“Interesting cave”

Pech Merle Cave and Saint Cirq Lapopie Village Visit from Sarlat
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Cabrerets
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: One of the world's finest painted prehistoric caves.
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

The paintings in this cave are overlapping and incomplete. Even the wonderful spotted horses seem intended to cover what was there before. Makes you think of gang graffiti? There are also other interesting things in the cave. English tours can be reserved.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,002)

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Was booked for 12.00, and was put onto the earlier tour at 10.45.

Was put on a french speaking tour, and we were given a scrap of paper showing a handwritten note about high Co2 levels in the cave. Heed this warning, if you have respiratory issues, do not go into the caves, we were all short of breath, and even the guide was having issues breathing!

We were given a paper guide to the tour, which was very well written, however hard to read in the low light of the caves.

The caves were spectacular and well worth the trip, however we were at the back of the group and found that the lights were being turned off before we could see some of the paintings.

Visited the cafe, the hot food seemed lacking so we ended up sticking to the ice creams and a soft drink.

1  Thank willwilts
Reviewed 27 April 2014

One of the most incredible things I have ever seen. Even though the tour was conducted in French and I missed a lot of the detail, the paintings were awe inspiring and needed little explanation. The English guide book was sufficient for that. It was a difficult drive to get there but well worth it, and the highlight of my trip to France.

1  Thank Chappie_LFT
Reviewed 25 April 2014

A good one hour tour though if you do not speak French you will miss a lot unless you join the once a day guided tour in English.

1  Thank sophie83
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Since I had first learned of Lascaux I have longed to see it but never thought it would be possible. Of course, it is not possible now since you can only see the excellent reproduction. Having now seen both, I believe I like Peche-Merle more.

We visited Grotte du Peche-Merle and were lucky to have an English-speaking guide. The cave is fantastic and I would definitely stand in a long line to see it again. We reserved tickets online but at the time of year when we went, October, it would have been possible to walk in and buy tickets that day. Not so in the summer. You must go with a guide. There is, I believe, one English tour a day. Our guide was very knowledgeable and patient. He made sure everyone was able to see each picture. He answered all our questions. What I liked was that he did not try to make up stories of the paintings and the painters. He very honestly explained that what he was telling us were theories and that there are many unanswered questions. It made me want to learn more on my own. Highly recommended and worth a special trip while it is still open to the public.

2  Thank blackdog71