“Fantastic Day Out”

IWM Duxford
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Duxford
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: IWM Duxford tells the story of the impact of aviation on the nature of war and on people's lives. Set within Britain's best-preserved Second World War fighter station, seven impressive hangars filled with extraordinary collections and state-of-the-art exhibitions take you on an unforgettable journey through times of war and peace.
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Have visited this museum many times over the years and still enjoy it as much now as I did the first time . Full of atmosphere and history it is a great day out for all the family , and well worth the entrance fee . There is so much to see and do it is hard to take it all in on just one visit .
Also , try one of the Duxford airshow's and you will not be disappointed . The whole site really is living history and an absolute joy to behold !

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I visited IWM Duxford with a friend, on Sunday 25th May for the D-Day Anniversary Air Show, and our day was amazing!

We arrived at 11am so we had a few hours to spare before the Air Show started. During those three hours we purchased a Boarding Pass for £2.50, this entitled us to board 10 Aircrafts including Concorde.

The volunteers at IWM were extremely friendly, helpful and enthusiastic. Always happy to share information about the aircraft history. On boarding Concorde, the volunteer enthusiastically greeted us with "Welcome to Concorde" - these are the words I've waited to hear for most of my life!

There is a lot to see and do at IWM, so there was plenty we didn't get to see before the airshow started.

The highlights of the airshow for me was the Typhoon and Parachute Regiment display.

The visitor facilities were good e.g. a cafe and clean toilets. There were also several food and drink stands to cater for the large number of visitors.

So all in all, a great day out, great value for money, plenty to see and do, and we look forward to our next visit!

1  Thank Sienna293
Reviewed 30 May 2014

If you or anyone you are with is an aircraft or WWII enthusiast, this is the place. We were there for 7 hours and didn't get to see all of it. While watching the aircraft take off outside, a little boy behind us said "Mom, this is the best day ever!". I think my husband was feeling the same. I (not an aircraft enthusiast) enjoyed an excellent exhibits on the history of Duxford and the people who served there and the Battle of Britain. ADVICE for walkers: We arrived by train at Whittlesford Parkway station and asked for directions to walk (2 miles from station). Long story short, we didn't realize it until after we walked along the motorway for some of the way, but there is a pedestrian/bike path beginning at the Whittlesford Parkway Train station. At the station, take Station Road West and continue as it changes to Royston. This is through a residential neighborhood. It will come out along the busy road but there is a bike/pedestrian path that is marked as such. Follow on in that direction. The Museum will be on your left (you can't miss it!). Warning: be careful crossing through the roundabout. The traffic is fast and coming from 2 directions.

1  Thank LisaCV59
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Duxford war museum is by far the best aviation museum I have visited. Great facilities and beautifully restored aircraft.

1  Thank johno7007
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I bought a voucher for a flying lesson for my partner for his birthday and they fly at Duxford, we visited on Monday Bank holiday, really loved this place and spent the whole day here. It was very interesting to see all the planes and other military things. If you are in a bother of what to do with the kids, take them here. I would however recommend you take a packed lunch as I found the restaurants/cafe expensive and if you have a family of 4 it could add up. Bring comfy walking shoes and your camara. My partner enjoyed his Tyger Moth flight and the nice thing is that you can even book a flight on the day (weather permitted).

1  Thank Vebs32