“Excellent hotel and friendly staff”

Best Western Passage House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kingsteignton
Blackwood, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel and friendly staff”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

My wife and myself stayed at the Passage House Hotel on 12th and 13th June 2012 by way of a Groupon promotion.
What a lovely surprise.
The hotel is in a lovely location, the room (208) was superb, the staff couldn't have been nicer or more professional and they really made us feel as if they wanted us there.
The gym was smallish but well equipped and the swimming pool, whilst not being Olympic sized, was very pleasant and comfortable.
The Passage House Inn is a "shoot off" of the hotel and the carvery they served was superb.
Our breakfast was of the continental variety and was delicious.
I cannot praise the whole package highly enough and thoroughly recommend the hotel

Room Tip: Room 208 was excellent
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kbowdenwilliams11
PassageHouse, Director of Sales at Best Western Passage House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Thank you for your review, as I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the hotel.

I do hope that we will get to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Kindest Regards

Carley Warren

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2012

It's not looking good for a favourable review when you can't even negotiate the final mile to the hotel - you see it from the dual carriageway and thinks it's easy. Well of course in the satnav generation it is and although I've stayed here a number of times it was back in the day before satnavs were a common tool and I realised I'd completely forgotten the route from the main roundabout. It was a case of "so near and yet so far" but I had a brief flash of memory recall and all was well in the end.

On arrival I found the welcome and service at reception to be excellent. I'd requested a quiet room and was given one overlooking the estuary (201) which was ideal, although it might prove noisy during busy weekends as it's above the conservatory/patio area.

On to dinner. I started with the soup which was missing the stated "with croutons" and looked/tasted suspiciously like it had arrived directly from a catering size tin. The steak was average and when I asked if there was the chance of fries instead of chunky chips the answer was a resounding no. However, the cheese board rounded everything off with a large glass of number 38 on the wine list. So I left on a high and remembered little of the previous two courses!

I don't sleep well in anything other than my own bed but it was not uncomfortable. The room got a bit warm and so around 2am I opened the window only to hear the sound of what I guess was a house alarm from somewhere and so the window was closed again. The alarm was still going when I got up. Although the room temperature was just about bearable with the window closed, I would imagine in the heat of summer without room aircon it would be totally unbearable. The bathroom has been refurbed but why does the shower head look as if it's been purchased from a second hand shop and why is it positioned so low - if I was over 6 foot then I'd have old maids stoop after a couple of minutes. A pet gripe of mine is the use of generic soap/bodywash/shampoo gloop dispensers instead of normal soap, shampoo and bodywash etc bottles.

Breakfast was the usual odds and ends but why no teaspoons readily available for yoghurts, why have old school wine glasses for juice instead of normal glasses, why are there no condiment pots on each table with the various sauces etc.

Will somebody put me out of my misery and tell me why there are so many gloomy pictures in the main restaurant? They may well depict the area as it once was but in my view they are complete tat and spoil the ambience.

My deciding factor on the giving an overall 5 was purely down to the fact management make the effort to respond to critiques/feedback and to me that indicates customer service is reasonably high on their agenda. The proof of course will be what I see different during my next stay and that no doubt will be the subject of another story.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank nnmercman
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy you stay as much as we would hope.

I will pass on your comments to the teams and ensure they look into the issues raised in your review.

I do hope that we get to welcome you back to the hotel and offer to you a more superior service.

If you would like to discuss your stay further please contact me on carleywarren@passagehousehotel.co.uk

Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

My partner and I are well travelled, over 50 countries at the last count, we stayed in the Passage HouseHotel on a Groupon Special earlier this year and returned for 'Jubilee Weekend'. The Hotel is in a lovely position on the estuary, slightly off the mainroad with a massive free car park.
Wonderfull views across the estuary, so its worth paying a little extra for a balcony room. Some would say the rooms are a little basic, but for the money what do you expect. Everywhere was clean, Queensize bed, lovely bedding, modern furniture, flat screen TV, clean and modern bathroom,helpfull happy desk crew, waiters very good, very nice dinner, freshly cooked and served breakfast, the adjoining pub was very pleasing and adequate, and if you want a different dining experience the nearby town has everything.
Because the hotel caters for coaches and weddings, one should be aware of this when deciding on eating times, we always eat as early as possible wherever we stay, in so doing we get better service and escape the dining room before the place is full of chattering parties. Another reviewer, Colin G made many complaints, I would point out to him that if he wants the kind of experience he indicated he expected,he should go to Summer Lodge, just up the road , and pay a few hundred pounds more.
Passage House doesn't have michelin stars, a doorman, a porter, an extensive wine cellar etc, etc, (we do that stuff sometimes), but because its quite simply good value for money.

Room Tip: Go for the balcony room, its worth the extra money.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank John P
PassageHouse, Director of Sales at Best Western Passage House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
First and foremost thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor.

I am really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the hotel, and I really hope that we get to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Nuneaton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We booked this hotel as a last minute break, I had a quick look on here before booking and noticed a few negative reviews but since it was such a good deal thought i'd find out for myself, I called the hotel first to ask if we could have a travel cot for our 7 month old and to ask if there was any way we could have a microwave or access to one for sterilising bottles etc, the receptionist was lovely and made me feel at ease staying away for the first time with our little girl.
When we got to our room there was our own microwave all set up along with a travel cot, sheets and blankets for our little one, needless to say we were very impressed with the service as we only booked the night before :-)
The view from our room was amazing and the room its self was brilliant, breakfast was brilliant and so was the spa!!!
Not a bad word to say about our whole stay we will be going back very soon.
Thanks for making us feel so welcome.

Room Tip: We were right above the balcony for the bar/restaurant, as the weather wasn't too good there was...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your review.

I am so happy to hear that we made you and your family feel welcome during your stay with us here at the hotel.

I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the rest of the teams at the hotel.

Look forward to seeing you again soon.

penzance
Reviewed 2 June 2012

My wife and I had a very pleasant surprise with this hotel, Reception on arrival, smooth an efficient, the room allocated was in a block away from the main hotel building, we found it to be immaculatley clean, as new, in fact ideal for us.Although the hotel seemed very busy during our
stay, the standard of food and friendly service received by us was excellent.
Our trip was taken Via a Groupon coupon deal, we hope this one comes up again soon!!!

1 Thank Chris M
Thank you for your review.

It gives us great pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the hotel.

I do hope that we get to welcome you back to the BEST WESTERN Passage House Hotel again soon.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My husband and I booked the Passage House Hotel for our wedding reception. We had the most amazing day and it was all down to the hotel and their brilliant staff. The food was excellent, well served and timely. I would recommend the Passage House and their staff to anyone thinking of a wedding venue. Our rooms was delightful. Massive thank you!! x

Room Tip: Always pay that little extra to get a front facing room. Beautiful views!!!
Dear Gemma,

Thank you for your review about your Wedding.

It makes me so happy to hear that you had a beautiful special day with us here at the hotel, and thank you for letting us be part of your magical day.

Look forward to seeing you again soon

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We stayed for two nights (Friday and Saturday) for our friends wedding which was held in the hotel.

All the staff were very friendly and helpful, the food was lovely and the cooked breakfast was to a high standard. The wedding was fantastic...!

Our room was lovely, very comfortable bed with amazing black out blinds! Shower was brilliant - powerful and a lovely temp! We also had a lovely balcony with views down the river.

I would recommend this hotel... :)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
PassageHouse, Director of Sales at Best Western Passage House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Thank you for your review about your experience at the BEST WESTERN Passage House Hotel.

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at the hotel, and I hope that we can welcome you back here in the future.

Carley Warren
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingsteignton
Cockhaven Arms
The Orestone Manor
The Orestone Manor
#9 of 87 in Torquay
Ilsington Country House Hotel

Been to Best Western Passage House Hotel? Share your experiences!