“A reasonable place to stay”
Review of LD Palm Beach

LD Palm Beach
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Playa el Agua
Reviewed 16 September 2012

It is not a very large hotel located in an U-shaped building, with a pool, bar and a restaurant in the courtyard. The rooms are clean enough and the bathrooms seem quite clean. Each room has a balcony or a small terrace. Unlike the rooms, the surroundings are not very clean, for instance the rubbish bins were constantly filled to the brim
What I didn’t enjoy was food. The breakfast was actually ok but I kept getting disappointed with dinners. The restaurant sometimes seemed too small for the number of guests, at times it was difficult to get cutlery.
The nearby beach is wonderful – great for long walks. There is a shuttle bus to take you there.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank trvlgrll

Reviewed 20 August 2012

I stayed at this hotel from August 16th. to 20th. 2012. We were very tire, hungry and disappointed when we got to the hotel. First of all the flight left 2 hours late,then when we cleared customs and immigration we had to sit and wait for quite a while before the bus could take us on the hour long journey to the hotel.
When we checked in we were given a key and were told to walk down the corridor till we got to our room. Most of the hotel staff cannot speak english. When we got to our room, there was no remote control for the tv or ac, so we had to manually change the channels. There are only 2 english speaking channels, the others are Spanish speaking. When we were going for dinner, we had lots of difficulty closing the sliding door. We could not even lock it from the outside so it was left unlocked whenever we went out. Also walk with your own shampoo and conditioner as this hotel does not provide any even though it is all-inclusive.
There were lots of flies in the dining area and the food was not labelled so we were unsure of what we were eating. There was not much variety in the day to day menu. After having eggs for 4 consecutive days, I don't want to see eggs for a while. There is no scissors to cut open the cartons of milk, so the guy tears it open with his mouth. We observed this every morning as we were in the dining room early hoping to get hot coffee, but it was always cold.
There is only one adult pool and one kiddie pool. The hot tub was not working. The water in the pool was hotter than the water in the hot tub and there were no bubbles. We noticed there were some young men playing ball games in the courtyard and went into the pool without taking a shower. The also continued to play volleyball in the pool even though other guests were in the pool.
There was not much variety in the bar and the alcoholic drinks were not strong. There are not many activities here so it's good if you want a quiet getaway. The beach is the only attraction as there are no shops or restaurants nearby. There is a beach shuttle which operates from 9:00a.m. and runs every half hour.
The return flight was also late. There are 2 sets of taxes to pay at the airport - Airport tax is 216Bs. and departure tax is 180Bs. Total of 396 Bolivars. Then there are the security checks. Before you check in, your suitcase and all bags are opened and thoroughly checked. After checking in, your carry on bags are scanned, then you wait and wait for your flight as the duty free shops there are pathetic.
Bottom line, I would not be returning there and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank sweetee_52
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I stayed at this hotel for five nights at the behest of an organization for which I was volunteering, so can’t comment on value.

The hotel is on a trash strewn, rural road about ½ hour from the airport. It is surrounded by an electric topped fence and a heavy duty main gate, presumably due to the high crime rate in Venezuela. The rooms are Spartan, but OK. The two chairs in my room were repurposed white plastic chairs that were worn and stained, for example. This is an all-inclusive resort, with all meals at a buffet that is more or less similar to what you might expect in a college dormitory, except for the local nature of the food. Wine is available at dinner. There is nothing really to look forward to regarding the meals and the variety from day to day is pretty limited.

In the courtyard are a couple of nice pools and a poolside bar. There is no limit on the amount of alcohol you can drink. It’s truly an open bar situation. The hotel tries to provide activity, which sometimes includes loud (but usually pleasant) music and various shows by the staff. If you want peace and quiet, this is not your hotel. There is free wi-fi in the lobby.

About 500 meters from the hotel is a truly beautiful, two-mile beach and a beach bar that is also an open bar for the hotel. You can take a rickety shuttle back and forth to the beach or walk. One day I observed a loose bull walking down the road. There is a bedraggled town 1k from the hotel with some restaurants.

I visited much of Isla Margarita with Venezuelan hosts while there. I can’t think of a reason to choose this particular hotel. It’s really quite isolated, with nothing much nearby other than the beach and you are more or less trapped.

Venezuela’s current government seems to have destroyed its tourism business by demonizing many of the foreign countries from which they came, and by failing to adequately address violent crime. To get to this island, you pretty much have to travel through the Caracas airport, which is something of a disaster of its own, and certainly chaotic. I would avoid that airport at all costs.

Bottom line, I can’t think of a reason to visit this hotel under the current circumstances.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank lifesaver1
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Very good hotel in Playa el Agua. It is located 300 meters from the sea in a quiet area, close to the lack of shops and restaurants, but this is not a problem, because the hotel, which operates in all inclusive options. Meals three times a day and the buffet selection is very large. Drinks are free and also a large selection of drinks. In addition to main meals are served sandwiches by the pool. The pools are very nice, but especially in the afternoon there accumulates a very large number of people. Rooms are situated in pavilions along pools and well equipped. Powered air-conditioning and satellite TV has many channels. Internet available in the lobby near the reception. Service at reception very friendly and helpful. The hotel has a taxi rank.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank poltramp
Reviewed 16 November 2011

After a nightmare to arrive on the island due to a vey unrespectful attitude of CONVIASA ( the local airline - NEVER use their services!!!) I had a great time at the Palm Beach Hotel in Margarita Island, Venezuela! The staff was good. Some of them need to be a little more polite and they should learn some English as they receive a lot of foreigners. The food served was good and the facilities were nice and clean. The receptionists were very helpful. In a nut shell I was very satisfied with the hotel and certainly would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice and cosy place to stay in the beautiful Margarita Island.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Dalton_11
Reviewed 17 September 2009

We only stayed here for 1 night due to a change in flight schedules. After a few days travelling across the Gran Sabana it was certainly a change of scenery.
No surprises though. Food was certainly not as bad as some people have suggested, not much different from other all-inclusive resorts that I have visited.
Excellent array of British and German tattoos at the bar from opening til closing time!!

This is pretty much a bog standard all inclusive hotel. Free shuttle to/from the beach (including the all inclusive Palm Beach bar) even though it's only a 5 minute walk away !

This is not the kind of area to be walking around after dark (I was robbed by a policeman!). Remember that this is South America and Margarita is not like some of the other Caribbean Islands that you may have heard about. Maybe leave the expensive jewellery etc at home for this trip.

If you fancy a much more relaxing trip stay at the Costa Linda around the corner.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
4  Thank spikeymires
Reviewed 17 July 2009

Ok firstly I don't understand how anyone can write a good review about this hotel I feel like we're talking about a different hotel and had to check the photos on the internet to make sure I had the right one. Maybe if you think spam and plane food is quite tasty you'll like this hotel. I love the sun and needed just a quick fix before our summer started so me and my boyfriend who are well travelled went in April this year - we were going to New York later in the year so didnt want to spend a lot. We came across this one through Thompson holidays. When we turned up I straightaway felt uneasy especially after reading the crime reports etc on Trip Advisor. Hotel was a lot more basic than I was expecting but the maid was vigorously cleaning the floor so felt better and it was the caribbean andthe sun was shining - I thought you can deal with anything as long as the sun is shining and it was a week you can survive a week right? No you can't , not unless youve done a week in prison. it had the most awful food I have ever known on an all inclusive. One night I just snapped and went to complain to the receptionist (who although dressed in jeans everyday and wasnt professional looking did speak extremely good English in an american accent). He just laughed at me and the usual "ah the British thing" as if all we do is moan. The food wasnt labelled up so I had no idea what I was eating and thought I was eating beef stew - a common meal in all inclusives cause its cheap. It didnt taste like beef turned out to be liver - great I nearly threw up all over my plate - the only choice was liver stew or meatballs. Only rice to go with it no potatoes and that was it. Never any deserts. Only one bar was open which was the pool bar which was advertised as having two bars but the one upstairs was being renovated so wasnt even allowed into the whole top floor - thanks First Choice thoguht you're supposed to call/email customers and notify them of things like this isn't that why we pay you guys loads of commission? The building work also went on all through breakfast til lunch banging , drilling, hammering really noisy enough to give you a headache so because of this everyone went to beach no one stayed around pool which was a shame cause pool was actually really nice and looked tranquil- on the pllus we could always get a sunbed because of this! theres no way especially in peak season you'd be able to get one - people in the ground floor rooms had actually pulled a sunbed or two outside their patio doors as if staking a claim to it - bit cheeky. The final straw was halfway through the week on the weds night. We realised couldnt go into town as had heard so many reports of it being dangerous . Hotel was full of old people from England 60's pllus who went off to " have a nice cup of tea" at 10pm never to return or read their books on their balconies before retiring to bed -needless to say you can get a really good nights sleep in this hotel. germans etc stayed up but had no intention of mixing iwth the British. No entertainment. Went into town one night and had things shouted at me by men hanging around outside Senior Frogs and I dont think it was "you have lovely eyes"- have been to a few Senior Frogs and they are all awful but this one particularly bad full of locals and spanish who like noise lots and lots of shouting and noise - try to do funny games which they think is hilarious but sadly lacking in sense of humour- Margarita is a (-----), you can tell the tourist industry started in the 80's and it never really progressed from there I think loads of tour operators pulled out and unfortunately and sadly it was left - everything the decor etc screams 80's. This is down to the people they want tourists but dont want to have to put any work in or keep the beaches etc clean or take any rseponsibility. They are lazy and would rather turn to crime to get their money. A lot of graffiti telling stories of gangs and crime on the island - making you feel very uneasy. Not a civilised country at all. Moved to Dunes hotel had to pay extra £30 each (I broke down crying to rep and manager don't think they knew what to do with me) - was much better but still stuck in the 80's tired and wornout not the 4* it was advertised to be and surprisingly was not as clean and rooms werent as nice as the Palm Beach but was safer and had more going on and more amenities. I think in the end what finally broke me down with the Palm Beach was being asked to play scrabble by an older couple one night and having to watch the two young bar staff do salsa lessons when they weren't even that good at it to just five people sat around the pool, none of whom were British we were the only ones. I actually started to believe I could die from boredom, It was a toss up between starvation and boredom. There was hardly even any Americans there which said a lot cause they are often in the Caribbean so even they knew to stay away from Margarita.

Please don't go to Margarita or the palm beach only go if youre a windsurfer or surfer cause there were loads of them as its really windy and sea is reallly choppy (you can tell by the fact theres so many of them at airport getting their boards that you're never going to be able to go in the sea for a swim! red flags were out everyday. Only go if you want to pull a surfer that trully is the only reason. The weather was also rubbish cloudy and rainy all the time and the temperature actually dropped when it rained which is quite unusual abroad. As A final mention i'll say this one couple in our hotel said a group of them had walked down to the beach one day a pack of dogs were following them (remember these are stray dogs which could also have rabies) they ran off suddenly into an empty house and then came out ripping a dead dogs carcas between them to the group's horror - this was a common story lots of people reporting seeing dead dogs on the side of the road. We walked to the pharmacy one day - wish I hadn't car drivers are mental nearl run you over drive really fast - no road laws. You have to almost walk in road because shrubbery is not cleared back, awful smell of poo all the way there, and othe smells awful but didnt recognise worried was going to trip over a dead dog and would never get that image out of my mind. Dont understand it , being poor isnt an excuse lots of poor people in all countries around the world who dont live like this. Only good things about hotel were rooms clean, cleaned everyday, reception spoke good english , pool nice and tranquil setting .

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
IKIN Margarita Hotel & Spa
IKIN Margarita Hotel & Spa
#17 of 89 in Margarita Island
LIDOTEL Hotel Boutique Margarita

Been to LD Palm Beach? Share your experiences!