“Its a disgusting hole, dont go there, EVER!!!!!!”
Review of Carnarvon Lodge

Carnarvon Lodge
Carnarvon Lodge
Ranked #3 of 3 Kirribilli B&B and Inns
Anna Bay, Australia
“Its a disgusting hole, dont go there, EVER!!!!!!”
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We booked and paid for a dbl ensuite room with The Carnarvon Lodge 3 weeks before. On arrival we knew straight away all was not as it seemed in the pictures we had seen on the internet, apart from smelling bad the place looked dirty and messy.The owner Anthony had a blank look on his face when we said we had booked a double room with an ensuite, he went away into his office for ages then came out to say he had no room for us, on asking why he said he did not know only that all the double ensuite rooms had been booked out. He did however offer us another room. He took us to the room opened the door and the smell that came from the room nearly made me throw up, cats pee, smoke and body odour it was disgusting, the sheets were filthy and messy and there were 2 old towels chucked on the bed. I told him there was no way we would be staying in the room and we wanted our money back. He agreed although he looked suprised and obviously could not see what all the fuss was about, he said he could not smell anything in the room. I cannot understand why Anthony Cheng is allowed to run such a digusting hotel and get away with it. Maybe health and saftey should pay them a visit.!

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Jackie T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Canberra
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I stayed at the Carnarvon Lodge for 2 nights.I first noticed that the common room at the reception was quite messy and even unclean, but I didn't worry too much. But on the following morning I woke up with a few mosquitoes bites- that's what I thought- and on the second morning my body was covered with dozens of huge, terribly itching bites which actually seemed to be bed bugs bites. I had to go to a doctor once, and then a second time because my condition was worsening. He knows think I suffer from a severe form of scabies. I am on medication and had to take 2 days off from work so far.
Still interested in Carnarvon Lodge?

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank Caroline C

Travellers are raving about these Kirribilli hotels

Kyabram, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 18 February 2013

So as it was our first ever holiday away from home my friend and I were looking for some cheap accommodation. On arrival we had to wait a while for someone to greet us. We had made a phone call before booking the room confirming that we could get a room with 2 singles and a private bathroom which in turn we didn't get. We ended up with a double ensuite. The room was tiny and the fan did nothing to cool down the room.
The shower door broke and came off the railing on the first night and had to fix it ourselves. We had only been given a towel each and one roll of toilet paper for the week so we had to do quite a bit of calling and texting of the owner to even find out where to get another roll of toilet paper and had to ask around to find out where we could get towels from.
We bought a portable fan to try and get the room to a comfortable temperature which once we managed this the room was slightly more comfortable.
In comparison to some of the things that others had experienced our experience didn't seem so bad.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank BlindMag
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 January 2013

How on earth does this place even rate 3 stars should be minus! It is a hole, overpriced, filthy, poorly managed and no customer service. We were made to feel that we were lucky to have paid to stay in a filthy, smelly room that was crammed with old crappy furniture, absolutely filthy bathroom sink and shower, no fly screens (it is summer in Australia) power points that were hanging from the wall, tv with no reception, filthy yellow sheets, quilt and pillowcase (my dog has better, cleaner bedding than this) AND charged for parking as well. I cannot even understand how the local Council has given them permission to make a garage into 2 extra rooms and turn an awning into 2 additional rooms and insulate the plastic ceiling with old bits of carpet. To make it worse the common areas are just eeww and there are signs everywhere telling you that you will be fined if you don't put the fan on when you have a shower as it may set the alarm off. The only water available was cold - no hot water at all, how can cold water make an alarm go off. The fridge was turned off and closed - the smell!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't bother to book - avoid your disappointment
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Anna M
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 8 December 2012

This is a truly awful place.
Its marketing on the internet as a private hotel, which is suitable for holiday stays and for conference stays, is simply misleading. It is a rundown boarding house with none of the facilities or services that you would expect at a budget 3 star private hotel. The Kirribilli location is very convenient but this is the only positive thing that can be said.
I stayed there earlier this year when I travelled from Adelaide to Sydney for a 3 day professional conference. I had booked from Sunday evening to Wednesday morning and had paid in advance.
When I arrived, there was no one there to meet me. The manager, Anthony Cheng, had failed to turn up. This, apparently, is common. Arriving guests often find themselves stranded especially in the evenings. There appear to be no set office hours. When asked, the manager will not give you a straight answer as to when he will be there. I quickly found that there was no point trying to talk to the cleaner. He did not speak a word of English or at least pretended not to. He came across as a Chinese Manuel. The manager's English was very poor - at least Basil spoke English.
After several calls and waiting 90 minutes, Anthony finally turned up. He made no attempt to apologise. He showed me my room, Room 12. I do not know how he could have had the nerve to present me with a room in that state. it was filthy and smelt of cigarettes. It had not been cleaned after the previous guest. I had to wait another 30 minutes until it was cleaned. Anthony barked orders at the cleaner in Chinese as if he were a dog. He is incredibly arrogant and appears to have no respect for anyone.
I was woken up at 7.00am the next morning by the sound of jackhammers working on the house next door only 2 metres from my window.
It got worse. When I got back on the Monday evening from the first day of my conference, I found all of my clothes, belongings and business papers stacked up against the wall in the hallway outside my room and someone else in the room. Anthony had charged the other guest as well for the same room. The other guest produced a receipt. My laptop and spare glasses had already been stolen. No staff were available to deal with the problem - even if I had been able to find one that spoke English. Anthony was not there. Again, I had to telephone him to come to fix the problem. I had to wait over an hour until 8.30pm. He made no apology and simply said that the room had been booked to the other guest by mistake. He said that he did not have any other rooms available and that there was nothing that he could do for me. He did not in any sense apologise for or accept responsibility for his incompetence (or, perhaps, dishonesty). I found myself stranded at 9.00pm and had to find another hotel.
My other observations are - the whole place was very dirty especially the bathrooms and kitchen, there were cockroaches behind the fridge in the kitchen and there was only one old Maytag washing machine for over 35 people and, apparently, it is often used by the hotel staff and often breaks down.
This place is worse than Fawlty Towers. I strongly discourage anyone from staying there. Hopefully, I can spare others from my experience.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank Russell C
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 12 November 2012

It may be in Kiribilli, a swanky neighborhood, but don't be fooled... It is the worst accommodation you will find in Oz. Hygiene is obviously not an important consideration here. The kitchen counter tops are oily, the dustbins are left open and overflowing, saucepans are stored under a leaky sink and the storage cupboards in said kitchen have not been cleaned out in years. Yes it is cheap accommodation, but surely clean can come with cheap! The bedroom I was given was cramped with hardly space to move around and very very basic. I was told I had to wash my towel and pillow case as they do not refresh them even on a weekly basis. And the bathroom... That made me gag! I have shared bathrooms in other places, but with considerate people. There were a couple of times I went to use the bathroom at Carnarvon next to my room onl to find the toilet bowl smeared with excrement and pee. I kid you not. The owner Anthony does not seem unduly concerned with the upkeep of the place and is only interested in taking your money... He cares two hoots about customer service, probably hasn't heard of it ever. In my opinion this place should be shut down as it gives affordable accommodation in Oz a bad name. I do not understand how the authorities allow it to continue operating at all. Avoid this place like the plague... It is not as it seems in the photographs, believe me!

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Lioness1202
Greater Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I was trying something different as I am sick of hotels. This place was a bit disappointing. I was given a room with two single beds that at best could be described as basic - very basic

They mixed up my booking and it was a nightmare trying to sort it out. To be fair they let me stay and we sorted the booking out later on. Would have been useful to have a receptionist who spoke English

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank Martin C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirribilli
Meriton Suites North Sydney
Holiday Inn Old Sydney
#43 of 178 in Sydney
Central Business District
Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney

Been to Carnarvon Lodge? Share your experiences!