“Fabulous value for money and a great place to crash after a long day's skiing”
Review of St Gothard Hotel

St Gothard Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Erts
Reviewed 19 March 2010

In the last week of February 2010, my boyfriend, two other couples and I stayed at the Hotel St. Gothard, we are all between 24 and 30 years old. The hotel is on the border of Arinsal and Erts, however, Arinsal, the gondola to the slopes and all the bars and restaurants are within walking distance. We did take the bus every morning to the gondola because is it uphill and takes around 10 minutes to walk there, especially when you are carrying ski boots. However, we always walked back from the slopes and après ski bars.

Although I do agree that the hotel should not have been given a four star rating, the value we saw from the £550 each we paid was fantastic. We booked through Neilson and the price covered flights, accommodation, lift pass, ski equipment and half board dining at the St. Gothard.

The rooms were comfortable and had a decent shower and bath (though the shower seemed to have been built for small children since the head barely reached my stomach, you therefore have to hold it!)

Contrary to other reviews, the food in the dining room was actually very nice and I am a relatively picky eater. There is a buffet every breakfast and dinner with plenty to choose from; I particularly enjoyed the full English breakfast and Pannetone in the morning and the pasta dishes and prosciutto in the evening. Even the fussiest of guests could find something to their taste.

We frequented the hotel bar almost every night, it had a comfortable atmosphere and on the Wednesday we were joined by an Elvis impressionist, Mike Jones, a treat not to be missed! The older couple who formed the band 'Peck and Peck' were rather bizarre and their musical talent (compared to Elvis' at least) left a lot to be desired. Failing that there are lots of bars and restaurants up the road which provide free champagne (for ladies on Wednesdays), toasties, tapas and nachos. We particularly liked Cisco's, a bar with a cave like feel with penny candles nestled in the walls. The music was excellent and the table football and nail game provide a good distraction from the sport for the boys.

The skiing was brilliant. For more confident skiers, Arinsal perhaps gets a bit monotonous after a few days so I recommend taking the gondola to Pal where you will find more challenges, (usually) great snow and fantastic scenery. For those in our group who were less confident, Arinsal provided them with quite a few blue runs which they had mastered by the end of the week and they were then ready for the Pal experience.

I would definitely recommend Arinsal as a place to ski, socialise and as the most beautiful ski resort I have come across. Hotel St. Gothard was a nice place to relax in after a long day skiing and somewhere I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for St Gothard Hotel

Reviewed 16 March 2010

-The advertised cable TV only has 2 english speaking channels (CNN & sky news).
-The advertised jacuzzi (which actually costs 6 Euro's per person for 30 mins) is cold.
-No food or room service or even snacks are available outside main meal times and the earliest dinner isn't available until 7:30.
-Staff lose their ability to speak english at key moments, always when you need something, but never when your spending money or leaving a tip.
-The hotel provides 'do not disturb' signs for the rooms but does not take any notice of them, banging the door and calling the phone from reception because the maid wants access and your running slightly late.
-The hotel is actually outside the town limits of Arinsal and close to nothing.
- OK if you get it for next to nothing, otherwise, give it a miss!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 March 2010

Stayed for a week with Topflight. Got top floor rooms at back of hotel overlooking the mountains as requested via email after reading other reviews. Room was spacious, warm and clean. So much hot water for bubbly baths every night with fresh towels and plenty of toiletries which were replenished every day. Room was thoroughly cleaned every day - beds made with fresh sheets, floor mopped, bathroom cleaned etc - lovely to come back to after a day on the slopes. We found buffet breakfast and dinner was very good - plenty of choice - could find something tasty to eat at every meal. Got a bottle of house wine each night - €9 - if you dont finish it then its kept safe for you until the next evening. On morning of departure we could get some coffee and croissants etc even though it was 4.30 in the morning!!!!! There is a ski-bus which picks you up outside the hotel to take you up to Gondola. We found the 0930 bus up and 1600 down the most reliable - other times didnt seem to be as good?!?! Gave us plenty of time on the slopes. The evening entertainment was very "Butlins" so unless you love strong, Northern-accented Karaoke then stay clear! Good pubs/bars around the Gondola for "happy hour" after you come down from mountains. Cisco's/Quo Vadis/Il Derby etc .... our favorite was Quo Vadis where you absolutely have to sample the Chilli Cheese Nacho's - to die for!! Loved the hotel, loved the resort and loved the skiing. Highly recommend it all!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank bopeep96
Reviewed 15 March 2010

After reading the reviews I was very unsure what to expexct.Hotel food was not brilliant,but we did not starve.The staff were friendly ,rooms lovely and clean,with great view.Skiing was fantastic,the walk up the hill was 17 mins,come off it if you can ski all day a walk up the hill is not going to kill you.!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2010

After reading many reviews before travelling, I was a little wary of what to expect from this hotel.

I've been skiing in Andorra now for the last 8 years and used to have the use of an apartment in Ordino. This was the first year that I had to seek alternative accomodation.

Now before I go into detail, I must say that I don't go with the herds. What I mean is, I usually fly into Barcelona and then hire a car and drive to Andorra (3 Hours).
This means that I'm not tied to one resort.

Anyone that has skied at all the resorts in Andorra before will probably agree that Arinsal is the smallest, least challanging, and busiest of the resorts. You can get the bubble from the top of Arinsal which will take you to Pal. Here there are more runs, they are wider, groomed regularly and quieter.

Many of the locals go to Ordino Arcalis which is a fantastic resort with wide sweeping runs suitable for all ski levels. This resort was really quiet when I was there earlier this week which meant that quite often you had the run all to yourself.

If you are able to travel a little further, you'll find the resorts that fall under the Grand Valira heading. These are Encamp, Canillo, El Tarter, Soldeu, Grau Roig and Pas De La Casa.
You can get a ticket for the individual resorts or one that covers all the resorts. Just make sure that you leave yourself enough time to get the lifts back to where you started.

So my list of resorts from favourite to least favourite would read;
Ordino Arcalis
The Grand Valira resorts
Pal
Arinsal

This said, Ordino Arcalis is a drive to get to and has little to offer in the way of night life.
The Grand Valira resorts seemed to have great access from the hotels to the slopes and plenty of bars and restaurants nearby (particularly good were Soldeu and Pas Da La Casa).

So back to the St Gothard.
I was looking for a base that had plenty of free parking, and was close enough to drive to Andorra La Vella (capital, for shopping) and central enough for me to drive to whichever resorts I fancied.

There was plenty of free parking. The rooms were of a good size and were cleaned with fresh towels every day. Reception staff were friendly and eager to help. Breakfast was fantastic. Huge selection from pastries, cereals, yoghurts, cold meats and cheeses, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, baked beans, fruit juices, tea, coffee, etc etc.

We were on a Bed & Breakfast basis so didn't eat in the restaurant in the evenings. However we did take a look and the selection looked as extensive as the breakfast selection. If we had booked half board at the time the evening meal would have cost us an additional 10 euros a day which seems great value for money.

The hotel seemed a little dated but was clean and had free wifi in the reception area.
There was a large bar area with plasma tv, a couple of pool tables and a games room with air hocky and arcade games.
The hotel put on evening entertainment. It was a little like being at butlins but was good fun if you didn't take it seriously.
Being a non smoker, I found the bar and reception area a little smokey.

We went to a few of the local bars. Yes, a 10 minute walk up the hill but good exercise.

We paid £160 each for bed and breakfast for a week which I thought was fantastic value for money.

A lot of people have complained about the staff, the food, having to walk 10 minutes to the gondala, having to catch a free bus to take them up to the slopes, the hotels FREE entertainment etc etc.

They have paid Aldi prices and expect Marks & Spencer!!

And what about the one who complained that there was nothing for his pregnant wife to do !!

If you want to have a hotel on the slopes, then try La Plagne or Courchevel, but expect to dig deeper than what you would pay for this hotel. A lot deeper!!

I am in Courchevel 1850 for christmas 2010 and then La Plagne Bellecote for January 2011 but will definately be coming back to this hotel in March 2011.

If you get the chance, hire a car and ski in the other resorts as well.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank stbsgc
Reviewed 2 March 2010

I booked a ski pack that included this hotel. When I arrived and showed my reservation, they informed me about where to collect the skis, but they didn't give me the ski pass. When I got to the slopes, after queuing for half an hour, I found out the passes where at the hotel. Try to walk 700 metres in ski boots! When we had been waiting for the bus to the hotel for more than an hour, the lady at the ski pass ticket office kindly phoned the hotel, but they refused to send us the passes. When we finally found a taxi, they told us that it was our fault. As a result, I started skiing at 13:00 and as the weather was getting worse and worse I could only ski for an hour. Whenever I tried to complain, they treated me as if I were stupid and to top it off, they didn't even look at me when I checked out. Besides, if you are a non-smoker this is not your place, because the bar and the hall is full of smoke. And you have to pay 6 euros for half an hour of spa (when it's included in the price of many hotels). Honestly, if you want to relax, keep away from this place.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank unhappyskierMalaga
Reviewed 2 March 2010

this hotel is nice but the location is awful, true the ski bus takes you to the gondola in the morning but at night you have to walk and its a 10-15 minute walk completely uphill!!!!! Also if you want to get a taxi from the hotel to the pub at night it will cost 15 euro, complete rip off for such a short journey. Basically a nice hotel but would definitely not stay there again as the location is so bad. I did not like the resort of Arinsal as a whole, found the people to be rude and the service in shops, restaurants, bars etc to be very poor. I went snowboarding with topflight and this meant that due to our package that we had to rent our boards and boots from Pic Negre a shop at the top of the gondola. The staff in this shop are extremely rude, if you have the misfortune to have to rent gear here be ready to deal with the surly staff and do not buy anything. My boyfriend and I both bought helmets on our first evening in the Pic Negre store and when my boyfriends didnt fit he tried to exchange it the next morning for a bigger size (tags all still on) the guy who we dealt with the night before had suddenly forgotten how to speak english even tho he was perfectly able to communicate with us when we were buying. My sister was refused a refund on goods bought 24 hrs previously. Also when we rented our boards they didnt ask us what foot we led with or checked any information with us, everything was thrown at us. So i do not think i will be returning to Arinsal but if I do I will definitely be trying to stay at the Princess Parc hotel and not going near the Pic Negre shop!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Erts
Hotel Spa Princesa Parc
Hotel Piolets Park & Spa
Hotel Magic Ski
Hotel Magic Ski
#3 of 10 in La Massana

Been to St Gothard Hotel? Share your experiences!