“My stay at The Greenhead Country House Hotel”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Crook
The Greenhead Country House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crook
Limassol, Cyprus
“My stay at The Greenhead Country House Hotel”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I recently stayed at The Greenhead Country House Hotel near Crook in County Durham. The hotel is run by Ann and Paul who are a lovely friendly couple who made me feel extremely welcome. The hotel itself is quintessentially traditionally English and it was a nice to stay somewhere with a homely feel rather than a hotel chain with no personal touch. Ann and Paul cook a great 'Full English' breakfast and they also offer a plethora of cereals for the more health conscious guest. The rooms have TV and WiFi access, and are warm and homely. The area is quiet and peaceful, but still within walking distance of a couple of pubs/restaurants. I had a great stay and I would recommend the Greenhead Country House to anyone who is visiting the area on business or courses. Regards, Jonathan

Room Tip: Access to some rooms is via a winding metal staircase so perhaps a ground floor room may be required...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Jon O

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2011

We picked the Greenhead Hotel out of the blue when the need arose to stay overnight in the Vicinity of Crokk.

If we had searched for a week I do not think we could have found any place nicer, more comfortable, well appointed and so quiet. The owners have renovated a truly beautiful property in excellent taste and in perfect harmony with it's history

The breakfast desreves a paragraph on it's own, perfectly cooked and served locally sourced ingredients, even what was denoted a "small" serving was enough to keep us going all day!

A perfect place to hideaway and visit the local attractions at your leisure

Room Tip: The twin bedded room on the ground floor has a huge picture window overlooking the cottage garden.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank stafford592
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2011

Very elegant and comfortable house, friendly welcome, and wonderful breakfast. Garden was so peaceful to sit and relax.

Room Tip: Great service from owners
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank CharlieFR
Columbia, Illinois
Reviewed 18 May 2011

We spent a couple of nights here whilst visiting my sister who lives in Crook
Very welcoming host, beautiful accommodation, and great location
We visited Lindisfarne, Durham Cathedral and other local historic locations
but only scratched the surface of what is available
The only minor drawback was they didn't have internet available
but We will certainly be back
Highly recommended

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pageeddie
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 September 2010

I booked this place as we were visiting relatives near by. It is easy to find and has good parking. It's also is a building with history and character. There are 2 pubs about a 10 minute walk. The Fir Tree Hotel served good food.
When we were there in September they were not serving dinner instead recommended the pubs. The breakfast was grilled..excellent...... egg, tomatoe, sausage, bacon, fried bread and toast. There also was a selection of fresh fruit , juice, tea, coffee and cereals. They also have a small pub on site with different beers. My husband enjoyed this benefit and really like the place.
We had 2 rooms with ensuites.
I didn't like that the pillow covers were the ones matching the bed spreads and I would have rather had a pillow slip. Also we were there 2 nights and none of the beds were made up.
I would rate it was 3 star. There is not a lot around Crook and I would say that this is one of the better places. The host is very pleasant and accomodating. I would go back.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank traveller666
Southwold
Reviewed 30 August 2010

This hotel is more pub /resturant with B&B rather than formal hotel and does have a hostel attached should you prefer. Having been doing the Pennine way we were booked in for the night as this was en-route. Well myself and my friends thought we had struck gold !

We arrived late afternoon to find a good selection of beers to help us chat over the days antics and recover from a wet days walking. Then we were shown to our rooms which were very comfortable with flat screen TV etc, by the looks of things they have just been refurbished as they were very fresh on their decor.

Wandered down to dinner where I had the minted Lamb shoulder.....well this was cooked to perfection and was very reasonably priced at £12.95. The main problem was that the portions were so big not room was left for desert which also looked rather good.

At breakfast we were presented with another generous plateful of food (beans, egg, sausage, hash brown, bacon, mushrooms and tomato and once again this was of a high quality and was just what was needed prior to a days walking.

The people who run the inn/hotel are very accommodating and easy to chat to and are just right for this sort of establishment. Will defiantly be returning for a family trip away, just wish it was closer to home to allow us to pop in more often.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank lookingforanicemeal
Herts
Reviewed 8 June 2006

Last week, my husband and I 'did' Hadrians' Wall, walking from Newcastle to Bowness in Solway. We arrived late on in the day to Greenhead, exhausted having walked well over 20 miles. It was a beautiful day and we were that kind of 'very tired but very happy stage'. We were ravenous too - walking doesn't half make you hungry. We caught sight of the Greenhead Hotel from a good few yards away and staggered in. It was like finding an oasis in the desert.

We were offered to eat in the dining room but didn't want to put the other fine diners off their food - we were a bit dishevelled looking - but that didn't seem to phase the owner one little bit and we were made to feel so welcome. In the end we ordered from the bar meals the food was superb. Masses of it and all piping hot. AND the piece de la cream - the fishcakes were the finest I have ever tasted in the world. I can still taste them in my mind and it won't be outwith the realms of possibility that I would travel to Greenhead again for that sole experience. I really would.

To top off an already staggeringly wonderful visit, on asking the owner if there was anywhere we could have breakfast in the morning nearby, he suggested we come back to the hotel. So we did. And breakfast was just as good as the dinner. In fact it was so good we had to force ourselves out of the lounge and back on the walk.

We cannot praise this hotel highly enough. The new owner and his wife were truly remarkable hosts and so friendly and welcoming that they will make a resounding success of this their new business. They certainly deserve it and I hope you take the time to stop off. Especially for the fishcakes.

6 Thank MrsCTucker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crook
The Brown Horse Hotel
The Quarry Burn Guest House & Restaurant
The Crook Hotel
The Crook Hotel
#4 of 5 in Crook

Been to The Greenhead Country House? Share your experiences!