“Small hotel that never really hits the mark”
Review of Duxford Lodge

Duxford Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Duxford
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Small hotel that never really hits the mark”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

The staff were pleasant and tried hard but still need to go the extra little bit further to ensure that guests feel special. Some additional training would be helpful. The room I stayed in was a good size and adequately furnished.The radio came on in the middle of the night and there was quite a bit of road noise during the night with the window open. The bathroom was fine except that there was no hot water in the morning for my shower.... Brrrr....Breakfast could have been of a higher quality. Dinner was nothing special but OK. All in all the hotel is a little tired and never really rises above the standard of a large guest house - a shame because it has the potential to rise above this standard.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Martin W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Reviewed 21 June 2013

in my opinion:
if the hotel room is not clean, maybe the staff is not do a good job.
if the hotel service is not good, maybe the management is not do a good job.
but if the hotel did cheat/ rob a customer, it is better the hotel close it's business!
here is the detail story.
Do direct booking to http://www.duxfordlodgehotel.co.uk.
in my online confirmation booking state:
adults=1, children=2, ages=3,3 (because the maximum number can choose is 3),
room type: executive double room with sofa bed for children up to 13
(my children age is 6 and 8), grand total 93.5 GBP include tax.
but when i check out, grand total is 93.5 + 25.
When I ask why there is additional charge of 23, the reception answer was for
sofa bed.
attached is my checkout invoice and direct online confirmation picture.
Since I do not want ruin my mood holiday with my young children and i have more then
enough education and manner to understand what is the meaning of online confirmation booking, i prefer not ask further why this and that.
I hope my experience will not be repeated to other people/ customer.
will i come back again to this hotel? NO.
will i recommend this hotel? NO.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank triple040
janetmary-9, Manager at Duxford Lodge, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
I was very sorry to read your comments.
The price of £93.50 is for single occupancy of the room you stayed in.
On our tariff page it states £25 for sofa bed/z bed/cot - these charges are made to cover cost of laundry etc.
The only time we accommodate children free of charge is children under 3 years old who share the bed with their parents or bring their own travel cot.
Ryde, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

As frequent travellers and bearing in mind it was an Airshow week-end and the hotel was busy we found this hotel warm, comfortable, clean and tidy, ample parking and well kept grounds. On arrival we were greeted at reception and were asked if we needed assistance to our room with our baggage. Two little bug bears; had to find someone for a drink at the bar and the food was a little slow but when it did arrive it was tasty, hot and very good. We stayed 2 nights and the same staff for breakfast and dinner on the second night looked jaded

Room Tip: Room 9 on the top floor was very comfortable, had everything you needed and was quiet
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2013

my husband and i stayed for one night in an executive room! expectation- was very different to what we got. The room was very old fashioned, dark and too much furniture in there which made it feel cluttered. the mattress was very soft and left us both with sore backs. the bathroom was carpeted and gruby and the decor very tred. on arrival we were left standing in reception for 10 minutes before anyone came. when staff did appear they were unsociable verging on unpleasant.
we ate in the resteraunt, waitress was very pleasant and the food was nice.
following morning the newspaper that was ordered waited for us in reception, and not delivered to the room. breakfast was good.
checking out- staff was same lady who had booked us in and again i found her particularly unpleasant, no smiles or exchanging pleasantries, just took my money without a word.
all in all we wont be going again

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sandi R
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I am a frequent traveller throughout the UK and at times Europe. This is my second visit to the Duxford Lodge Hotel. My client had previously told me about this establishment which they rated very highly but only recently were they successful in booking me in.
It is in a pleasant location with gardens surrounding it although only well groomed lawns were the order of the day when I visited (once with snow!).
Upon arrival I received a very friendly greeting and every thing was done to ensure I was aware of all the options available to me. The rooms are a little dated but must have been expensive to furnish, as the quality was very good, despite that the rooms suffered very little wear and tear. I noticed in another review the comment about the carpet in the bathroom and must agree, not a good idea. The rooms have the usual complementary Tea, Coffee and Hot Chocolate and a flat screen television.
The restaurant is again pleasantly furnished in half oak carved panelling in a Mackintosh type style, again very well kept. The food is freshly cooked and excellent with friendly attentive service. Upon arrival I was informed that dinner commenced at 7 pm however, preferring to eat about 6:30 the chef offered to start earlier, what more could you ask for?
This is a very pleasant, honest and traditional hotel where nothing is too much trouble, highly recommended.

Room Tip: I had rooms 5&6 during my two stays both good.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Cambridge
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Very nice and familiar hotel out of the ordinary. Situated not far from Cambridge in a small town with the countryside nearby. Small house with different types and sizes of rooms and a graden outside. Clean, very good service, kind personel and a faboulus restaraunt. Intermediate prce range vith a good value for money with respect to the hotel facilities. Can clearly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Pleasant location. Very friendly, helpful staff. Comfortable, very clean rooms rooms. Excellent food cooked to order, not buffet style. I will stay here whenever in the area. Free wi-fi which is advantage

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duxford
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge
The Cricketers' Arms
The Cricketers' Arms
#2 of 3 in Saffron Walden

Been to Duxford Lodge? Share your experiences!