My friend and I stayed at Nepenthe for our first 4 nights on our 10 day Costa Rica trip and loved it. It took awhile to get here from San Jose Airport due to the winding country roads and "traffic" (one lane bridges) and we also got lost on the unpaved roads coming from La Fortuna. Finally, with the assistance of Agustin (the host) and navigating on a dark, rocky road, we made it safe and sound.
The view of the lake and mountain the next morning was simply amazing, even with it being the rainy season. The property is absolutely stunning as well, with lush flora and tropical plants, stairs going up the property, a semi paved driveway for the cars and the cabanas -- colorful and sturdy. Rooms are artistically decorated with tiles and Picasso-esque artwork.
It was warm enough to spend a lazy morning lounging around poolside and taking a dip in the infinity pool. The pool is fed by natural spring water and refreshing as well. And if you just want to hang out on the property grounds, there are wooden rocking chairs and hammocks for all to enjoy.
On the first morning, we decided to switch up our itinerary and told Agustin about our change in plans. He was very flexible about the changes and didn't charge us a cancellation fee.
Here are some tips for staying here at Nepenthe B&B:
- The road up is NOT for the faint of heart. It is more rugged than any rugged road I've ever been on. Rent a 4WD SUV and make sure you drive it during the day as much as possible.
- Breakfast at the B&B is excellent: fresh tropical fruit, coffee, OJ and a different breakfast plate each day: omelet, pancakes, Plato tipico with eggs either scrambled or fried. They do not serve lunch or dinner but there are plenty of places to grab a delicious meal in El Castillo or one of the hot springs!
- Definitely get a spa treatment at the Blue Lagoon spa with Krista, the on site massuse! The facilities in and of itself are wonderful and a feast for the senses. Plus, Krista's top notch professionalism and extra attention to detail made a very relaxing spa day after 2 adventurous days of zip lining, horseback riding and tubing in CR.
- Agustin is a great person to talk to for excursions and area attractions. He helped us book an unforgettable ziplining trip through the canopy in the nearby SkyTrek.
All in all, Nepenthe lived up to its namesake and we had a terrific time. Muchas gracias a todos for an excellent welcome to Costa Rica!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nepenthe Bed and Breakfast is Beautifull piece of paradise located in the little town of El Castillo of La Fortuna in Costa Rica. Surrounded by the rain forest and exuberant wild life, you can appreciate the magnificent Arenal Volcano and the mistic Arenal Lake, enjoy beautifull sunsets from our infinity edge pool or relax in the jacuzzi or with a Massage in The Blue Lagoon Spa after a day of adventures and fun in the area. ** Also, the Phoenix Restaurant at Nepenthe is located on the grounds of Nepenthe and serve a daily dinner menu with handmade food and fresh local ingredients. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Nepenthe B&B reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nepenthe B&B Costa Rica/El Castillo