“Excellent Stay”

Beck Hall Malham
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Malham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Happy to highly recommend this hotel. It's situated in exquisitely beautiful surroundings, with Malham Cove a mile down the road and the spectacular Gordale Scar a lovely walk down the river bank via Janet's Foss. The hotel itself is idyllic, situated on a river bank, with its entrance via a stone bridge across a ford. Space for parking is just a few meters down the road. Staff are friendly and helpful and the food is excellent. There are a coupe of good pubs within 100 meters walk of Beck Hall where you can get excellent meals and a range delicious cask beers. I'll definitely be going back again.

Room Tip: When booking check to see if they have a room by the stream - should you care to fall asleep to the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
malhamtyke, Owner at Beck Hall Malham, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

Thanks for your recommendation, we are grateful and happy you enjoyed your stay with us so much, and enjoyed your afternoon tea, we would be delighted to welcome you back when you return.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,040)

Reviewed 2 July 2013

We stayed here on our Pennine Way trip in June 2013. Lovely riverside room and helpful friendly staff. Also good drying facilities. Important for us walkers! Afternoon tea was lovely. Shame they dont do evening meals as the meal we had at The Listers Arms was very poor.
Hard cabbage stalks and instant mash are not my idea of a tasty meal.Very picturesque setting. Billy & Julie Mills

Room Tip: Riverside apartments excellent
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

We are very glad your stay with us on your way along the Pennines, and we were able to look after you, thanks again for your comments and we would love to see you again next time you do the hills!

Reviewed 13 June 2013

After a long day walking all we wanted was a good strong cup of tea, a tasty sandwich and a piece of cake. Well, we got all that, totally home-made and outstanding quality. The "tea for two" with sandwiches, cake and scones with cream and jam was super value and really hit the spot. All the staff we came into contact with were attentive and friendly. Well done. Strongly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank gpl5t
malhamtyke, Owner at Beck Hall Malham, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Thank you so much for your appreciation of our tea shop offering, it is especially nice as we have just altered our offering and moved away from burgers etc. to a more traditional choice, the afternoon tea, we ( I say we, that's Tom) now bake all our cakes on site as well as prepare fresh sandwiches etc daily.
Thanks again it is great that we were able to provide you with just what you wanted.

Reviewed 8 June 2013 via mobile

Went with our 2 dogs and the room was amazing. So big and looked out onto the stream. Perfect. Booked our next visit there and then. The most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. Only one minor complaint. The tv was obstructed by the post on the 4 poster bed.

• Stayed: July 2012

Thanks for your review, We are indeed very fortunate in our location, it is the most beautiful countryside and would rival anywhere. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the facilities, also thank you for your strong praise and indeed for re-booking to come back to stay with us, we look forward to meeting you again.

Reviewed 7 June 2013

Just arrived back from 5 night stay at The Beck Hall in Malham. Hubby and dog came along too. Accommodation (room) was what you would expect for the price and the fact that animals are allowed. Brilliant location, peaceful and idyllic surroundings. Breakfast good. Steve was a great host at breakfast time. Cosy lounge area to relax in at night, honesty bar a great idea and well stocked! Would recommend and will be back for seconds. Room was great, although bathroom really needs a revamp.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Thank you very much for your comments, we have the bathroom in question in our sights for revamping. It was really nice you stayed for 5 nights as we like to get to know our guests a little better sometimes Glad you enjoyed it and we would love to see you again.

Reviewed 6 June 2013

Stayed at beck hall for two nights with our dog.absolutely wonderful. Did not want to come home.yes the weather was beautiful but the accommodation was so relaxing.yes our room was lovely,but bathroom not great.ready for revamp, but it would not stop us visiting again. Missing it already.staff so very friendly and made you feel at home and it was the best cooked breakfast we have ever had.will definitely be returning.if you want a peaceful getaway you must give it a try. Two excellent pubs in village.would recommend listers arms.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your praise, it is lovely you all enjoyed your stay with us, we maybe, obviously concentrate on the bed and breakfast bit of what we do, so it is nice to receive positive feedback.
Thanks again for your kind comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 5 June 2013

Based on other reviews, I expected this to be a great place to stay whilst completing the Pennine Way, but unfortunately I didn't have a good overall experience here. The first issue was the room I was given. It was in dire need of updating, most of the decor being from around two decades ago, the bed was lumpy and uncomfortable, the ensuite was very outdated and the shower temperature fluctuated drastically. The view out the window was of a steep grassy slope directly outside, where occasionally I could see a pair of legs walking by at close distance because it's a public walkway. Other than the room, I also had a problem at breakfast. I had asked if it was possible to have breakfast 15 minutes earlier than usual and was told to come downstairs at 0745. I understood that it might not be possible to serve early, and was completely okay with that. But when I came down at 0745 and sat in the dining room, I could hear people in the kitchen complaining about me. I sat for about 10 minutes and no one came out, but I could hear them talking about me and it kind of put a damper on my morning. I hadn't made any demands and would have had no problem with them saying "no" to an early breakfast.

I want to be really fair in this review. Everyone has an off day, and everyone complains about guests at some point. I have no criticism of that. But the owners and staff should be aware that what they say in the kitchen can clearly be heard in the dining room. In terms of the room, other people I spoke to at breakfast all had glowing compliments about their rooms which had been renovated and had amazing new showers and lovely views. So it seems like I was given a really bad room. I think it's entirely possible I would have given a much more positive review of Beck Hall if I had been given a better room and if I had not heard staff complaining about me.

On the positive side, the location is fantastic for the Pennine Way and for visiting Malham, the room was spacious, and the lounge room had an outstanding atmosphere with an open fire, lots of comfortable chairs, books, and an "honesty bar" where guests can have a drink and pay upon check-out. Would I stay again? Maybe. But I would certainly request one of the renovated rooms.

Room Tip: Request a room that has been renovated.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank fiona07

Thank you for your review, firstly unqualified apologies for your poor experience, we are disappointed you did not enjoy your stay. Now regarding the issues;
The room you stayed in is a standard double room, we decorated this room within the last 2 years, the problem perhaps is the room style is from the 70s, the room is at the back of the property and therefore has no real view, we reduced the price of this room last year when we redecorated in acknowledgement of this fact.
Maybe there was a misunderstanding regarding breakfast, the person on breakfast that morning was in fact me, I did at some point express embarrassment at the fact you had been sat for 10 mins with no-one noticing i.e. me!
Again I am very sorry if you assumed I was complaining only about yourself, when in fact it was my lacking.
You have, I feel been fair in your review overall, I hope the above goes someway as an explanation, If you ever decided to return to Malham we would be very pleased to try and make amends for your last stay, we understand that although there are 2 sides to most stories you did not enjoy your stay and that is what actually matters, not our response after the event. Please do contact us if you wish to return and we will make sure you enjoy it next time!
Thanks again for your feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Malham
Stone House Hotel
The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa
The Devonshire Fell Hotel
18 mi away
The Wheatsheaf in Wensleydale

Been to Beck Hall Malham? Share your experiences!