“Brilliant”

Holiday Inn Derby - Nottingham M1
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sandiacre
“Brilliant”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We booked this in with the Alton towers package at first I was very nervous about going after reading some of the reviews but can honestly say I would defiantly stay there again building on the outside is not much to look at but to be fair does that matter .......... Rooms inside were very clean and staff were brilliant breakfast on the morning was lovely ! Can honestly recommend this hotel

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Lcrooks85
Mark_OConnor1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Derby - Nottingham M1, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to leave your review and for your positive feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We can for one night, the check in and out were swift.

The building is set back, however with a lego brick institutional type design, no very welcoming, not pretty.

Internally it is standard holiday in, clean, functional no frills.

Good points: easiy to find off M1, close to alton towers (45mins) lovely food, nice breakfast (however some service issues), big free car park, free wifi.

Points to consider: rooms are a long way from reception,,rooms have thin walls; walking along the corridor you can here all the internal conversations, you can hear your neighbours TV, toilet flush .. "Everything!!", this is popular with coach trips, hence the restraunt gets buisy with groups of giddy I'll manared people getting a Buffett while we were trying to enjoy a al a cart family meal, the breakfast had a few items missing, including large played (at 8am on a Sunday morning!), Also once our menu was taken for the evening meal their was no table service for drinks, it was bar service only, however as there was a function on the bar was buisy!

We have a platinum card, we got the vouchers and the wifi, but no upgrade, no newspaper, no bottles of water, no upgraded toiletries but it didn't really matter.

In summary it's a functional clean box like base, food is good - the steak was amazing, credit to the chef! If you are a light sleeper I would suggest to request a room not near a family or a "romantic" couple!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank extratowelsplease
Many thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback following your recent stay at the hotel. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations with regard to service and please be assured that your comments have been shared with our management so that they can investigate the reasons for the shortfalls in service you received. Once again, thank you for your time and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Hotel appearance pretty poor external and internal better suited to meetings.
Exec room tiny with bathroom smaller than my cloakroom at home.
Bed very uncomfortable and noise bad.
Blackout of room good however.
Wifi service free, slow and chargeable for faster speed.....a joke in today's market.
Breakfast was poorly supplied with excuse from staff blaming Alton tower departing guests for raiding the breakfast area earlier.....great if all you want us coffee!
Best bit was free parking.
Overall I will find alternative next time in area.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following your recent stay with us. I was concerned to read your comments as they are not indicative of the normal standards of service we provide and I have shared your feedback with our management team. Thank you again for your time and I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations.

Travellers are raving about these Sandiacre hotels

Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The hotel is a short distance from J25 of the M1 and very easy to find. As you're looking for the hotel on your right, don't be tempted to take the first entrance, that's a complex of offices. Once you see a T junction ahead, controlled by lights, you'll spot the Holiday Inn sign and entrance.

The hotel's set in pleasant grounds with lots of parking. Before you drive out of the hotel, take a note of the code number for the exit barrier.

After a long motorway drive, we received a friendly welcome and a swift check in. Both were greatly appreciated. At check-in, Gold members are currently offered a choice of an extra 300 points or a complimentary drink.

This is an older Holiday Inn - but clean and serviceable. A real plus, and I am comparing this with my experience at a number of Holiday Inns, is the friendly attitude of all the staff we came into contact with.

Our room had the newer style wooden panels that slide across the window wall, with light wood bedside tables and desk. But the desk chair and sofa bed were older and you could see the foam padding through the arm of the sofa. I mention this to underline that this is an older property and, staying here, you'll have to make allowances for that. The competitive rates should help.

We stayed two nights. On both days the hot breakfast items were freshly cooked and good quality. If you're planning a visit any time soon, just be warned that the Pancake Maker is out of order...

Both the Independent and the "i" newspapers are freely available in the lobby.

The draught Guinness was excellent. Although we didn't eat in the restaurant, we had one bar meal of fish and chips. It was served quickly and was perfectly acceptable. Hot bar snacks are served from late morning onwards.

If you're a leisure traveller, Alton Towers might be your only planned visit but I would mention that Hardwick Hall, one of Derbyshire's stately homes is only a 30-minute drive away, off J29.

And if visiting IKEA is a novelty for you (it is for us!), the Nottingham store is a short drive from J26.

We visited this hotel once before, in 2012, and our impressions after that first visit were just the same as now - a friendly hotel in a convenient location.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark_OConnor1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Derby - Nottingham M1, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your valuable feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel as part of an Alton Towers package. We booked for two adults, one child and an infant. We pulled off the M1 and literally a couple of minutes later pulled into the hotel driveway. Good start! As we drove down the hotel driveway, gazing at all the green space around us, my husband and I remarked that we must have got ourselves a bit of a bargain here and started to get excited at what the hotel itself must be like. This was mistake number two – mistake number one was actually booking the hotel in the first place;

Our first glimpse of HI Derby/Nottingham was a brown institutional Lego brick. Try to think of the most uninviting, soulless depressing building that you can and believe me you are not even close. ‘Never mind’, I said to hubby. ‘There’s plenty of parking and perhaps there are hidden treasures inside’. As it turns out, there were indeed true gems, which included a vintage shower head (a yellowish brown affair fixed to the tiles above the bath that dribbled out the meanest amount of water possible). The room and the bathroom in particular, doesn't appear to have been refurbished, ever. But I am getting ahead of myself here. First we encountered ‘Reception’, who thought there were only three of us staying. Luckily, we had brought our own cot bed and managed to re-arrange the furniture in the bedroom to accommodate our youngest. In fact it was a shame that we couldn’t have brought our other Son’s bed with us too, as the leg on the bed intended for our three year old snapped whilst he was sleeping in it. As we approached our bedroom with an impeding sense of doom, we realised that it wasn’t just the room we should be fearing but lack of pleasant breathing air. As hubby and I debated what the possible source of the stench could be, drifting down the corridor and getting stronger as we got closer to our bedroom, our eldest piped up with ‘urrghhh daddy, I think my brother’s nappy needs changing!’. It wasn’t the nappy but the smell was indeed of a sewerage bouquet. Hubby complained to reception to which the reply was they had had problems with the drainage and 'Dyno-Rod' had been in all day – no offer of a change of room or even an apology. A sickly smell of air freshener was blasted down the corridor outside of our room about 20 mins later though. There were no sockets by the bed which is important if you have electrical equipment that you need close to where you sleep and the carpets were suspiciously damp.

Dinner in the hotel was ok. We were sat in a booth raised about a step up from the main floor. A highchair wasn’t offered for our little one and when I asked, the staff did bring one but then tried to balance it on the step/raised area as it wouldn’t fit in the booth. I suggested that another table on the main restaurant floor maybe more appropriate. The food portions were small for the price but quite edible. Not so palatable was the 15% service charge tacked automatically onto our restaurant bill. When we questioned it, the member of staff exclaimed ‘that’s naughty isn’t it! – no apology and no offer to remove it. Sound familiar? The children’s menu waxed lyrical the importance of healthy eating and boasted a five- a-day policy and then served fish fingers with a vat of ketchup and chips and no offer of any greens! When asked, the staff did organise some peas for us. The children’s meals were served after the adults meals which, if any parent is reading this will know what happened next… (think of the advert where the little kid threw a major strop in a supermarket.)

Breakfast was good but hey compared to the rest of our stay perhaps its more relief that we got something for the money we paid. Compared to other hotel buffets I suppose it was ok. The breakfast & housekeeping staff were very friendly, polite and welcoming – especially to our children. A credit to your hotel.

What is strange is that there are a good number of positive reviews on this hotel to be found on the web. This suggests that there may well be ‘nicer’ rooms in this hotel that we were not worthy of seeing. Perhaps regular/local customers are treated differently? Perhaps our visit was a blip in the system (although that doesn’t explain the crappy – excuse the pun here – bedroom we were allocated). I don’t know. All I can comment upon is my experience and in summary, great location and grounds but the hotel is tired looking and in need of a major upgrade of its facilities. There appears to be a rather alarming lack of pride taken in what it offers its customers and even more disappointing a general acceptance from staff about the nature of complaints that they receive. So much so, we were not even asked how our stay was (as I suspect they knew the answer and didn’t want any more hassle.) This place is screaming out for investment, training and a massive change in customer ethos but sadly I suspect that they will just carry on doing what they have been doing in this environment for the next 30 years or so. Would we stay here again? Not on your life! Would we stay in a HI again? Based on what we have seen at this establishment, we would avoid using this company if at all possible.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mrs G
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Derby - Nottingham M1, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Mrs G,

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Swansea County, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Issues:-
1- The corridors and room stank on damp.
2- The reception couldn’t care less
3- The restaurant add a service charge of 10% automaticly then over charge it to 15%
4- The evening restaurant staff are rude, unfriendly, unknowledgeable, and generally untrained
5- Generally the staff did they best not to talk to customers or find any problems to add to their work load
6- All the staff need to go back to basics with customer service
7- Kids menu promotes the eat 5 a day but doesn’t give veg with any meal.
8- the Wifi will bankrupt you ifyou try to use it.
9- the bar prices are astronomical ive paid less in london hotels for a glass of better wine.

Positives:-
1- Restaurant food is good quality and cooked very well
2- Breakfast, selection and buffets and very good
3- Breakfast staff are friendly and chatty
4- Close to the M1
5- Easy to get to Alton Towers

Would I recommend or stay her again not on you life

Room Tip: dont have a ground floor room they smell BAD
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank jacktraveller40
Many thanks for taking the time to leave your review and for your valuable feedback. I was concerned to read your comments as they are not indicative of the usual high standards of service that we provide to our guests. We would like the opportunity to discuss your feedback with you and would be grateful if you could contact our Operations Manager on 0871 942 9062 so we may investigate this further. In the meantime, I am sorry that your stay with us failed to meet your expectations and look forward to hearing from you.
London
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

A brief update as this is my third stay at this hotel. It still has the same sellling points for me, which are the polite staff and the quality of the food. The Indian dishes are as good as you will get in any Indian restaurant and they should extend the range of Indian Cuisine as the menu is very limited. The hotel could not be better positioned for motorway travel being only a short distance from the M1. Not much to say about the rooms, they are standard Holiday Inn, nothing special but comfortable and kept clean. Not sure I would stay here, other than for business, as there is nowhere to go in the evening that is within walking distance other than a walk into the town of Sandiacre which has a couple of pubs and restaurants.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Mark_OConnor1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Derby - Nottingham M1, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your food and have shared your comments with our Head Chef. Thanks again for your time and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandiacre
Hotel Novotel Nottingham Derby
Best Western Nottingham Derby
The Nottingham Belfry - A QHotel
Village Hotel Nottingham
#16 of 49 in Nottingham
Hilton East Midlands Airport
Hilton East Midlands Airport
#3 of 7 in Castle Donington

Been to Holiday Inn Derby - Nottingham M1? Share your experiences!