See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 October 2011

We picked the Greenhead Hotel out of the blue when the need arose to stay overnight in the Vicinity of Crokk.

If we had searched for a week I do not think we could have found any place nicer, more comfortable, well appointed and so quiet. The owners have renovated a truly beautiful property in excellent taste and in perfect harmony with it's history

The breakfast desreves a paragraph on it's own, perfectly cooked and served locally sourced ingredients, even what was denoted a "small" serving was enough to keep us going all day!

A perfect place to hideaway and visit the local attractions at your leisure

Room tip: The twin bedded room on the ground floor has a huge picture window overlooking the cottage garden.
Date of stay: October 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
6  Thank stafford592
Reviewed 24 June 2011

Very elegant and comfortable house, friendly welcome, and wonderful breakfast. Garden was so peaceful to sit and relax.

Room tip: Great service from owners
Date of stay: June 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank CharlieFR
Reviewed 18 May 2011

We spent a couple of nights here whilst visiting my sister who lives in Crook
Very welcoming host, beautiful accommodation, and great location
We visited Lindisfarne, Durham Cathedral and other local historic locations
but only scratched the surface of what is available
The only minor drawback was they didn't have internet available
but We will certainly be back
Highly recommended

Date of stay: May 2011
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank pageeddie
Reviewed 28 September 2010

I booked this place as we were visiting relatives near by. It is easy to find and has good parking. It's also is a building with history and character. There are 2 pubs about a 10 minute walk. The Fir Tree Hotel served good food.
When we were there in September they were not serving dinner instead recommended the pubs. The breakfast was grilled..excellent...... egg, tomatoe, sausage, bacon, fried bread and toast. There also was a selection of fresh fruit , juice, tea, coffee and cereals. They also have a small pub on site with different beers. My husband enjoyed this benefit and really like the place.
We had 2 rooms with ensuites.
I didn't like that the pillow covers were the ones matching the bed spreads and I would have rather had a pillow slip. Also we were there 2 nights and none of the beds were made up.
I would rate it was 3 star. There is not a lot around Crook and I would say that this is one of the better places. The host is very pleasant and accomodating. I would go back.

Date of stay: September 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank traveller666
Reviewed 30 August 2010

This hotel is more pub /resturant with B&B rather than formal hotel and does have a hostel attached should you prefer. Having been doing the Pennine way we were booked in for the night as this was en-route. Well myself and my friends thought we had struck gold !

We arrived late afternoon to find a good selection of beers to help us chat over the days antics and recover from a wet days walking. Then we were shown to our rooms which were very comfortable with flat screen TV etc, by the looks of things they have just been refurbished as they were very fresh on their decor.

Wandered down to dinner where I had the minted Lamb shoulder.....well this was cooked to perfection and was very reasonably priced at £12.95. The main problem was that the portions were so big not room was left for desert which also looked rather good.

At breakfast we were presented with another generous plateful of food (beans, egg, sausage, hash brown, bacon, mushrooms and tomato and once again this was of a high quality and was just what was needed prior to a days walking.

The people who run the inn/hotel are very accommodating and easy to chat to and are just right for this sort of establishment. Will defiantly be returning for a family trip away, just wish it was closer to home to allow us to pop in more often.

Date of stay: August 2010