dogs), go to casa surf and bring some time. you will need it!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank inki-stinki
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Had a nice few chilled days here in Avellanas, with some fun waves, filling good food and interesting conversations :) Dan and Erica are Super hosts full of information and always smiling, even the dogs are really welcoming, Its also really good value.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Sunshine443
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Some friends and I recently stayed at Casa Surf in Avellanas. We went there solely with the intention of surfing with Casa Surf being very close to the beach. We booked months in advance and booked with the intention of paying the $30 per night, which included room rental, 2 meals per day and board rental (a great price). We were trying not to spend too much money so this fitted our budget nicely. The owners and hosts Dan and Erica were very welcoming and made the whole experience very pleasant. I always felt comfortable and at home here and we seemed to fit right in with the other guests. Erica made great food, it was fresh and enjoyable and generally just what I needed after surfing for hours each day. I found Dan to be very knowledgable and helpful with regards to local surf info. The bedrooms were big enough (3 in our party) but where a little hot at times but not unbearable (there is a large fan available for use). We spent a few nights hanging with Dan and Erica and other guests and it was always fun and enjoyable, it made the trip very relaxing. My only gripe would be the bathroom situation, which the previous review details. However, Avellanas is in a remote area and does not have the luxuries of the bigger cities so I understood (its Costa Rica people, not America). There are plenty of options near by with regards to drinking and eating out. Playa Negra is not too far away either and there is some great scenary there. I hope to return to Casa Surf in the future and spend more time surfing Avellanas. Thanks Dan and Erica for a grand old time :)

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends