My wife and I spent three days at Savegre lodge in July and loved it. The purpose of our trip was to hike on Cerro del la Muerte. We rented a car from Poas in Alejuela (a good experience). The ride was uneventful except for getting lost for a while in San Jose and gets "interesting" as you descend the steep dirt road into the valley. The accommodations were very nice. The room was large and comfortable. The hotel has beautifully groomed gardens that seem to have been planted specifically to attract birds. We chose not to get the meal plan and had only breakfast included. This worked out well for us. There is a small "soda"(restaurant that does not serve alcohol) and plant store a short walk down the street that served really good food for much less money than the hotel. We had some meals in the hotel and the food and service was very good. The hotel will also pack you a lunch if you are planning to go off on adventures. Most of the visitors here seemed to be birdwatchers. The lounge is very comfortable with a nice fireplace burning in the evenings. You might think that a fire in July in the tropics would be strange but at 7000 feet elevation it was really welcome. Drinks were a bit expensive and I would recommend that if you wish to partake in beer wine or other adult beverages that you stock up before leaving Cartago since there did not seem to be anywhere to get supplied anywhere on the interamerican highway or near the hotel. The first day we hiked the cataratas trail with spectacular waterfall views. The second we took a much longer hike the Robles or oaks trail up into the cloud forest . There are a few nice views of the valley below but for the most part we were in the forest. The entire 4.5 hour hike is on the hotel property! The last hike was from the top of the Cerro del la Muerte 11,332 feet to the hotel. We arranged a ride to the top of the mountain through the hotel and a guide, Raul and I would highly recommend him. The valley around the hotel has been developed to farm things that do not generally grow in the tropics, like apples, peaches, cherries and trout. It is an unbelievably beautiful area and I strongly recommend that if you are looking for something a little off the beaten path in CR you check out San Gerado de Dota and Savrege lodge.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Eighty-nine kilometers (55.3 miles) south of San Jose in a private natural reserve of 400 hectares and just 9 km. (5.5 miles) from Los Quetzales National Park, Hotel Savegre is the ideal starting point for exploring Costa Rica’s magnificent tropical cloud forest in all its beauty. Hotel Savegre’s services are the perfect complement for every nature lover seeking a memorable experience. We offer 41 rooms, bar and restaurant, day spa, conference room, laundry service, shuttle service, tours and related activities, as well as our beautiful gardens and impressive private reserve with its extensive network of trails. Our helpful and genuinely friendly staff are the hotel’s signature feature.The Chacon family, pioneers in the San Gerardo de Dota region have been operating the hotel since its inception and it has always been our utmost aim to provide top-quality service that goes hand in hand with the environment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and getaroom.com so you can book your Savegre Hotel, Natural Reserve & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Savegre Hotel, Natural Reserve And Spa
- Savegre Hotel, Natural Reserve Hotel San Gerardo De Dota
- Savegre Mountain Cartago
- Savegre Hotel, Natural Reserve & Spa Costa Rica/San Gerardo De Dota