“Beautiful but needs some TLC...”

The John Barleycorn
Ranked #1 of 2 Duxford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

We were pleasantly surprised at how easy finding the place was, and parking was easy. We got shown to our room quickly and politely. The room was lovely and cosy, with en-suite. A couple of things were disappointing; the hospitality tray was seated in a bottom drawer, which makes it tricky for those with mobility issues and the bathroom had considerable mould that a good scrub could sort out, and a toilet with waste regurgitation so that could really use some attention as it wasn't the most pleasant thing to find.

The bar staff were lovely and friendly and I'm guessing the 4* rating is based largely around the food. The menu is very high end, not suited to those who prefer basic food and heavily meat and fish based.

The full English breakfast was gorgeous, highly recommended.

All in, we would definitely return but it would be nice to see that a higher state of cleanliness had been employed.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Bekah B
There are newer reviews for The John Barleycorn

Reviewed 25 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at The John Barleycorn last night after a busy day at Duxford War Museum. It is a very pretty thatched pub in a quiet location only a few miles from the airbase. Their bedrooms consist of 4 'motel' style rooms behind the main building. This was great for us because we didn't have to lug our bags through the pub, just parked the car and opened the room door. After a day immersed in WW2 it was lovely to see the memorabilia that they have at the pub which was obviously a popular hang out for the airmen during the war. We had dinner there and for a Thursday night they were completely booked (and turning folks away who called on spec). The food was much better than I expect in a pub - imaginative and cooked with flair. My starter of seared scallops and pancetta in pea puree was completely delicious. As mentioned by others, the rooms are quite small but adequately furnished. The linen was clean and crisp and the bath towels white and fluffy. Breakfast was excellent and cooked to order and all of the staff were cheerful and efficient. All in all a pleasant experience and very good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sheila J
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I title my review 'Lets get this right' for a reason. I've read many reviews here ( I based by own stay on them) but I feel we have to get things 'right'. This is a lovely village pub B&B, look at the pictures before you book, what you see is correct. For those who have pointed out 'faults' in the room, ie, not perfect baths ( I stayed in room 3 and yes, there was a repair to the bath that I noticed on the second day of staying),or 'small' room but for goodness sake, this is a pub B&B, not the London HIlton. The rooms are fine, nice size, good bathroom and clean.I simpily cannot fault the room, pub nor standard of service and believe me, I look for faults. I did have a gripe on my second night of staying but because the staff listened to me, I will not put people off who may read this by going into detail. I suspect my small complaint will be acted on.
All in all, the room, food, service, friendliness and value for money are perfect.
To put it into context, I was looking at pub B&B's in Southwold, Suffolk prior to booking here. Southwold is very nice but rooms are DOUBLE the price of the JBC. Ok, Southwold is not quite so handy for the IWM but would I have got double the standard of room , food and service?
I very much doubt it!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank geoff a
Reviewed 28 March 2014

This is a motel type room in converted stables accessed from the car park not from inside the pub. Service was excellent as was the evening meal and breakfast, although filter coffee instead of instant coffee and some fruit would have been nice.

The room was nicely decorated but dark and very small – there was only about 8 inches between the bed and wardrobe. Linen and towels were good quality. However, then it goes wrong. All the important bits were very clean but there was a lot of dust on the back of the top of the bedside tables and dressing table. One of the main lights wasn’t working and a lampshade was broken. We found the bed overly springy so that every time one of us moved, the other was bounced around too. For some bizarre reason, the pictures had only been partially screwed to the wall and the screws were sticking out they also had cobwebs on them.

The bathroom is in definite need of a re-fit. There was some black mould on the grouting, the toilet seat didn’t fit and moved (loudly) each time it was used. The toilet roll holder was very loose on the wall and the gilt taps and fittings were tarnished. The bath had been cracked and repaired and painted in places and it took over 30 minutes to half fill it.

This is a nice quirky hotel and pub but it definitely needs some TLC now if it’s to maintain the quality of ratings that they have had in the past. Would we stay again? Sadly, no. Did we complain at the time? No – we were only there for one night and all the points above could have been easily identified by the owners if they carried out a routine quality check.

The location was ideal for the Duxford Imperial War Museum.

Our overall rating is because of the sleep quality and cleanliness and updates needed.

Room Tip: Ask to inspect the room before accepting it.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SomersetJohnSomerset
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed at this beautiful country pub for two nights to escape from the rat race. We'd eaten here in the past and been sucked in by its superb location, relaxed atmosphere and excellent food.
From the moment we arrived nothing was too much trouble for the staff and Dennis was especially welcoming making us feel relaxed. The rooms are great for a short stay and the food fantastic, even the bread used for breakfast toast was top drawer.
We used the pub as a base to explore the IWM at Duxford and surrounding area. The use of WW2 pilots as names for the rooms is a nice touch.

Thanks for a memorable stay that won't be forgotten..

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank LesBriley
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This was our first stop on an 11 night road trip around England with my mum who was visiting from Australia. We booked this hotel a mere hour or two prior to check -in and I have to say what a lovely surprise we got when we arrived. My mum was after 'traditional' English pubs with open fire, low ceilings and cosy surrounds and that is exactly what we got. The welcome by the Manager, Nick, was lovely, inviting us to unwind from our long drive with a drink by the fire. He entertained Mum with stories of the hotel and a bit of the local history, which added an extra special element to our stay. The rest of the staff were friendly and very accommodating. The food from the kitchen was amazing (especially the plum pudding ice cream!). The room itself (twin) was lovely and carried the aviation/RAAF theme through from the main hotel area, with each of the rooms being named after one of the local pilots, Whilst not huge, the room was certainly spacious enough for the two of us for the night. The only odd thing was that the shower in the bathroom was not enclosed, which meant all of the water went all over the walls, floor, basin, toilet seat, etc, making it interesting for the two of us to finish getting ready in the morning with dry feet!
Breakfast in the morning was brilliant...yummy, hot and plenty of it.The staff who ran the breakfast service were again very friendly and efficient. The lady who cooked the breakfasts was just delightful.
A definite little gem discovered off the beaten track and a great way to start our road trip of the UK..

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We took advantage of the 3 nights for 2 weekend offer which made this a good value stay. Our room was comfortable, clean and warm, if compact The cooked breakfast was good in both quality and quantity. Staff friendly, helpful and professional. A small irritation was taking 20 minutes to run a bath, but overall we were happy with our stay here.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank baham c
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duxford
Duxford Lodge
The Cricketers' Arms
The Cricketers' Arms
#1 of 3 in Saffron Walden
Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge

Been to The John Barleycorn? Share your experiences!