“Smile”

Ranked #1 of 2 Duxford B&B and Inns
Duxford Cambridgeshire
“Smile”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I rarely review establishments that I consider to be my "locals" but the service I received on Tuesday, was superb. I wanted some me time after a difficult morning and did not want to travel, I am very aware that the JB serves extremely good food and decided not to go far and have a quiet lunch. On arrival, I was quickly shown to a table perfect for my needs even though they were busy with Christmas parties, and served courteously and quickly by the staff. I did not want alcohol or a soft drink and Adam did not bat an eye lid when I asked for a pot of hot water for the tea leaves I had brought my self. I had a main portion of Moules Marinier, again not a flinch that it is infact a starter dish, which were absolutely delicious and cooked to perfection even though they were so busy with other diners.

Not only the food that I ate but the sensitive and professional service I received that made me write this review. I felt well looked after but not overpowered and Nick, Adam and Dennis really made a bad day much better and I left with a smile.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Saffronflowers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Stayed here whilst visiting the Imperial War Museum. Accommodation was out in the stable block but very quiet being away from the main pub. Husband doesn't usually sleep well in a strange bed but he had a great night's sleep. Only quibble was that the shower seemed to overflow the edge of the bath and made the bathroom rather damp. Breakfast was served in the pub and was very good. Would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PaperStoneScissors
Canterbury
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Through laterooms.com I booked this hotel for one night. Confirmation came through and immediately an email from John to say he was full. Took me a couple of hours to find something else suitable but four and a half hours later another email from John to say 'Please ignore my previous email your booking is fine, I'm just going mad'. I emailed back to say too late, booked elsewhere. This was 10.30pm at night! Got to our B&B next evening, checked emails to find a forwarded email from John from the booking agents. Seems he had let them know that we had booked elsewhere and they responded to say to let us know we had to contact them to get a refund. When I finally managed to find a phone number to get someone he told me the booking was non refundable and that when I cancelled I should have contacted them immediately. I pointed out that I had not cancelled, John had by email. He had no record of this so I forwarded John's emails to him. He phoned John who authorised a full refund to be paid to us.
On reading some of the fine print, when John cancelled he should have found us something similar. Yes we had found something ourselves - did he really expect us to be hanging around after four and a half hours waiting in case he changed his mind. And why did he not tell the agent that it was he who had cancelled, not us. Very slippery we feel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I went here for dinner on a 3rd date and it was the perfect ambience for a romantic date. The atmosphere was buzzy without being overly busy, we had a lovely corner table with a candle, the service was friendly and attentive but not intrusive, and the food was delicious and reasonably priced. The pub is attractive and cosy and I would definitely go here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Loopsong
Norwich, Norfolk
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We frequently visit family in the Whittlesford/Duxford area and it's nice to stay somewhere different. We really loved this atmospheric pub, with the rooms overlooking the courtyard.
They were really cosy and tastefully decorated. We were in Room 3. It was very peaceful with a lovely comfy bed.
Four of us had dinner in the pub, which was delicious and the chef very kindly adapted the crayfish risotto for our vegan guest.The breakfast the following day was well worth waiting for.
John had cooked it all from scratch while we waited and it really was the best full english breakfast we have had...very tasty bacon and sausages and lovely fluffy scrambled egg. All the staff were really friendly and helpful and we wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Bristol
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed here for an anniversary celebration having never been to Cambridge or the area previously. Firstly the village and the setting of this delightful B&B was super. Adam the assistant manager could not have been more helpful and accommodating and always with a smile. The rooms at the back of the pub are quaint being named after pilot officers and the memorabilia on the walls about them made interesting reading as do the numerous plaques, pictures and paintings within the pub itself. The rooms are however quite small so don't turn up with lots of luggage as you may find you need to keep it in the boot of your car. The breakfast was top drawer, freshly cooked and piping hot along with fruit juice, cereals, toast, tea or coffee. We ate in the pub on both evenings and the food was excellent, the baked Camembert was delicious, the steak was tender and juicy, the salmon delightful and the crayfish risotto was to die for. All in all, great food, a lovely pub atmosphere together with friendly and helpful staff, what more do you want.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Our sentiments echo those of FITravellers; we loved the pub / restaurant, but were a little underwhelmed by our room - except for the shower. It was amazing. This was some of the best food we had during our stay int he UK, and service was friendly and the desk staff were very attentive, but the room (really the bed) keeps this from being an excellent review.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duxford
Duxford Lodge
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge
The Gonville Hotel
The Gonville Hotel
#2 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to The John Barleycorn? Share your experiences!