We stumbled upon this little magical ranch almost by accident. My aunt, Uncle, cousin and I were traveling from Quepos to Arenal and we decided to stop at a restaurant in Jaco, the name of which I don't remember. My aunt and uncle began to chat with the waitress(an American ex-patriate), who, when she she learned we were traveling to Arenal and La Fortuna, recommended we stay at Rancho Margot, a little self sustainable eco resort about 30 minutes from La fortuna.
After five hours of the bumpiest roads I've ever experienced, we arrived at Rancho Margot around 5:30 pm with no expectations at all. We literally didn't know what this place was. It was dismal weather, pouring rain, and quite chilly for CR. We walked from the parking lot towards the little pathway labeled "recepcion" and I could see fairy lights emanating from the hotel.One thing I've learned while traveling: if there's fairy lights, it's probably an amazing place.
The four of us walked to the reception and were greeted by a receptionist and Juan, the owner. He greeted us kindly and then took us to see the bungalows. Almost instantly a beautiful golden retriever called Ginger began following us. This trend remained our entire stay here.
When we saw the bungalows we knew we'd be staying here. Light and airy, with a hammock hanging and a stunning view of the rain forest. Another thing; if there's also a hammock, it's without a doubt, an amazing place. Juan told us all about why and how he started Rancho Margot. It's a pretty awesome story. I don't want to spoil it so you should go there just to find out.
We booked for one night, planning to leave in the morning after breakfast. Everyone working there urged us to stay for lunch and a tour. We insisted we had to be in Liberia for the afternoon; we had a plane to catch the next day.
We then got ready and went to dinner. It was amazingly delicious. I loved the pizza and salads and the soup for the starters. I didn't think it could get any better than that. Then i ordered a pineapple juice. This wasn't any normal pineapple juice. It was cut from the tree and made that day. It tasted like heaven. Our meals came, after a bit. Wow. wow wow. It was some kind of chickpea and spaghetti pasta, that I loved. After came desert; a little sour chocolate ball thing. It tasted excellent. What a truly lovely evening. Ginger the dog stayed by our table the whole time.
Afterwards we went back to our rooms for the night. The beds were comfy and honestly, that was one of the best sleeps of my life. Ginger slept outside our room the whole night. I think it was my uncle, all animals seem to gravitate towards him. Another thing about hotels, if they have dogs, they're gonna be one of the best hotels you ever go to. Dogs+fairy lights+hammocks=perfect.
My cousin and i awoke early for 7:00 am yoga. We were the only two that morning and it took us ages to find, but when we did, we were so glad. It's situated by the pond in a big open air room. The yoga instructor's name i can't remember, but it was awesome all the same. I love yoga and i am so happy i got this experience. It was incredibly serene and peaceful. You must do this.
After, my uncle and aunt found us for breakfast, which was rice, beans, eggs and fruit. It was tasty and refreshing. We then did the ranch tour, which was exhilarating and fascinating. I loved the ethical, sustainability of the place. The tour guy, i can't remember his name either, was knowledgeable and educated. The conditions of all the animals was pretty good and i liked how they make their own energy and fruits and veggies. I am a vegetarian and my aunt is vegan, so if we're satisfied, that's how you know this place is a good choice if you're also interested in ethical eating. The pigs and cows have lots of time to walk around outside and be free. They're not locked away and unhappy. This is a wonderful place to be.
The grounds here are stunning. It shocked us all to know that just 10 years ago, the whole place was rainforest-less and barren. It's so lush and magical now. The gardens all smelled divine. It was such a pure place to be. We loved the pools, they were so pretty and interesting to look at.
After the tour, they made us early lunch since we had to be on our way. This was a squash chickpea meal. I guess they had a lot of chickpeas. i enjoyed it especially the squash soup and the salad. It was insanely fresh. None of us wanted to leave.
We had to go afterwards, saying goodbye to everyone who made our little vacation so wonderful. I will 100% percent be back here in the future, whether with my parents or as a volunteer I don't know yet, but i do know I have to come back. Thank you to everyone again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ALL RESERVATIONS AT RANCHO MARGOT INCLUDE DAILY BREAKFAST, LUNCH AND DINNER FROM OUR CHEMICAL-FREE GARDENS. ADDITIONALLY, 2-HOUR GUIDED RANCH TOUR AND TWICE DAILY YOGA CLASSES ARE INCLUDED WITH EVERY OVERNIGHT STAY.On the hills of Rancho Margot, you will find our 17 deluxe bungalows. The Caño Negro river whisper will guide you to the most peaceful rest possible, only to wake up the next day with the loud call of the howler monkeys. Hidden in our botanical gardens are bungalows, equipped to house couples or families of up to 4 people. Each bungalow has its own terrace on which you may enjoy the incredible view while relaxing on your hammock with a great book. Bungalows feature Orthopedic mattresses and are available with two queen beds or one queen bed and two singles. Additional amenities include mosquito netting, rocking chair, table & chairs, and handmade soaps. Each bungalow is equipped with a private bathroom with shower.Our vision is to protect our sustainable rainforest facility but also to make it an educational playground for adults and children alike, where we can inspire a new generation of global citizens to continue ‘closing the circle.’Rancho Margot is a family enterprise where everyone is welcome. We’re living our dream, and we invite you to join us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Booking.com and HotelsClick so you can book your Rancho Margot reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rancho Margot Hotel Arenal Volcano National Park
- Rancho Margot Costa Rica/El Castillo