“A bugs life”

Butterfly Conservatory
More attraction details
Owner description: The Butterfly Conservatory is a Nature Regeneration Project dedicated to the preservation, growth, and study of the rainforest; with focus on butterflies and other tropical rainforest species, such as insects, frogs, lizards, fish, and plants of the Arenal region of Costa Rica. The project has now grown to contain the largest exhibition of butterflies in Costa Rica, and is a learning center for understanding the butterfly life-cycle and incredible metamorphosis experience.
Morganville, New Jersey
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A bugs life”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

A real gem in El Castillo. Some of the most beautiful butterflies you will ever see. All protected and flourishing in this wonderful conservatory. I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did. It was educational as well as fun. We had three teenage boys with us and they marveled at the different species of butterflies and some even landed on them! There are also frogs and turtles to see, too.
You can spend as much time as you want and come back for an additional visit without having to pay again.

Visited July 2014

El Castillo, Costa Rica
“Butterfly 101”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

A short hike (1 hour) away from Rancho Margot, this Butterflly Conservatory in El Castillo provides an immersive exprience and insight into the life cycle of Butterflies. The clear demonstration of how butterflies hatch from eggs to adult butterflies is a rare opportunity to see and helps the audience understand the difficulty of conserving the butterfly population in Costa Rica.

Along with the butterflies,rare species lf frogs can also be found in the conservatory. Of course, the butterlies were a safe distance away from the frogs :p

Though I was not fortunate enough to see, the conservatory also offers a chance to see and hear the howler monkeys. As the guests who went through the tour just before me observed two howler monkeys, I must have just missed them!

I really recommend giving the a visit. There are different species of bugs that were preserved for the purpose of demonstration. I don't know for sure as I haven't done this, but you may be able to at least view these demo even if you are unsure of entering the conservatory. They are stationed at the reception area, which may mean that is open to the general public! Give the place a visit to learn about how butterflies are conserved in Costa Rica!

Visited July 2014
Grand Rapids, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Butterflys and more”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

I spent 7 weeks volunteering at the Butterfly Conservatory this past summer. If you only desire to see butterflies, I can guarantee you won't be disappointed. With a variety of species and knowledgeable laboratory technicians who raise them from egg to butterfly, the Butterfly Conservatory is aptly named if only for the quantity you'll encounter. But come expecting more than just your run of the mill butterfly garden. Glenn, the director, keeps the guides informed in not only the butterflies, but Costa Rican wildlife and nature in general. I never saw anybody leave unhappy or uninformed after a tour at the Butterfly Conservatory. And make sure to allow yourself enough time for the rainforest river walk, you'll more than likely see the family of howler monkeys that lives on site.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Jack S
Odense, Denmark
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Inspiring, educational and fun – also for our kids!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We were welcomed by the owner Glenn who welcomed us, and we were so pleasantly surprised to have a personal guide on most of the tour around the conservatory (we think she was one of the volunteers) – and we also met Glenn a few times around the place, where he made a real effort to show us the different butterflies and explain their curious way of life (For one: They taste with their feet.)

Not only do you get a great experience from visiting this place, you also support and important cause and a person who has put his life into this amazing project.

Visited June 2014
Victorville, California
“Flutter by or Butterfly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Beautiful place for persons that love butterflies , I felt in heaven when the butterflies got on top of me, I went nuts taking pictures!

Visited March 2014