The Savegre experience is amazing. While the narrow, bumpy road that is the only way in (or out!) complete with blind switchbacks give one pause (and finger-crossing to not encounter any large trucks coming the other way), the destination is worth it. If you are lucky, you will see the eye-catching Resplendent Quetzal on your approach to the lodge. We were lucky, seeing four of the glorious birds in a tree on the edge of the road.
We stayed for two nights at the Savegre lodge in July on a private guided bird watching trip. The food was excellent--just be sure to ask the chef what the buffet items are as they are not labeled--to avoid any issues. The grounds are amazingly landscaped and offer excellent viewing of hummingbirds and many, many other birds.
The lodge has just build several new cabins, we were in one of them. The only issue was that the walk-in shower appears to not have the right drainage slope and the rest of the bathroom would get wet. The rooms are beautiful, with large picture windows backing on to the private woods, and to the gardens out front.
I did not find the beds or pillows, although brand new, to be comfortable. That was the biggest disappointment.
The wifi is free and available only in the bar/restaurant area. We would bring our own beverages and sit in the outside / covered seats near the bar entrance to check our email.
The lodge is a long long ways from any stores so be sure to pre-purchase/pack what you need.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Eighty-nine kilometers (55.3 miles) south of San Jose in a private natural reserve of 400 hectares and just 9 km. (5.5 miles) from Los Quetzales National Park, Hotel Savegre is the ideal starting point for exploring Costa Rica’s magnificent tropical cloud forest in all its beauty. Hotel Savegre’s services are the perfect complement for every nature lover seeking a memorable experience. We offer 41 rooms, bar and restaurant, day spa, conference room, laundry service, shuttle service, tours and related activities, as well as our beautiful gardens and impressive private reserve with its extensive network of trails. Our helpful and genuinely friendly staff are the hotel’s signature feature.The Chacon family, pioneers in the San Gerardo de Dota region have been operating the hotel since its inception and it has always been our utmost aim to provide top-quality service that goes hand in hand with the environment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Ebookers so you can book your Savegre Hotel, Natural Reserve & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Savegre Hotel, Natural Reserve And Spa
- Savegre Hotel, Natural Reserve Hotel San Gerardo De Dota
- Savegre Mountain Cartago
- Savegre Hotel, Natural Reserve & Spa Costa Rica/San Gerardo De Dota