“Return visit”
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Wood burning stove - ahhhh
It's the Kitchen
Living room from the bookcase
Living room from behind the television
Main Bedroom - my favourite anyway
Bedroom 2 - it's twins....beds
Chapel Stile - cows eye view
Chapel Stile - sheeps eye view
The Chapel of Chapel Stile fame
Chapel Stile - birds eye view
The Cottage from the middle of the road
Wood burning stove - not quite sure why I have 2 photos of the stove but it's better than none!
Floor Plan
The Games Room with brand new Pool table - just in case it rains!
Village shop - 50 yards away
Village shop welcomes novices!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Fiona T
Billericay, United Kingdom
“Return visit”
Reviewed 10 June 2017 for a stay in May 2017

We stayed here in Oct 2016 , and were so impressed we rebooked for a week this time with my son and his wife , and my daughter and a friend . Even more impressed this time ! It was lovely to see our previous comments had been listened to , and there was this time plenty of room to put food away in the kitchen . The concern I had previously with the bathroom facilities for 6 adults , proved to be unfounded . We managed to be up and out each morning with no issue . We catered a lot for ourselves in the cottage on this trip and all the utensils and cookware we could possibly need was available . The beds were all very comfy and after miles of walking each day we were only woken by either the sheep or our alarms . Many of our days were taken walking out ffom the front door - invaluable in a busy half term week when the car parks are full , and towns full of traffic jams . Thankyou once again Warren for your personal service and all the extra bits which make this home so special . We will be back .

11 Jun 2017
Fiona, many thanks for returning to The Old Postmasters Cottage and many thanks for leaving a kind review. I'm still working on the extra shower/wc room - my last plumber went awol but I've found another plumber/electrician who has give me good service on smaller jobs so I'm optimistic we can get that second bathroom. Hopefully, it will be in place for when you return! Thanks again, Warren
Lesley M
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Home from home”
Reviewed 20 April 2017 for a stay in April 2017

A lovely cottage set in the village of Chapel Stile between Ambleside and the Langdales. The location was perfect for big ups and little strolls from the house - which meant not having to use the car for quite a few days. We also re visited our family favourites but it was always a delight to return 'home' and to relax at the house which is so comfortable. The games room also kept two children (and adults) occupied with and Easter Egg trophy challenge ! and Warren's helpful advice prior to our visit meant not having to waste time finding our way around.
Thank you again of providing such a welcoming and homely cottage - we will be back :]

21 Apr 2017
Hi Lesley - thanks for the review. I think you were lucky to get that cracking weekend of good weather which always helps to enjoy the Langdales. And nice to hear you felt you had a homely base to come back to after a day of adventures. I love it when I hear people have had a great time staying at my cottage ...... it only comes a close to second to the rare chances I get to stay there! Thanks again and I hope to see you back one day. Warren
Nboa
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic views, comfortable and spacious accommodation”
Reviewed 25 March 2017 for a stay in March 2017

Lovely, spacious cottage in a fantastic location in our favourite area of the Lake District.
Many walks from the door and 2 pubs a short stroll away. Well stocked village shop across the road.

As there was only 4 of us, we had plenty of room to spread out and store our muddy boots and wet coats. Yes, it rained the whole time we were there!! The wood burner came in very handy and made the lounge very cosy indeed. We also really appreciated being able to bring our pet Labrador, Harry, along too. He loved the wood burner!!

My only request would be for Warren to get some better glasses. A matching set of wine glasses and some champagne flutes would be nice!!

All in all, I can thoroughly recommend this lovely cottage and we will definitely be back again soon.

28 Mar 2017
Many thanks for the review. I'm really pleased you and Harry enjoyed the cottage. It's a pity that you had some damp weather - but I guess that's part of the gamble with the Lake District.

Not too long ago, there was a matching set ( I think 6 or 8) wine glasses together with the old odds and sods which I couldn't bring myself to throw out. But, it sounds that we've had some breakages which unfortunately we haven't spotted. I'll get another set to bring us back up to stock.

As for champagne flutes, I can't see them lasting very long! But, for a special occasion I can see why they would be a great, so maybe I'll get some and put them in a higher cupboard so people only go for them when there is a champagne occasion.

Thanks for the feedback and hope to see you back soon.

Warren
Nathalie...
Derby, United Kingdom
“Perfect pet friendly cottage”
Reviewed 5 January 2017 for a stay in December 2016

We stayed for Christmas 2016 and it was fantastic week, fabulous location, well stocked shop and a dog friendly pub only 250m way, tonnes of walks straight from the cottage so no need to drive anywhere but still in the heart of The Lakes not far to drive if you wanted to. Cottage had everything you could possibly need and with four adults, 2 teenagers and a child there was plenty of room for everyone (even with the Christmas tree up!). Bedrooms were great, cottage was warm all the time and plenty of games to keep us entertained. Warren has been wonderful and we would definitely recommend to anyone wanting to stay.

6 Jan 2017
Many thanks for your review Nathalie and so pleased you enjoyed your Christmas stay at the cottage. It's always nice to get feedback on the location as well as the cottage as other guests have also said that they could easily leave their car parked up for their time there if they wish and still find plenty of walks to go on whilst at the same time there are plenty of other areas of the Lakes to explore within a short drive. Thanks again Warren.
CED_11
Chorley, United Kingdom
“Lovely, cosy and tranquil cottage”
Reviewed 16 November 2016 for a stay in November 2016

We stayed here at the beginning of November for my Mums' 70th Birthday. The cottage was just as described and was a great base for a weekend away. The kitchen was fully stocked and there was nothing we were short of. The cottage was lovely and warm and the log burner was a great asset on a cool Autumn night. The Wainwright Pub across the road was great even though a little busy, especially on bonfire night. We took a lovely walk to Grasmere which was helped by the variety of maps that are in the cottage. Only negatives have been said before about another bathroom but that was not too much of a problem for us.
I would recommend the Old Postmasters to families and friends and hope to visit again.

Liked best: Log Burner, kitchen well stocked
Liked least: soft bed, but that is my issue.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
17 Nov 2016
Many thanks for the kind review and thank you for choosing my cottage for such a special weekend. Plans are still afoot for a basement loo/shower room but I think my plumber masquerades as the scarlet pimpernel as a final price and design is proving very difficult to nail down. Hopefully, we'll have it all in by the time you hopefully return for you Mum's 71st birthday! Warren
Fiona T
Billericay, United Kingdom
“Home from home”
Reviewed 23 October 2016 for a stay in October 2016

This cottage is all as it is advertised and more . Warren the owner has really tried to think of everything to make your holiday in this beautiful part of the world hastle free . The kitchen is well equipped with washing machine & dish washer included , only negative comment was there was no empty cupboard to put food away - but there was plenty of surface space . In the lower ground floor there is a well equipped games room with TV and computer games , a cupboard full of board games etc . Brilliant for families and rainy days . The quilts were really comfy and we slept well every night . The only downside ( though not for us as a couple ) , is there is only one bathroom ( with bath , shower and WC ) , and a separate toilet - but all on the top floor . This could prove a problem for a full house especially in getting everyone out in the morning , and fir those in rooms on the lower ground . The living room has a lovely log burning stove - not that we needed it as the storage heaters kept the house warm . There is an array of maps and walking books provided and Warren was happy to suggest places to eat , visit etc . The cottage is in a lovely village , with lots of walks from the front door and 2 pleasant pubs within walking distance . Would definitely use this again .

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The location and the attention to detail and help offered by Warren
Liked least: The towels were quite thin ( that really was all I coukd think of )
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
24 Oct 2016
Fiona, thanks for the review and your comments all noted.

I did have to take one wall cupboard out when I bought the new tall fridge freezer - ironically that was after some guests had rightly pointed out the cottage could do with a bigger one. Anybody reading this can see the old arrangement on the photo on the webpage. That removed cupboard was the main 'food' cupboard. The one next to it has a little space but I accept it's probably not enough. And all the others I have filled with crockery, pots, pans, cookware and various other handy stuff. I will re-arrange the cupboards to try and get one completely empty one for food.

The second bathroom planning has been ongoing for some while and I now have a plumber who is confident he can get a water supply & drainage connection to it. He just needs to liaise with an electrician to confirm the ventilation arrangement - a bathroom without ventilation is not a pleasant place to be!! I'll give him a chase and see when we can get it all installed. Many thanks for staying at the cottage and I hope you will return again one day. W
Sallysatn...
Eastbourne
“A home from home”
Reviewed 20 September 2016 for a stay in September 2016

We loved staying in the Old Post Office. It is perfectly situated in the lovely village of Chapel Stile. This is a tardis of a house. Spacious and well presented. It has a lovely homely feel and we were very happy with our stay. The village stores are next door and the Wainwright Pub served amazing food and had a great atmosphere. We really didn't want to leave.

Liked best: Location
Liked least: The mattress in the double room upstairs - really needs replacing as very uncomfortable
Travelling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
21 Sep 2016
Many thanks for the kind review. My place hasn't been called a tardis before, but I get where you're coming from! Ha - just wait until I put in an attic bedroom! Good to hear Wainwrights is still up to scratch - I'm looking forward to the off season so I can pop up there myself. Cheers W
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing