“Would be better with more staff”

The Royal Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Dockray
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights the room was nice and comfy but had problems with the shower had to fiddle about with it as it went from hot to cold, the food there was ok but not the best I had the steak with cheese board the first it took over a hour to get the food and when I asked what cheese was on the cheese board the barman did not have a clue and said it had cheese with spots in it I also asked for a napkin and he did not know what that was, breakfast was a much nicer experience I had a full English breakfast it was really nice the waitress was really polite and friendly.

1  Thank scott s

Reviewed 16 May 2014

We ate there 2 out of 3 evenings and enjoyed it. Large portions for the hungry guest ! A good atmosphere

Reviewed 10 April 2014

We visited here for an evening meal as the place looked nice and menu was varied. Firstly, the place appeared to be staffed by just one, pleasant, but overworked Polish barman. After overcoming the language barrier and reverting to the point method we managed to order 2 spring vegetable soups to start, followed by a glazed pork chop, mash and veg and a spring time pasta.
After waiting 25 minutes, the soup arrived doing a very good impression of pea soup, (I suppose it does fall into the veg category) it was tasty soup however, so no real problems.
Unfortunately, we then waited another 25 minutes for the poor chap to arrive with a main course of pork chop and a sausage pie!! Clearly not the right order, so back to the kitchen it went.
Another 20 minutes went by and the correct meals arrived, however, it was obvious that the chop, mash and veg had been placed in the warmer whilst the pasta dish was quickly rustled up.
3 minutes later, the barman arrived with fish and chips and another sausage pie!!! (There were no other diners with us, real or imaginary)
My husband attempted to cut into the chop, but it had become as tough as Thor's hammer and the rest was cold. After consulting the chef, the barman asked would we like it reheating!!! Erm....nope! He began to look rather devastated and went back to the kitchen which was now producing lots of clattering and banging noises! (Think Fawlty Towers were Basil pretends to pay the chef to stay late to cook for the Americans) By this time we had been there over an hour and asked just for a refund instead. The poor Polish guy looked desperate now and went to speak to the chef again. We thoroughly expected him to return with a note written by the chef or to announce they were all out of Waldorfs!! We did get a refund for the cold meal, so fair enough and I can't blame the barman at all, his English is 10 times better than my Polish and he was friendly and really working as hard as he could, but it's unfair to put pressure on front of house staff in this way. Totally counter productive.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

When we arrived,we signed in and were shown our room,which had a comfy bed,wall mounted television, tea and coffee making facilities.The shower room was also very nice. Dinner was not so nice! The starter of scallops, was very disappointing. They were minute dots, served on a small slice of toasted bread, they had no taste. Our iron steak was over cooked for medium. We could tell the staff where doing Their best, but how the owners could have put one chef alone on, and one young man who was the receptionist, barman, food waitor, and showed guests to there rooms! and cleared away tables! There were quite a few guests staying, due to the Groupon deal. So I would hope that in the future the owners, would put enough staff to cover the bookings they have. The breakfast was nice, and they seemed to be staffed sufficiently As I have said lovely area and hotel. And well worth a visit.

3  Thank Flora L
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I was told this pub was dog friendly, but I had no idea just how dog friendly it would be. Super walk locally, and crashed out in the bar with 2 worn out dogs and a pint of Guiness whilst watching the final of the six nations. Couldn't have asked for a better venue - than you!

3  Thank CedarWillow