The Greenhead Country House
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Crook
See available hotels
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
View Hotel
The Manor House Hotel(West Auckland)
  • Pool
Grove Farm(Darlington)
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 August 2010

This hotel is more pub /resturant with B&B rather than formal hotel and does have a hostel attached should you prefer. Having been doing the Pennine way we were booked in for the night as this was en-route. Well myself and my friends thought we had struck gold !

We arrived late afternoon to find a good selection of beers to help us chat over the days antics and recover from a wet days walking. Then we were shown to our rooms which were very comfortable with flat screen TV etc, by the looks of things they have just been refurbished as they were very fresh on their decor.

Wandered down to dinner where I had the minted Lamb shoulder.....well this was cooked to perfection and was very reasonably priced at £12.95. The main problem was that the portions were so big not room was left for desert which also looked rather good.

At breakfast we were presented with another generous plateful of food (beans, egg, sausage, hash brown, bacon, mushrooms and tomato and once again this was of a high quality and was just what was needed prior to a days walking.

The people who run the inn/hotel are very accommodating and easy to chat to and are just right for this sort of establishment. Will defiantly be returning for a family trip away, just wish it was closer to home to allow us to pop in more often.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank lookingforanicemeal
Reviewed 8 June 2006

Last week, my husband and I 'did' Hadrians' Wall, walking from Newcastle to Bowness in Solway. We arrived late on in the day to Greenhead, exhausted having walked well over 20 miles. It was a beautiful day and we were that kind of 'very tired but very happy stage'. We were ravenous too - walking doesn't half make you hungry. We caught sight of the Greenhead Hotel from a good few yards away and staggered in. It was like finding an oasis in the desert.

We were offered to eat in the dining room but didn't want to put the other fine diners off their food - we were a bit dishevelled looking - but that didn't seem to phase the owner one little bit and we were made to feel so welcome. In the end we ordered from the bar meals the food was superb. Masses of it and all piping hot. AND the piece de la cream - the fishcakes were the finest I have ever tasted in the world. I can still taste them in my mind and it won't be outwith the realms of possibility that I would travel to Greenhead again for that sole experience. I really would.

To top off an already staggeringly wonderful visit, on asking the owner if there was anywhere we could have breakfast in the morning nearby, he suggested we come back to the hotel. So we did. And breakfast was just as good as the dinner. In fact it was so good we had to force ourselves out of the lounge and back on the walk.

We cannot praise this hotel highly enough. The new owner and his wife were truly remarkable hosts and so friendly and welcoming that they will make a resounding success of this their new business. They certainly deserve it and I hope you take the time to stop off. Especially for the fishcakes.

6  Thank MrsCTucker