“So Close to Excellent”

The Secret Garden Bistro
Ranked #3 of 7 Restaurants in Malham
Price range: US$5 - US$16
Cuisines: Cafe
Description: All of our dishes are cooked to order using the best local ingredients, from chef’s take on hearty classics - freshly-baked pies, fish ‘n’ chips, melt-in-your-mouth steaks and the Beck Hall Burger - to modern British dishes with a Yorkshire twist, and not forgetting our delicious sandwiches, salads, grazing platters, freshly-baked cakes and seriously good coffees. Furthermore, The Secret Garden offers an excellent choice of vegetarian dishes. And as everything is freshly prepared and cooked onsite, we can accommodate all dietary requirements.
Reviewed 21 March 2014

There is much to like about Beck Hall. The building has charm and character and the setting next to Malham Beck is positively idyllic - even in March! In the Summer it must be even better - though somewhat busier too I'd guess. The car park is about 30 metres or so up the road though there is a 'drop off' area closer but whichever of these you use you'll approach Beck Hall over a relatively narrow footbridge. This does have a handrail though and is permanently lit at night so unless you've gone very OTT on the beer whilst out you should be OK! The guest lounge is a superb wood-panelled room which had a nice open fire burning each night and also a very reasonably priced 'honesty bar'. The cooked breakfast is one of the best we've ever had for quality. The sausages and bacon in particular were so flavoursome and so well cooked.
So "Why not 5 stars?" I hear you say.
Well firstly the 2 rooms which we occupied (one very briefly) were a bit on the small side. They'd be perfectly fine for a week-end break but if, like us, you were staying a bit longer there wasn't a lot of room to stow your clothes and luggage and absolutely nowhere to put wet or muddy gear (which in the Dales you are likely to have). I'm sure some of the other rooms are bigger than those we saw so might be worth asking if that matters to you.
The other minor bugbear was the service at breakfast. Ironically we had the best service on the busiest day (Sunday morning) as presumably they were geared up for it but on other occasions we found that we had to go and ask for a top up of coffee because no-one was keeping an eye out even though there was often only us and another couple present. On one morning we were offered a mug of coffee instead of a cup and this worked much better though having the pot available for self top-ups would be best of all.
I hesitate whether to mention this last point because so much of this is personal preference but I didn't find the staff especially engaging. They certainly weren't unfriendly but rather somewhat neutral. Given that we were there for 6 days there was never a 'what did you do yesterday?' or 'what have you got planned for today?' etc. Now some people would be quite happy to be left alone but when we're in an area we don't know that well a bit of local knowledge is more than welcome.
Anyway the above are all very minor points and I would certainly recommend Beck Hall as an excellent base for exploring this lovely area (and indeed already have to friends and family).

1  Thank TCMike54

Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Lovely little place to stop for a cream tea. Eat in or out. Access was via a little wooden bridge over the stream and the whole place has a touch of romance about it. Glad we visited and likely to return when next in the area.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Cannot praise the location and the service at this b&b. The room we had (Aire) was slightly on the small side but it was warm and comfortable and we had our dog with us, so were grateful she was allowed.

1  Thank Karen W
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We’ve only stopped here once for a cream tea out on the patio on a lovely summer’s day but it’s a lovely peaceful spot – very nice!

Reviewed 26 August 2013

I had visited Malham many times before but never the Fifty Five Café at Beck Hall B&B. I had been walking around Malham visiting Janets Foss and Goredale Scar etc and was returning to the car, I overheard a couple talking as I passed the entrance saying that they did really nice teas here so I thought I would give it a try. My hosts were very welcoming and friendly. The service was courteous and prompt. I had a pot of tea which came with 2 tea bags in the pot plus another pot of hot water to top up. I think this is a really nice touch. I had a ham sandwich which came with salad and crisps. The food was fresh and delicious. I sat outside next to the stream, it was so peaceful. I would imagine staying at the b&b itself would be an equally peasant experience