“Just brilliant”
Review of Duxford Lodge

Duxford Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Duxford
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Wow. What a hidden gem, my wife and I were visiting the museum just round the corner so decided to book here after a google search bought up the hotel. Everything was just fantastic. The food, service and rooms were all way above what I expected and would deffinately stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Givitus
There are newer reviews for Duxford Lodge

Reviewed 4 February 2013

Stayed 2 nights early February . Stayed on B&B basis breakfast excellent easily as good as 5 star hotel waitress service with freshly cooked food also varied buffet available . A very quiet comfortable room the WI FI connection a real bonus !
Staff very helpful and friendly , will certainly be staying again .

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rog&Bez
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I stayed 2 nights for work in this hotel: nice welcome at the reception of the Duxford Lodge which is a quite pleasant hotel, tiny and quite pretty. This hotel is clean and quite well located,
My room was Ok (room 6), clean, confortable but there was a continous light noise during the night (couldn't find where it came from; like the noise of an air conditioning system despite it was not the case).
Breakfast was supposed to start at 7h15, however it didn't start before 7h30 and was quite long, which was a bit annoying when having to start a working day early. Service was however good.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank GOUPIL49
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Wonderful greeting on arrival on a wet & stormy night! Chose executive room which is at the top of the house without a lift. Very good size room and large bathroom but no shower. Excellent dinner and good value. Disappointing breakfast, poor quality marmalade & juices, cooked breakfast was ok.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 December 2012

This was our 2nd stay with friends at the Duxford Lodge - a 50th birthday treat for me in conjunction with a visit to the nearby Imperial War Museum. Our 1st stay was several years ago and I was pleased to see that their high standards had not slipped. The staff were very welcoming and attentive. They even arranged for us to check ourselves in, giving us the code for the door as we were arriving around midnight. The room was spotless, well furnished, with a very comfy bed and toasty warm. The water was always hot and the wifi worked perfectly ( I see a previous reviewer had a problem but there are 2 passwords - 1 for the hotel rooms and 1 for the outside lodges - maybe they used the wrong one?). The food in their Paradis Restaurant alone deserves 5 stars. The breakfast was huge and superb, the evening meal was also a delight - clean plates all round. A special thanks to the serving staff for decorating our table with streamers and glitter etc when they heard that it was my birthday - a very nice touch. This is an excellent hotel, perfectly placed for visiting the Duxford Air Museum and surrounding area.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Flash2Alpha
Reviewed 10 December 2012

A lovely old fashioned hotel. We had a fresh coffee in the lounge, with biscuits whilst we relaxed before getting ready to go out.We stayed 1 night as we were at a party at the local golf club. It was clean and pleasant and the breakfast in the morning was wonderful.

The only draw back was the bathroom, very outdated. My husband tried to have a shower, the water only came out at a trickle. Also it wasn't even over the bath, you had to sit in it and hold the shower head, which would have been disastrous if i'd had to wash my long hair! Also I couldn't get near the mirror to put my make up on and the lighting definitely wasn't bright enough.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jo6406
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I stayed there for two nights last week and although everything was spic and span then I was disappointed by the advertised free Wi-Fi which didn't connect to the internet.
To advertise free Wi-Fi means (to me) that you are going to be able to access the internet, otherwise there's not much point. It didn't work on the Friday night although I tried constantly, and then when I asked what was wrong on the Saturday morning then I was assured that although the connection from the room I was in was a bit dodgy then I could bring my laptop to the main area and it would work.
It didn't. Two wireless networks detected and although they both connected then still no internet access.
So the kind lady at reception offered the use of the main pc, which worked fine.
That evening (a wedding reception) then I tried again from my smartphone but STILL no internet access, although the other receptionist assured me that everyone else could access it.
But no. I asked at least 8 of the other guests whether they could access the internet and none of them could. They had all been fobbed off with the same " well everyone else can access it" excuse too.
This is just bad. If you have a problem offering this service then tell your guests that it isn't working and offer a tiny gesture in compensation such as an extra sausage with their Full English Breakfast. Or baked beans.

Which brings me to my second niggly and undoubtedly trivial complaint: A Full English Breakfast should include baked beans, there is no excuse for not having them. There's no worldwide shortage and they're cheap since you can buy a tin for 9p as far as I know.

Maybe they had tried and failed to order them over their Wi-Fi internet connection.

Lastly: The twin room I was staying in had about enough room for one or two suitcases, and since it was a twin room then you'd expect two people to be staying there and hence allow for the two suitcases and two pieces of hand baggage. This was like flying with Jet2 where you need to pay extra for a seat. It would have been easier to stand up if I could have slept in a vertical position.

The beds were fine, but would have been better if I could have got to them without having to clamber over my own luggage.

My sister wasn't too impressed by the hair dryer provided, describing it as "Victorian", which is a big word for her.

So all in all, then it was distinctly average.

Room Tip: Probably stay in the main body of the hotel rather than the "Garden rooms" Nearer to rece...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank WillRos
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duxford
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#1 of 36 in Cambridge
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge

Been to Duxford Lodge? Share your experiences!