“Business meeting in the Atrium followed by lunch” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge
Ranked #2 of 2 Duxford B&B and Inns
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
“Business meeting in the Atrium followed by lunch”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

Not often I am inclined to come onto a website to write a review but this was my second visit to the Red Lion (not my choice this time I would have not been soo foolhardy after the first) for business and whilst not often a moaner, I was frankly appalled.

We hired the Atrium at £80 only to have people walk through our meeting and then leave the door open to the bar. We were charged for teas and coffees we never ordered or drank. The menu is very misleading and what I thought I had ordered turned out to be something very different. The food was unbelievably poor and very overpriced, someone else said motorway grub at gastro pub prices, that was spot on. I absolutely stand by my view and the service was also very poor and a struggle to understand staff. It amazes me that someone can spend so much on refurbishing a business and then fail so badly on the quality of delivery. I will not be returning.

Room Tip: Sorry I did not use a bedroom.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank James D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Bedfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

We have passed the Red Lion on route to Norfolk many times but never popped in so we thought we'd give it a go. After eventually finding the entrance we walked in and was pleasantly surprised at how nice the inside was, it has a very modern style but also has lovely wooden ceilings around the bar. We were greeted by a very helpful French barman who gave us a menu and showed us to a table which was a nice touch. The same French barman took our order; we ordered the club sandwiches and a pot of tea which were tasty, look great and there was plenty of it.
We would definitely stop at the Red Lion for a quick snack on our next trip

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda C
, General Manager at Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback and also for dropping by on your way to Norfolk.

This is a very welcomed review, I was very pleased you had a positive experience especially as you had never visited before. We share all reviews with the team and I know they will be delighted to read you had a great experience with us. This will give them encouragement moving forward.

If your dropping by again, please ask for me so we can meet in person.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

Booked online-asked for a cot as bringing my 1 yr old, no email back to confirm they had travel cot. Called up a few days before to check they had a travel cot-yes they did-great. Arrived to a busy pub as wedding taking place- I had my 1 year old in my arms asleep-during check in. Five members of staff saw this-no offer to help with bags. Arrived in room-no cot-called and asked for one, an hour and half later-still no cot. A lady eventually turned up (she couldnt apologise enough for the delay) however once I had put the cot up-one side was broken and smelt awful-didnt really want to put my one year old in it! They had no more cots as had already told me they had to get this from another hotel. Had dinner in hotel-again staff freindly enough. Went to bed around 9ish-with the music pumping downstairs from the wedding party. The music was so loud, the broken travel cot was shaking! Decided to call and find out when the music would stop-when you call reception you are actually calling the holiday inn-they tried to transfer me to Red lion bar-no answer- called again they said they would find out and call me back-I said I will call them as the phone ringing would be even more noise. Called them back 10.30-11ish-ok not so bad. 11ish music still pumping-called again 11.30ish- music is stopping at 12.30! You can be moved to holiday inn if you want? Im not going to be moving all my bags and a baby at 11.30 at night am I! In the end the music stopped at 12.45pm. A drunken guest then came in my room-my fault for not locking the door but most hotels the door automatically locks behind you. Complained to the manager-and he was very sympathetic-they should have noticed I had a baby and put my in the holiday inn from the start- I would have been happy with that!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
7 Thank askell007
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to supply us with your constructive feedback.

Check-in was certainly poor. Comment courtesy would tell anyone that a little help was needed. This has been discussed with the team. They need to show a bit more common sense in these situations.

Your cot requirements has been discussed with housekeeping. If we say we will do something then we must follow through. Housekeeping are now fully aware this sort of issue is simply not good enough. I personally checked all the cots and found no smell and also checked the sanitising records. All cots need to be cleaned thoroughly after use considering it is little kiddies using this equipment.

Weddings are a large part of our business however we know we have mixed company which we clearly stat we can cater for. It has now been suggested that when a wedding is taking place, only customers attending the wedding should book the bedrooms. As the red lion has a hotel next door (Holiday Inn Express) other guest can be housed here ensuring a restful night’s sleep without loud thumping music. I can only imagine this was very problematic with a young child.

The door locks are a different type of lock to other hotels. We would prefer a swipe card lock however the age and listed status ensured this wasn't possible however it would have been sensible for the hotel staff to let you know how this worked.

Please accept my sincere apologies but thank you for sharing your views on our hotel on trip advisor. Your experience has ensured changes have been made to our services. I am only sorry your experience had to happen before we actioned the errors.

Ross Ferguson

Travellers are raving about these Duxford hotels

Worcestershire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

I can't review the rooms because we never got past the booking fiasco but I can review the booking, breakfast and drinks there.

Summary if you don’t want to read on:
Manager and staff surly and obstructive.
Booking a fiasco, they gain bookings under the guise of The Red Lion but is a front to get more business for the Holiday Inn.
Breakfast, real ale & French waiter excellent.

Booking:

I e-mailed a reservation via the Red Lion website (info at Red Lion) and booked for 4/5 May 2012. We particularly wanted this accommodation because some of our friends had booked here also.

My husband had to chase for a reservation number and confirmation e-mail (we've been caught out before with "lost bookings") so of we went to check in after a 3 hour drive armed with our paperwork.

We entered the pub and the manager was tutting and rolling his eyes because he had to log out to allow the receptionist to log on. Then the receptionist said "no you're in Holiday Inn" "but we have paperwork and we contacted the Red Lion via the website on "Info Red Lion""
"No you're across the road at Holiday Inn. We get a lot of confusion because the lady who does the bookings does them for both places."

Sure enough we went over to Holiday Inn and I must say the staff there were very accommodating and pleasant. They admitted there were ongoing problems with people expecting to stay at the Red Lion and had brought it up in meetings and will do so again.

They offered us one free breakfast at the Red Lion which, yes was a gesture but we had paid full price expecting to be staying at the Red Lion and eating the breakfast anyway. If we wanted the second breakfast there, we would have to pay £5 each. This also meant we missed eating with our friends on the mornings.

Beer:

So had drinks in there on the Friday night. They did have a good selection of well kept, local real ales which were very nice but we were chased out on the dot by the Manager.

Breakfast:

Saturday morning we wandered over for our breakfast. The breakfast was excellent. Lovely plump sausages, black pudding , egg, bacon, beans, mushrooms lots of toast and selection of jams/spreads, you could tell it was quality food. Fresh orange juice, selection of teas, coffee and a charming French waiter who saw to everybody’s needs with good humour.

Booking:

Our friends started arriving and funnily enough half of them too had expected to stay at the Red Lion but were shoved into the over-flow of the Holiday Inn.

We booked for this in February on-line through the Red Lion Website but one of our friends rang the Red Lion in April, they said they were fully booked and suggested the Holiday Inn, he said he was persistent and they said they would book him in at the Red Lion. So we reckon he got our room by being persistent.

Late night bar:

The wedding party had a deal with a late night bar. On the Saturday when our friends arrived one of them overheard the Bar Manager saying to the barmaid "I might close at 11pm or I might close at 12pm, I'll decide later tonight" when we went over to the bar at 10:30, he said "no we're closing at 11pm." So he had decided to close it on a whim. Luckily the Holiday Inn were more accommodating and actually had a late bar as advertised.

Tea:

On the last day we went in to the Red Lion for a cup of tea after our walk. It is the worse and most expensive cup of tea we have ever had. £4.50 for a tiny tea-pot for 2 people (the bar menu stated £2.25 pot of tea for one) which would be cheaper at Betty’s. I think someone had put a scented tea bag in the pot and had not washed it out properly because it tasted of milky flowers. When I took it back the barmaid was surly and pointed to the teabags and said “look I got it from the pot that says English Breakfast Tea” as the individual tea bags were not labelled and just shoved in pots, I suggested a mix up and I asked if I could have a labelled tea that had been displayed at breakfast. “They’re the same bags” (lie) and she reluctantly threw the tea away and swapped for another bag and pot which confirmed my suspicions as the tea was ok this time but of course there was only enough for 1 cup each.

Summary:

If only the Red Lion had the staff attitude of the Holiday Inn and were honest with their booking system then there could be a significant improvement.

Room Tip: Get a written confirmation stating the Red Lion if you want a room here and not the Holiday Inn.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank artanabart2016
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

After spending the day at duxford air museum myself and my family decided to treat ourselves to an evening meal at The Red Lion, and what a treat it was.

The staff were extremely welcoming and the setting was warm and cosy, perfect after a day spent outside in cold weather. The menu had plenty of dishes and there were also a few specials, we were spoilt for choice.

All in all we had a great experience and will deffinitely be visiting again soon.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Dawn F
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

My wife and I was recommended by a local to sample the food at the red lion.

We had been there many years ago and decided to give it a try for old times sake.

On arrival, we were very pleasantly surprised to see such a face lift to what we remember.

The restaurant had been designed to perfection giving a relaxing atmosphere but a touch of intimacy but, at the same time privacy, as each table had a feel of seclution albiet in tasteful surroundings.

The food was brought to our table in a very modern and sophisticated way. Our steak which was cooked to perfection arrived on a wooden platter with the accompanying vegetables in small baskets.

Overall, we found the experience very pleasing and would certainly recommend it.

Regarding price, it is not cheap and chearful if that is your bag, but well worth the little extra to receive a touch of sophistication.

Well done to the team who looked after us.

See you soon.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Cambridgeduxford, General Manager at Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and welcome back after all these years.

It was a very pleasing review to read. We do try very hard to ensure all our customers leave happy.

The most important area of any review is to share the findings of our customers with the team. All types of feedback is positive, if customers are telling you there is issues then you have got to sort these and quick. With positive feedback it gives the team a welcomed boost but is also the catalyst for the team to strive for even better.

We all very much appreciate your comments and thank you for sharing these with us.

We hope you will return in the near future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

My wife and I was recommended by a local to sample the food at the red lion.

Well done to the team who looked after us.

See you soon.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank martin f
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duxford
Duxford Lodge
Hotel Felix
Hotel Felix
#8 of 36 in Cambridge
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,102 reviews

Been to Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge? Share your experiences!