“Spa Break Visit”

Hallmark Hotel Hull
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Ferriby
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

A friend and I visited the Hallmark North Ferriby last weekend for a Spa Break0, we chose the Holistic Package which consisted of overnight stay, 55 minute massage, use of facilities, 3 course evening meal and buffet style breakfast.
We had our treatments booked simultaneously at 12 noon, we arrived in time for our treatments and were offered early check-in so we could go straight to our room which was excellent.
The room was very nicely decorated and clean.
The relaxation suite was very nice and comfortable and we both enjoyed our massages. My therapist Nicole was excellent can't rate her highly enough.
The sauna and gym are obviously new and well kept.
The 3 course evening meal and breakfast were excellent, plenty of choice and nice staff. Overall very good value at £90. We worked out from price lists that the meals and treatment added up to around £90 individually so you basically get the overnight stay for free with this deal.
On balance a few thing could've been improved (but this is me being picky). The bar was busy during the day due to wedding party guests arriving. They needed more staff on, the Afternoon Tea we ordered did not consist of the vegetarian sandwiches we asked for but this was rectified immediately by the staff.
We had to be moved in the middle of the night due to the noise coming from a vent on the roof in the wind, we were moved immediately by a very helpful gentleman again with no fuss. We heard of someone being moved from their room due to the draft from a window also, maintenance of the building features in a few of the other reviews too which is a shame because the hotel is nicely decorated and has excellent views.
I agree the experience would be improved with a Jacuzzi / pool but for the money this is great value and I would recommend staying here.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Helen W
Serena W, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thank you for your kind review; I am delighted that you have recently "Discovered" the Hallmark Hotel; and that you have enjoyed a recent "Pamper" Break.

It's great to hear that you were able to gain early access to your room (this is something we do try to accommodate; however always subject to availability).

I am delighted to hear that you enjoy your Pamper Treatments; and will certainly credit Nicole with your feedback. Our facilities are New; and I am pleased that you were able to take advantage of the Relaxation Suite, Gym and Sauna.

I am sorry that you were disturbed by the weather conditions during your stay; our Maintenance Manager has reviewed the guest rooms following your stay.

It's great to hear that you enjoyed our spectacular views; it is one of the key reasons why our guests choose the hotel for the unique Humber Estuary views.

The Team look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

I purchased a Wowcher Champagne afternoon tea for myself & 2 friends costing £32 apparently up to 51% saving on the normal price. We were given a table with a lovely view of the river but there was a howling gale coming through the glazed door due to a large gap in the door frame, so bad it was blowing the napkins off the table. We would have asked to move but the whole area was cold.The service was excellent but the food very poor & bore no resemblance to the image shown on the Wowcher site. There was a small quantity of minute sandwiches,the scones were miniature with one small container of cream to share between 3 people, not sufficient even with the small scones, no cupcakes as shown on the advert. It was not worth £32 & if they charged the price stated it would be day light robbery. Do not purchase this voucher. Only redeeming fact was the pleasant & efficient staff.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank fatcatdotcom

Thank you for your valuable feedback following your recent visit to the Hallmark Hotel. Your feedback will be shared with our Head Chef.

I am disappointed to hear that you did not fully enjoy your recent experience at the Hallmark Hotel. Our Afternoon Teas are extremely popular; whether being enjoyed in the lounge or as part of our Pamper Days; so it is disappointing to hear that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I am pleased that you found our Team pleasant and efficient.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Positives : Breakfast was very good, selection of fruits, cereal & yoghurt .Cooked full English breakfast, very nice.The evening meal we chose was very nice and tasty. The staff were friendly.
The Relaxation room was just that.The room was very clean and warm .
The disappointment was realising the Sauna was 1 cabin !,there was no Spa and no swimming pool ( I did ask a member of the staff if " only the larger Hallmark Hotels had a swimming Pool ?"
to this I was told the Manchester one had a swimming pool.The greater amount of guests staying were attending a wedding evening reception if that had not been held during the time of our stay there would have been very few guests.The location was a taxi ride or car ride to any other venue.
This is the 1st time of using a `coupon Break` but next time will be checking Google Earth .

Room Tip: Research Location on Google Earth.
1  Thank Joanne H
Serena W, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback; and for Discovering the Hallmark Hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed dining in our Brasserie for Breakfast & Dinner; and hope you enjoyed the fabulous views of the Humber Estuary. I am pleased to hear that you found our Team friendly.

We are located a mere 5 minute drive into the City Centre of Hull; with immediate access to the A63 - which I hope you found beneficial whilst visiting the area.

On behalf of the Hallmark Team; we hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 3 February 2014

The hotel has been refurbished since we where married at this hotel in April 2009, and they have done a first rate job.
The evening and food where first class, the staff where great, but the party finished at 12.30 only half an hour after midnight not good, we where then asked to go up to the bar area. If only the disco had gone on to 1.30am or 1 am at least !! The staff could have cleared the tables around us. That was the only problem.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank JohnH86Hull

I am so delighted that you re-visited the Hallmark Hotel; and yes we have enjoyed a £3.5 million make-over!

Thank you for choosing the Hallmark Hotel for your New Year's Eve Celebrations; and delighted to hear that you found the event enjoyable and our Team members great.

I hope to look forward to welcoming you to celebrate into 2015!

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We visited this hotel as we received a voucher for a wedding present for a one night break and tapas for two.

On first arrival, the hotel seemed well kept even though the main automatic doors were broken, not fully open or not fully closed. We walked in, to find no one on reception. Once we found a staff member from the bar to get the receptionist, we were allocated room 106. We were advised of the location of the tapas we had booked (in the brassiere) and times of breakfast, then we went to the room.

On arrival to the room the bathroom window has a crack diagonal from corner to corner and the main bedroom window did not close as it had dropped and could not be lifted. We immediately went back to reception and was offered another room.

We then had room 220, which on comparison was a lot warmer and slightly bigger. All seemed ok. About 5.30 we went into the brasserie for tapas, to find it was empty and were them told it was actually held in the lounge. We brought drinks in the bar and then we're given plates to help ourselves to the tapas. The £3.50 per person portion consisted of sliced sausages, mozzarella balls, tomatoes, bread and 2 sauces. Limited quantity and not what we expected for the price.

We didn't eat in the restaurant, however we did visit a local restaurant chain. On arrival back to the hotel that evening, we walked in and the receptionist didn't even look up from what she appeared to be reading at the front desk.

Once we got back to the room, it was warm and well decorated, however the old style iron pipes that run around the edges of the room crack and creak loudly throughout the night. The bed was comfy, although a little soft, and we slept well on a torn bed sheet. We also found dirty/stained towels which were folded in the wardrobe.

In the morning we had breakfast in the brassiere which was probably the best of the experiences of our stay. There was a large variety of food available and drinks on hand.

To be honest we have had better service at the premier in ten mins up the road and expected better service from a higher quality chain of hotels. I wouldn't have been happy paying the prices they charge for the service we received.

3  Thank LO1988
Serena W, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

I am disappointed to learn that you didn't "Discover" the true Hallmark Experience; equally this is felt amongst our Department Heads.

During your stay we were addressing a mechanical issue with our front doors; which was unexpected. Guest information was visible to apologise for the inconvenience. The linen has been reviewed; and sincerely apologise for the oversight on this occasion; along with maintenance with the Bedroom window.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the ambience of our Brasserie during Breakfast; we do pride ourselves on ensuring that we offer a hearty and fulfilling Buffet Breakfast. I hope that you enjoyed the magnificent views of the Humber Bridge whilst dining!

Our Team receive regular feedback on how personable the Hallmark Hotel is; and hope that you will provide me with the opportunity to Welcome you back to Discvoer the true Hallmark Experience.

I do hope that you will re-consider visiting Hull again and the Hallmark Hotel. Please kindly contact me direclty if you would like to arrange a future stay.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

We have just returned from an over night stay at the Hallmark and I must say we were very impressed from start to finish. Very friendly staff on reception and throughout the hotel. The room was very nicely furnished and cosy with a nice view of the Humber bridge, the only thing that let the room down was the bed, it did sink a little in the middle but we still had a good nights sleep.We didn't eat in the restaurant but we did see a few bar meals coming out while we were sat in the bar and they looked lovely. Breakfast was really nice, with everything you could want and more, I particularly liked the fresh fruit and Danish pastries! We would return to this hotel and would not hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Serena W, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Thank you for your lovely feedback; I am delighted that you have been impressed by our Hotel and friendly Staff.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your guest room; a number of our rooms take advantage of the wonderful views of the Humber Bridge and Estuary - and hope you enjoyed the views from the Window Seat.

It's great to hear that you would return to the Hallmark; the Team look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

To start with the negative: My friend and I booked a weekend at the Hallmark through Spabreak,com. We regularly go on spa weekend and were expecting to spend most of the time in a swimming pool, Jacuzzi ...but when we arrived at the hotel we were very disappointed to find out that the hotel only had a sauna and a gym. We had booked our treatments for 1400 on Sunday thinking we would make the most of the spa facilities before the treatments. I must admit we did not read the small lines mentioning there was no pool but it never crossed our mind as we have been on many spa breaks before and it is the very first time that there is no swimming pool. The price did not reflect it either as we normally pay around the same for the full spa experience inc. Treatments in 4 star hotel. We also booked a twin room and were given a double with a bunk bed. We complaint 3 times in total and the first lady at reception was not helpful at all, more argumentative than anything else. Luckily we spoke to Jason in the evening one of the manager and he was very understanding and friendly and here come the positive: He first explained that they do meet "Spabreak.com" requirements (which is something we will also raise with Spabreak.com) He promised that he would come and see us over dinner and he did. We were offered a bottle of wine and additional treatments. He also offered to change the room but it was already quite late by that time and we already had all our things out of the bags. The whole hotel was very nice and most of the staff very friendly, We were supposed to check out at 1100 but it was a rainy day, we had time to kill between 11 and 1400 before treatments and they let us stay in the room until 1200. The food in the restaurant was delicious, the treatments were excellent! If this was not sold as a "spa break" I would have given it a 4.5 star. And we would like to thank Jason for his excellent and positive attitude.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Serena W, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Thank you for your feedback during your recent visit to the Hallmark Hotel. I am pleased to hear overall you would have rated us a 4.5; and that as a whole you enjoyed the relaxed ambience of the Hotel, as well as your enjoyable dining experience.

We are very careful not to advertise that we have full Spa facilities; and tend to avoid promoting our Pamper Days as Spa Days (although some restrictions on wording does apply on 3rd party sites). We have a lovely Gym, Sauna and Relaxation Suite; and hope that you found time to take advantage of these during your stay.

I am aware of your concern on the bedroom; I would like to fully reassure you that this was a genuine over-sight; and sincerely apologise further for this obvious oversight on the evening.

I am so pleased that Jason was able to assist with your concerns on the day. Jason is a real assist to the Hallmark Team; and I am sure will be delighted to receive your feedback. I am aware that we offered you an additional Beauty Treatment each for the inconvenience; and hope that these were enjoyed.

I hope that you will return; and will certainly ensure that the correct Twin Room will be allocated in the future. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly to arrange this in the future.

Kind Regards, Serena

#10 of 20 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Ibis Hull
Ibis Hull
#6 of 20 in Kingston-upon-Hull

Been to Hallmark Hotel Hull? Share your experiences!