“Had to leave food took so long”

The Royal Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Dockray
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

I arrived here at around 2.20 on a Tuesday afternoon and ordered two cheese sandwiches. I had to leave at 3pm to attend a prior engagement but I thought 40 minutes would be more than enough time to have a sandwich. Anyway, I started to worry after a customer complained at the bar that she had "been waiting ages for some sandwiches". This place was dreadfully understaffed with only one person taking orders, pulling pints, serving food and clearing away. I frankly felt quite sorry for her as she was rushed off her feet and had to apologize numerous times for something that wasn't her fault. This is a management issue where they obviously need to hire more bar and kitchen staff. After 40minutes I explained that I had to leave and I got a refund no problem but only a half hearted apology. Do not come here If you want a quick pub snack because I imagine if we had stayed we would have had to wait over an hour for a cold sandwich which is rediculous. Management - sort it out !

Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

Love this place. Beer garden is as welcoming whether after a walk past Aira Force or dropping in by car. Good range of local hand-pulled beers, simple sandwiches at the local going rate (£5-£6 a head) and chips you could build a small house with.

1  Thank kickingcatfish
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Visited for a meal and drinks only.
Food served was reasonable but not great value for money. Venison steak was OK.
Meagre portions on the vegetables. Cheeseboard had been out sweating (it was a warm day) but this is preferable for me personally over cheese straight out of the fridge.
Beer good.
Evening somewhat tarnished by a very public argument between the landlord and a patron who had flooded the room and was not accepting responsibility. This argument was very controlled but should have taken place out of the hearing of other customers. One of the bar staff was patronising using the words Sir and Madam to cover for a rather begrudging service.

Would I rush back? No not at all, they are missing a trick somewhere.

1  Thank PunchyEngland
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Food was at best adequate and the prices were above average. When I went to pay I was told the total but not offered the itemised receipt (unusual). It seemed steep but being English I didn't argue thinking I'd be given the receipt with the credit card slip. Paid but was still offered no receipt. I overcame my Englishness and complained; the itemised bill was finally found and the extra £9 of drinks that had been added were removed. I can only conclude it was done deliberately.

1  Thank Merlo8550
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Excellent reception, even though we arrived in full waterproofs in the pouring rain. Food delicious (and in giant portions)

1  Thank Tim F