One reason you come here is to get a glimpse of the rare and beautiful Quetzal and a few hundred other bird species. If your reason is bird watching make sure you arrange for a guide through the hotel. The guides are expert bird spotters and will take you directly to the places where you will see the most birds including the elusive Quetzal. We were able to get about a half dozen sightings of the Quetzal while hiking about 1km into the forest canopy. The hotel facilities are simple but complete fortunately minus some modern distractions like TV. If you wear an expedition shirt and zip off quick dry hiking pants, you will fit right in. Binoculars are a must and even a modest telephoto camera will get you some great pics. Our guide put our iPhone up to his spotting scope for excellent pictures. Lots of hiking in the area, we even saw a capuchin monkey which is rare for this area. Excellent Costa Rican fare is served buffet style. Remember to tip the staff including guides. They do accept US dollars.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Eighty-nine kilometers (55.3 miles) south of San Jose in a private natural reserve of 400 hectares and just 9 km. (5.5 miles) from Los Quetzales National Park, Hotel Savegre is the ideal starting point for exploring Costa Rica’s magnificent tropical cloud forest in all its beauty. Hotel Savegre’s services are the perfect complement for every nature lover seeking a memorable experience. We offer 41 rooms, bar and restaurant, day spa, conference room, laundry service, shuttle service, tours and related activities, as well as our beautiful gardens and impressive private reserve with its extensive network of trails. Our helpful and genuinely friendly staff are the hotel’s signature feature.The Chacon family, pioneers in the San Gerardo de Dota region have been operating the hotel since its inception and it has always been our utmost aim to provide top-quality service that goes hand in hand with the environment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Savegre Hotel, Natural Reserve & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Savegre Hotel, Natural Reserve And Spa
- Savegre Hotel, Natural Reserve Hotel San Gerardo De Dota
- Savegre Mountain Cartago
- Savegre Hotel, Natural Reserve & Spa Costa Rica/San Gerardo De Dota