“Quaint Location Near Salzburg”

Gasthof zum Kirchenwirt
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Puch
Reviewed 12 June 2013

On travelling through Austria, we elected to stop over for a 1 night stay at Gastof zum Kirchenwirt in Puch (near the town of Hallein), having been recommended by a local.

The hotel is family run and situated amongst a picturesque mountainous background approximately 15 minutes south of Salzburg (there is a bus service into Salzburg), with free parking readily available, either in front of the building or in the car park across the road.

Our “comfort double room” (price 98 euros) which was located on the second floor was spacious, clean, comfortable and quiet, with typical Bavarian furnishings (although bathroom was surprisingly tiny). A small balcony was off the room providing lovely mountain views. Wi-fi was available free of charge and worked without a problem from our room. As an added bonus, the hotel has a lift operating between all floors.

At the time of our stay, a wedding was being held, so evening restaurant dining meal choices were somewhat limited, however, both the quality and quantity of the food on offer could not be faulted, whilst the prices were also very good.

The owner of the hotel also made a point of briefly introducing himself to all guests who were dining which was a nice touch and the overall quality of service from all staff during our stay was pleasant and friendly.

Breakfast comprised a standard buffet selection of cereals, fruits, cold meats, breads, pastries etc although basic but quite satisfactory.

It is also worth mentioning that the hotel has an excellent wellness facility comprising sauna, steam room, spa, relaxation room and other additional facilities which are open from mid-afternoon until 9pm in the evening.

Overall, we had a very pleasant brief stay and would recommend this 3 star hotel as an ideal location for persons not wishing to stay in Salzburg itself. The hotel also accepts Visa and Mastercard.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with Alpine views and a reasonably sized bathroom
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bowoodforest

Reviewed 11 August 2012

If you want to forget about crowded places, if you want to taste the freedom far from the city and enjoy the fresh air, if you want to "taste" the austrian atmosphere in a friendly environment, this place it's a perfect place. If you want something else than all these mentioned above....for sure Puch bei Salzburg and Gasthof zum Kirchenwirt can not help :)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 March 2012

This was an excellent hotel and I would definitely stay here again. I am a female traveling along on business and I felt very comfortable at this hotel. I was here for 3 nights. The rooms are clean. The breakfast is good with fresh bread from the bakery and their own restaurant. I enjoyed trying the Austrian food in the restaurant but be aware that the eating area at the bar is for smokers but they also have a non-smoking room where you can eat. I didn't know that so I suffered the smoke for 2 nights. But the atmosphere in the smoking room actually has more character than the non-smoking room so I still enjoyed it.

Here is something really nice: It was raining and the hotel owner knew I had to walk to the university. First he offered me an umbrella. Then I think he felt really sorry for me because he offered to drive me there himself. I took him up on it and we went straight to his car. How nice is that???? All of the staff were really helpful and kind. I would come back here in a second. The hotel is an excellent value for the price. I give it my highest recommendation and I travel a lot on business. I loved it!

Room Tip: I had a corner room on the north side. You get some noise from the street but it didn't really...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank gamera13
Reviewed 21 September 2011

My husband and I, along with my parents, stayed at this guesthouse for 2 nights while visiting the Salzburg area. A great choice!

The rooms gave us a lot of space to spread out. The bed was very comfortable and the pillows you sank into after a long day of touring. The shower and toilet were in separate areas, which was a little odd. Shower had good temperature control and pressure. Plenty of counter space. Used the hairdryer, good working order. Plenty of closet space with ample hangers and a laundry bag. The breakfast was ok...cereals, fruits, pastries, meats, drip coffee, tea, and juice. We ate in the restaurant the night before we departed Salzburg. Nice waitstaff and was attentive to our needs. Had a nicely arranged cheese plate (found out I don't like Munster cheese), meat dish with french fries, and pasta. Nice local Riesling wine to accomodate our meals, too. The location was good, close to the main highway to Salzburg (about a 15 minute drive). Our rooms were overlooking a neighborhood and the village of Puch. One morning, we briefly watched the sheep roam up a nearby hill. My Dad used the free WiFi in their room and had good signal strength the entire time. My Mom appreciated the small decorative details to each room and the entire building, very charming. All staff here were pleasant and eager to help. Note that they do not accept credit cards for payment, but cash only.

Would recommend this guesthouse in Puch to those who are looking for an alternative to staying in Salzburg.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank 1hotam
Reviewed 19 July 2011

It was the most unfriendly hotel we ever visited. If you not have made à reservation, you are in deep trubble, or you Will be completely ignored. The elderly lady in the dinningroom told us that the diningroom was fullt booked but you can sit here she sad whith a sour voice. The same happened again when we had breakfast, ther was a number on the table with roomnumbers, but ours was missing. The Cind elderly man sat us Down and took away someone Elses number and got yelled at while we were sitting there. We Checked out in 5 min. Sorry for beeng a swede on wacation in puch.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gibson024
Reviewed 24 August 2010

We've been here for 4 nights, and overall had a very pleasant stay. The hotel staff is very nice - though they might seem a little rigid at first, they are actually very kind. They don't volunteer a lot of information, so make sure to ask and they will be extremely helpful. Just wish more of them would speak English, but it wasn't that hard to be understood after all.
All public areas have a lot of character and are decorated in typical Austrian style, the breakfast buffet is great - the fresh strawberry yougurt was superb! We also dined here almost every night, as the cuisine is delicious.
The only downside was, we brought our laptop with us but found out only upon arrival that their wireless network was not working - we didn't have any network cables with us, so we weren't able to connect to the Internet while there - just make sure to bring a cable with you, so that you can connect your PC to the outlet available in any room.
We had a car, but ended up using the bus to go to Salzburg everyday - we found it quite expensive at € 3/ride per person, but with the Puch "Guest card" (ask at the hotel reception!) it was reduced to € 2, and it's very convenient and fast - just take a look at the timetable in advance, as the service is considerably reduced in the summertime.
We would definitely recommend it if you're looking for a quiet location outside the city - you can also walk around the town a little bit, and you'll see lots of beautiful houses with incredible gardens.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lory_mus
Reviewed 1 November 2009

On arrival (by train) my fiancee and I didn't get in until very late, 3 am...We called ahead, and the Inn keeper left a key and a note saying welcome on the front desk. When we woke, we realized we'd overslept thru breakfast...They were more than happy to still serve us, bringing more food than the 2 of us could eat! The next couple of days, they advised us on what to do, what to see. They helped with translation, and even drove us to the Trainstation to save us a taxi fare. Very wonderful, happy, helpful people.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puch
Hotel Auwirt
#1 of 1 in Bad Vigaun
Momentum Hotel
Momentum Hotel
#3 of 5 in Anif

Been to Gasthof zum Kirchenwirt? Share your experiences!