“We thought we would be murdered in our beds!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Carnarvon Lodge

Carnarvon Lodge
Carnarvon Lodge
Ranked #3 of 3 Kirribilli B&B and Inns
Kuwait
“We thought we would be murdered in our beds!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I can't believe that Carnarvon Lodge is still in operation. Following my stay here I reported them to the Health Department NSW for various health and safety infringements: smoking in all parts of hotel, including common areas; signs in bathrooms warning not to open door or it may set off a fire alarm and cause fire brigade to attend premises on a false pretence, that I would be responsible for paying a fine for; exposed electrical wires; filthy carpets, furniture; room overcrowded with furniture; overflowing bathrooms..... need I go on??? This place should come with a Hazchem warning!!!! If you value your health and personal safety, stay way!!

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour, don't!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Dominique M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

The room we had was dirty from the previous stay. Looked like all they had done was change the sheets. There were holes in the walls, the tap in the ensuite was falling off, one of the blinds was attached with masking tape and half the power points didn't work. Overall a rubbish place to stay and very over priced. Disgusted.

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank 4wding

Travellers are raving about these Kirribilli hotels

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Air con leaked water all over the entire floor. As others have said, everything about this place is horrible. Simply just don't come here. Fork out a tad more cash for something a lot better. The only slightly positive about it is the location. Nice area and close to the train station.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Oliver K
chedzoy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

Booked this place for a family trip to Sydney - didn't have high expectations - all we wanted was something clean and basic - would be out all day anyway. Where do I start? How can you go wrong with clean and basic? My daughter slept in a bunk bed and there was a window over it with a large dinner plate sized whole in it - when we told Anthony he already knew about it but seemed to think it wasn't anything to worry about! The bed was clean - the only good factor! All the sockets were loose with wires hanging out and didn't even want to touch the tv because of the amount of wires hanging naked out of the plug. The best bit was the cockroaches OMG never seen anything like it in my life. Had secure all our bags and zip all clothes into them to prevent their access and we had sleep with the lights on as it was the only way I could think of to at least keep them in their hiding places. Also discovered by accident one key fits all! I do not understand how there is even one reasonbley positive review unless you cockroaches of course and I have to add they were also in the kitchen.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank pinkjudy69
Canberra, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

Disgusting. The room smelt bad and I found out at 1am why - the mattress I was sleeping on was blood soaked and wrapped in plastic. It stunk like a used tampon rotting. I slept with my head out the window and on top of all the bed linen desperately trying to not breathe. I am sure this is illegal and a health hazard. I told the guys in the office when I left and he simply shrugged and pretended he didn’t know. I will be following up with Government authorities to investigate this disgusting situation – no one should have to endure this! And I will NOT be using your website to ever book hotels again given this clearly fraudulent situation (where is your duty of care vetting these places!!)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank Cheryl T
Perth, Western Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013 via mobile

My husband, myself & I stayed for one night. We came in expecting nothing. We got nothing. We came to check in n no one was there so we came back later. The owner Anthony looked confused that we were staying there, took my id into his office, shut the door n finally came back n showed us to our room. Whilst it was nothing impressive, it was fine and secure just very hot as had no air con just a slow roof fan for 2 rooms. The shared bathroom had a broken window,.broken shower screen and no drainage system. Whilst the room and service was nothing special it was fine for the night we stayed but wouldn't stay again. Great spot in a nice suburb but advertising very deceiving. Heard another guest complaining about dirty sheets and another bed having no sheets.

• Stayed March 2013
7 Thank My4littlepigs
Anna Bay, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

We booked and paid for a dbl ensuite room with The Carnarvon Lodge 3 weeks before. On arrival we knew straight away all was not as it seemed in the pictures we had seen on the internet, apart from smelling bad the place looked dirty and messy.The owner Anthony had a blank look on his face when we said we had booked a double room with an ensuite, he went away into his office for ages then came out to say he had no room for us, on asking why he said he did not know only that all the double ensuite rooms had been booked out. He did however offer us another room. He took us to the room opened the door and the smell that came from the room nearly made me throw up, cats pee, smoke and body odour it was disgusting, the sheets were filthy and messy and there were 2 old towels chucked on the bed. I told him there was no way we would be staying in the room and we wanted our money back. He agreed although he looked suprised and obviously could not see what all the fuss was about, he said he could not smell anything in the room. I cannot understand why Anthony Cheng is allowed to run such a digusting hotel and get away with it. Maybe health and saftey should pay them a visit.!

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Jackie T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirribilli
Park Hyatt Sydney
The Rocks
Four Seasons Hotel Sydney
Central Business District
Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney

Been to Carnarvon Lodge? Share your experiences!