“Lovely food and lovely atmosphere”
Review of Black Boys Inn

Black Boys Inn
Ranked #5 of 7 Restaurants in Hurley
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We enjoyed everything about this restaurant. The decor is simple but attractive; the waitress friendly and efficient; and the food absolutely delicious. This was our friends' choice of restaurant and we knew nothing about it before we arrived. What a lovely surprise!
It was difficult to choose our meals because so many of the meals sounded attractive. We all chose different starters and every one looked equally good.
The mains were all superbly presented and delicious. We shared a bottle or two of a lovely Sauvignon blanc, served at perfect temperature.
The pudding menu looked so good that we were all seduced into partaking and again, every dish was excellent.
It was a really enjoyable evening.
Now we have discovered this gem we shall soon be back!

1  Thank 221PaulM221

Reviewed 19 April 2014

I feel i have no choice but to write this reveiw on the basis of having my worst experience in a restaurant to date (and we eat out regularly).

The decore and ambience is very welcoming with a lovely reception area and inviting dinning room. The night started well with a drink in the bar before taking our table. I ordered the crayfish and lobster salad whilst my wife had the scallops (both £9.50 which we were happy with if it was good), however I got one peice of lobster and my wife got 2 over cooked scallops ! We let that go on the basis we were trying to enjoy our night. We ordered the rib of beef to share, it took 50 minutes to arrive after we had finished our starter, again no complaints from us, however on arrival it was clear this was well over cooked and not medium rare as stated. I advised the waitress who dealt with the situation very well, she was very apologetic. I advised if it was a problem we would have somethng else that was quicker to make, we were advised that this was not necessary, another rib would be with us in 3 minutes, as the chef was doing one for himself ! I cant help thinking they half expected for it to be sent back. The second rib was better but still not great, very chewy and again over done. We ate a little and then asked the land lady to take it, I advised her that again it was not satisfactory, to which she replied very abruptly 'you dont know what your talking about'. I tried to explain in a calm manner the problem, however it was clear the she did not want to listen to what i had to say and walked away. She then came back wiped our table and said 'good night' again very rudely. My wife and I were left staring at each other tryiing to work out what had happened ? I went to the bar to advise I was happy to pay for my drinks and starter but I was not prepared to pay for the beef, again the head of the house was extremely rude and dismissive, she even walked away again when trying to talk to her. Her parting comment to me was 'if your not happy you know where trip advisor is'. I never actually make the time to write these reviews, however on such a poor experience I felt I have no choice. My mind was made up after reading many of the other reviews that also sight the front of house as rude, abrupt, dismissive, etc etc...

The place promised so much but the owners clearly have no clue about customer service or cooking, I would never return and would advise anyone wanted well cooked food and a warm welcome to stay clear.

5  Thank Viv2012_12
Reviewed 18 December 2013

This is one of our favourite restaurants. The quality of the food is always absolutely first class, with selections that you find nowhere else. Every time we visit there are a range of intriguing dishes we would like to order. The wine list is excellent and the atmosphere relaxed & welcoming. We are spoilt with the range of more "well known" restaurants in the area however the Black Boys Inn is by far our favourite.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Haven't been here for a while, Saturday evening and the Black boys had a real buzz, great to see it so busy. Four of us dined, the food was outstanding. Mr Spink’s Pot ‘O’ Arbroath Smokies great starter and I had Veal Pudding a super alternative take on the Black Boys Steak and Kidney Pud.
Cheese board after was jut too much. Can recommend the house Sauvignon, the french Pinotage was just a tad too heavy

1  Thank RowingNick
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We went there for the first time yesterday and had a very enjoyable experience.
The atmosphere, menu and service were excellent and we will certainly go there again.
Not the cheapest but certainly great quality.

1  Thank Anne A