“Its not at bad as you think, read tips” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Portofino Hotel

Portofino Hotel
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Playa el Agua
“Its not at bad as you think, read tips”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

I stayed here for a mini holiday with my boyfriend in Aug 2013

We were holidaying in Venezuela around Caracas and surrounding areas when we decided to book this hotel for 4 days.

I honestly think this hotel was good! We were with an all inclusive package so we could eat whatever we wanted to to, the afternoon snacks weren't that great, we had hamburgers which were plain and traditional food likecachapas one day which i personally didn't like.

The room was spacious, we were located on the top floor, however, after we took a shower we noticed that there was a leak in the toilet so we complained and were offered another room. We had a chance to look at each room and then pick the room we liked the best which was a bonus!

The food was ok, there was about five different dishes we could choose from but the desserts were great! a whole table full of them! when we arrived for dinner we were offered anti-bacterial hand gel and a non-alcoholic cocktail which was great.

The hotel grounds were beautiful, well kept. We went out for a walk on a hill just outside the hotel were you could see the overview of the hotel grounds, if you kept walking you would arrive at playa de agua which we did on our last day!

Our new room was on the ground floor, with an outdoor table so we were able to leave our swimming suits outside to dry or sit outside with a few drinks! The pools was nice, it felt small when it got busy. And a bar closeby.

The beach was very close, with another bar on the beach front. the beach was great, white sand and clear water. During our stay the waters were choppy so we were advised not to swim far out. There was a handy colour coded sign for the different types of waves. e.g red = no go zone!

The rooms were fairly clean, I agree with the moldy sleep, I found out one of the pillow cases must of not been dried properly so i put that aside and mentioned it to the help desk when we left. I inspected the room, it was clean, and we had a modern tv, under the materess it was concrete, i scrapped my knees on it twice (ouch!) but it didnt affect our sleep. We had perfectly working air conditioning in the room, it was pre set for us while we moved rooms.

The only thing that the new room didnt have was hot water, the lady who showed us to our room explained this to us but it was no problem since it was so hot anyways!

We didn't really take part in the shows or entertainment, as we wanted to relax but we heard from other guests it was it fantastic. There is a excursion desk near the front of the hotel, it was great! we booked a day trip to swim with the dolphins it was inexpensive and we were picked up from the hotel and taken back in the afternoon, it included a seal lion show and 2 hours swimming with the wonderful creatures! an experience I wont forget!

TIPS

I am a frequent traveller to Venezuela, I know of the crime rates there and people can steal from you when you think they are there to help. So keep your guard up and take any valuables with you e.g we took our camera with us in a fannypack or some call it bumpack

I speak fluent Spanish so I was able to communicate with the staff well. Hardly anyone speaks english over in venezuela, during our stay we didn't meet anybody who spoke english... We tried not to speak too much english out of the hotel, and didn't mention where we from just that we here on holiday. I'm not saying be a secret spy but don't draw attention to yourself

try not to stick out- if you are flashing cash or valuables you will become a target!!!

every time we left the room we left other valuables locked and out of sight in the suitcases, and left that out of sight too.

Overall, I had a good experience, I had no major problems at all. It was apart of a self booked backpacking tour with my boyfriend and this was a well needed relaxing break. we were served freshly made pina coladas, and we used to computer rooms to use the internet since I didn't have my phone with me. ( I use an old nokia when I travel)

FINALLY- i think what made our experience was that we booked low season so it was from tues to sat so it was really quiet until fri where all the holiday makers were flooding so I recommend staying during the week!

Room Tip: TIPS I am a frequent traveller to Venezuela, I know of the crime rates there and people can stea...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicole J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

I want to fair - the hotel and food are not too bad. But the fact that my money and camera was stolen by one of the cleaners whilst I had breakfast was an utter disappointment and shocker. This was my first stay at the hotel and I will not be returning. I would like others to be aware of what takes place at this hotel. I tried to report this matter to the receptionist who only spoke spanish and kept on repeating to me "no hablo ingles". She did not make an attempt to find out about my problem or direct me to someone who spoke english. I sent an email to the hotel when I came back home to inform them of my experience and loss...it has been a month now and the general manager, Maryori Gandica has not responded on how they are dealing with the problem. I know that it is not likely that I will get my valuable camera and money returned but a basic apology was not even given. DO NOT VISIT HOTEL or do so at you own risk.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Tobago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Omg...The rooms, the bathroom disgusting. The cleanliness of the place was a huge issue..everything was concrete yet though the mattresses weren't too bad. The food maybe a little bland was still okay there were salt and pepper shakers on the table. Wide variety each day of food fruits and desserts ..the exterior was beautiful. ..Although it is roughly an hour away from the airport the drive gave an insight to what margarita was like and the environs. The hotel is located on a beach front. ...There are few vendors that sell clothes, souvenirs, drinks and these people makes the best deals for money exchange rates.

Food cleanliness I'm terms of washing and cleaning meats and vegetables they need some serious training. The cauliflower although tasted good at first couldn't digest because I saw worms in it....cauliflower is known to habour worms. ...so clean it.

The chicken omg once there was guts still attached to the cooked meat. Yakk

The fish was fresh most of the times. ...There were lemon wedges provided for you to take. ...The beef was great...

The staff, the night we checked in the hotel there wasn't a worker who spoke English or any part thereof. Majority of the staff doesn't understand English so it was difficult to explain concerns or find out anything.

We had an issue with the toilet in our room the plumber came plunge the toilet. .put the plunger on the ground it leaked a puddle. .he walked in it and walked through the room. I have a baby that says it all. ..further to this I had to go to the Spanish staff and explain my concerns about the now even nastier room to get someone to clean it and eight pm..

If it's price you are looking at. ..basically you get what you pay for. ..All in all we made the best of our trip

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank trini1229_11

Travellers are raving about these Playa el Agua hotels

trinidad
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed at portofino hotel from feb 28 to mar 04 with 8 members of my family. The resort is beautiful the food was good, did not have the problem of good being recycled over our few days there. The rooms were cleaned early everyday. The hotel had just a couple staff members who can speak english at the front desk. The only thing that made this short vacation horrible was the flight from trinidad which was delayed and the flight back which delayed about four hours. Shopping was not as I had expected but we still managed to get some done.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank trini-karri
Tacarigua
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed there on my anniversary. Friendly staff. Nice spacious grounds. Lots of beautiful ppl around. Food not too bad. Drinks were good. Located a bit far from
the town but the drive to and from was nice. Overall it was a fun few days.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Kester1
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed there with a group of 10 women and we all had the same opinion :we were never returning to this hotel EVER! The rooms smelt old and moldy, there are times when there was no water to shower. There was also short periods of power outages ( I guess to save on energy). The bed bases are made of concrete! Thus creating an awful sleepless night.
The food was awful, not much choices and taste was absent. I ate at the mall where there was actual flavor and local dishes.

The staff was courteous and helpful at times but most could not speak English,especially at the receptionist desk where it is most important. But all in all the staff was pleasant and helped when they could without attitude. The bartenders were most friendly. If you hope to dine at the specialty restaurant, apparently you need to reserve A WEEK in advance ( laughable because most people only stay about 4 days)

The grounds were clean and well kept, the hotel has a lot of potential but probably it's poor management, I don't know. But what I do know is that I would never waste my money, however cheap it is, here again!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Alicia H
Trinidad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

Just came back yesterday! It was a wonderful and GREAT place at a VERY AFFORDABLE price!!! My room was moist and ac wasn't working but it didnt dampened my experience. Staff was well trained and very polite. The food is bland in taste but the variety to choose from is excellent! Change your money on the beach the tour guides are the biggest cons. On the beach I got 33BSF for 1USD. Since shopping in the city is dangerous I left my gold at the room including; chain bracelet wedding ring mavado watch and earrings. I also left my S4 iPhone 5 in the room to my surprise when I returned all remained in the same position after the maid had pass and the ac men to fix the unit. That was a blessing! The people are just a bubble of joy so friendly and welcoming. PLEASE DO NOT TRAVEL WITH KRYSTAL TOURS!!!!! PACKAGES ARE CHEAP BUT SPEND THE EXTRA AT A DIFFERENT TRAVEL AGENCY. KRYSTAL TOURS IS A RIP OFF. PAID FOR FOUR DAYS AND ONLY GOT TWO. FLIGHT WAS 5:30pm I ARRIVED IN MARGARITA 1am THE FOLLOWING MORNING. TRAVELING WEDS TO SAT TO AVOID WAITING IS A LIE! PAYING TAXES CAUSE THEY ARE CHEAPER IS A LIE! KRYSTAL TOURS SERVICE IS TERRIBLE! A friend on the same flight paid for La Guna Mar and was told they didn't and had to be placed at Dunes. WHEN I ARRIVED AT PIARCO AIRPORT TO CHECK IN MY NAME WASN'T ON THE LIST FOR THE FLIGHT SAME PROBLEM OCCURRED IN MARGARITA. PLEASE DO NOT BOOK WITH KRYSTAL TOURS!

Room Tip: Please do not travel with Krystal tours. Rooms closer to the lobby has wifi :)
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Maloka Hotel Boutique & Spa
IKIN Margarita Hotel & Spa
IKIN Margarita Hotel & Spa
#12 of 91 in Margarita Island

Been to Portofino Hotel? Share your experiences!