“Do not go for pamper day voucher!”

Hallmark Hotel Hull
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Ferriby
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Do not go for pamper day voucher!”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My partner and I booked this hotel through Wahanda as a pamper break for our first year anniversary. We called up early to book in our treatments and were expecting a spa experience.
We arrived on the day to find that our treatments had been booked for the wrong month and they could not fit us in (Hotels fault) so we decided to go and check the facilities. The 'spa' that we were expecting was a small gym with hardly any equipment and a sauna that looked like it had been built in a cupboard. That was all! We complained to the front desk who arranged free drinks for us, but could not refund us. And promptly left, our special day ruined. We then called Wahanda to try and get out money back, with no luck. And then went straight to the hotel who also refused to give any sort of a refund. We travelled all the way from peterborough and back, and they did not even offer to cover our travel expensed. Just offered us another pamper day?!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Liddlelorz
Serena W, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Hull, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to feedback following your recent visit to the Hallmark Hotel.

I am disappointed to learn further of your recent visit to the Hallmark; as believe that your concerns have already been dealt with; together with the 3rd Party Site which you made the booking via.

I believe upon your arrival, there had been a mix-up on the booking date; however we quickly reviewed our availability and was able to re-arrange your treatments on the day (although you chose not to take the treatments).

We are very careful on how our Beauty and Leisure Facilities are advertised; and although advertised on 3rd Party Websites - we do take care not to advertise as a full Spa. Our facilities comprise of a Gym, Sauna, Jogging Track, Beauty Rooms and a Relaxation Suite.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback.

Serena

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
hull
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Having bought my daughter a Group Spa voucher for this hotel we decided to use it before it expired. We went to the hotel reception and we were given our robe and slippers and we were told where we needed to go. The changing rooms were extremely cold but we quickly put on our robes and tried to find the relaxation room. The room was ok but it just lacked that extra special sparkle that I have come to expect from a good spa. There was no real ambiance and all there was to drink was some horrible tap water. Our therapists came to greet us and take us to the treatment rooms which looked like they had previously been hotel bedrooms. My therapist was really sweet and she explained what the treatment consisted of. I had the full body massage and also a facial which included an indian head massage. I have to say I thought the full body massage was not up to the standard I have experienced in other spa's, it was as if the therapist was just going through the motions and couldn't be bothered. The facial was ok and the indian head massage was more 'I' than 'indian', I felt that the therapist really didn't like to put her hands through my hair. Once the facial and massage was finished the therapist took us back to the relaxation room which was a good thing because we would never have found it otherwise. I asked the therapist about ordering coffee and she said she would organise it for me but she didn't and I had to get it myself, which was fine bit it would have been nice to have all the coffee and tea facilities available in the relaxation room. I'm not convinced that the Hallmark hotel in Ferriby has got it right where the spa is concerned. I think its very disjointed and lacks the wow factor. I'm a great believer in being shown what products have been used on my skin and I also would have liked the opportunity to have purchased those products had they been on sale. Hallmark Hotel, if you are going to advertise the fact that you have a Spa I think that you need to plough more money into it and turn it into something that has a wow factor rather that something that has the 'ouch' factor. I cannot, now, tell all my friends that I had a fabulous spa day because I didn't.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank christine g
Serena W, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Hull, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Christine G,

Thank you for your recent visit to the Hallmark Hotel; and for your valuable Tripadvisor feedback.

This is the first feedback that I believe we have received regarding the service provided by our Therapist; and would really appreciate discussing this matter further directly with you.

I have checked into the changing room; unfortunately it appears that the radiator had been turned off; and sincerely apologise for the temperature of the room during your visit.

I would be grateful if you would kindly contact me directly on serena.walters@hallmarkhotels.co.uk to discuss your recent visit.

UK
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed whilst on business in the Hull area... Great late deal of £49 a night room only... Hotel looks a little dated from the outside but inside modern and stylish with clean modern looking rooms... Gardens a treat with drinks terrace with good views of the Humber Bridge... Breakfast £10 as on room only deal but good selection of fruits and cooked breakfast... Bar meals reasonably priced around £10 for mains with an option to eat in the hotels brasserie for more fancier food... Good free wifi connection throughout the hotel... Just one negative... The water pressure in the shower was very low... Overall a great stay....

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark S
Thank you for your great review; and for "Discovering" the Hallmark Hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you found the Hotel Modern, clean and stylish. We do have the most stunning views in Hull; and delighted to hear that you enjoyed the view and gardens.

It's great to hear that you found our food reasonably priced; and very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Our Maintenance Manager, in the meantime - will review the water pressure experienced in your room.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Having just returned from sunday lunch I feel compelled to leave a review .
We where booked in at 1pm and there was 3 sittings throughout the day , we didn't feel rushed in anyway and our every need was well catered for ,
The Sunday dinner has to be one of the best iv had in a long time and the Yorkshire puddings where absolutely amazing , as was the chocolate brownie for dessert
we will definitely be returning very soon ..

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank BIGDEE81
Serena W, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Hull, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
WOW! Thank you for another 5 Star Review!

The Team are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent experience at the Hallmark Hotel on Mothering Sunday.

Our Mothering Sunday Menu was very similar to our regular Weekly Sunday Lunch Menu; which is very popular - offering great value for money!

The Team are delighted to that you felt that you had plenty of time to enjoy the dining experience; and that you particularly enjoyed our Chef's popular and large (!) Yorkshire Pudding (and of course the all important Dessert)...

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

P.s. Easter Sunday Lunch NOW on Sale with FREE Easter Eggs for the Children!

Kindest Regards,

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Saturday 29th March 2014.

I recently purchased a Groupon voucher which allowed us to stay the evening with a late check out and tapas at the bar.

I must say we were very impressed.

We were greeted with a warm welcome and the receptionist was very helpful. We arrived at around 5pm and there were no issues with check in! An excellent start.

Room: perfect! The standard of the room for the value (50.00) was fantastic. Very clean and modern. Tea and coffee supplied. Ironing board and iron. I didn't find a hair dryer. However, I had brought my own so wasn't specifically looking for one.

Tapas: it was nice. Please see the pictures I have uploaded. Great way to start the evening. Service again by the staff was excellent.

Restaurant: there are no other words to describe it, other than EXCELLENT!

The steak was perfectly cooked! The quality of the food was clearly of a high standard. Again, decor modern and fantastic service by two lovely ladies. The atmosphere was very calm and relaxing.

Sleep quality: slept perfectly! Considering we were close to main roads, we heard absolutely nothing. The room (133) was of a good temperature and the black out curtains worked a treat. The mattress was just right for us.

Breakfast: this was a buffet style breakast. It had everything that should be there;
- fresh fruit
- pastries and bread
- cereals and yogurt
- tea/coffee and a range of fruit juices
- hot items to make a "cooked breakfast"

And many more.

All the food was fresh and again, of a high quality! Service at breakfast - super!

Check out: excellent!

Would I stay here again? Yes!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JSPHILLIPS1
Serena W, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Hull, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
WOW! Thank you for another 5 Star Review!

I am delighted that you have recent discovered the Hallmark Hotel (Hull); and that you were impressed with your discovery.

It's great that you found our guest bedrooms to be clean & modern; and your Restaurant experience excellent; along with our High Standard of Food.

I am further delighted that you enjoyed a perfect night's sleep; and that you would return.

Please don't hesitate to contact me on your next visit; and as a "Thank you" for such a great review - a complimentary upgrade would be available!

The Hallmark Team look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Scarborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My wife purchased a Wowcher champagne afternoon team (£20) for us both for my birthday. This was booked for Saturday 22nd. March ‘14 and I thought it would be good idea to stay at the hotel that night, which I managed to get cheap through Groupon - £65 including Spa access, Tapas that evening and breakfast the following morning together with a late checkout.

Check-in is from 2pm but we got there early at 12:45 and we were able to check-in straight away as our room was ready.

There was a wedding on in the hotel and it was very busy so our champagne afternoon tea was served, as a result, in a small sunken snook area instead of the main bar/lounge area with a view. We have had quite a few afternoon tea's the quality of which varyies from poor and expensive to extremely good. For the price, £20 for 2, for this one turned out to be one of the better ones. Lots of small triangular sandwiches with egg, ham and cheese fillings. There was the usual homemade scones and with clotted cream and jam and 4 different types of cakes, including fruit cake and cheese, The champagne and tea/coffee complemented the relaxed afternoon delights.

We had room 217 on the second floor. There was no lift but as we only had a small overnight case it wasn't a problem for us. When we opened the bedroom door, using the electronic keycard, we were presented by a small and very cold room. Initial thoughts were that it was well presented having the expected hairdryer, iron and ironing board, 42" flat screen TV, quality toiletries and a telephone. The bathroom looked recently renovated and sported a new looking bath, basin and toilet together with new wall and floor tiles. As mentioned earlier it was cold so I went back in to the main part of the bedroom to look for a thermostat. There wasn't one - but I found a radiator in the bathroom together with another in the bedroom under the one and only small window behind a fixed double seating area. I rang down to reception to ask how to turn the heating on and was advised to ensure that the radiator valves were switched on and if they did not heat up in a few minutes to ring back. Both radiator valves were switched on so I rang reception back and a different lady told me that they are on a hotel timer, which had recently been adjusted and that she didn't know at what time they would come on. She offered me an electric heater which I agreed to. This was brought to our room about 15 mins later. It was a new heater and had a fan which made a noise but quickly heated the room up. Our room was on the best side of the hotel and although the window was small we had good views of the Humber bridge and river Humber, even though the fixed seating area faced away from the window. The window was double glazed but the inner pane was cracked for about 10 inches from the bottom left toward the centre.

The bathroom door had an inset obscured piece of long glass in it and the bottom sill of the glass frame was very dirty and full of dust. From the bathroom you could see that the carpet had either not been vacuumed at all or had been badly done as there were bits on the carpet and larger bits could be seen at the bed edge just under the bed.

My wife went for a shower and after she climbed out of the shower onto he the shower towel I heard a big thump as she slipped on the smooth tiles when walking off the towel. Fortunately nothing was broken although she did experience some ankle pain later.

Tapas, included in the deal, was supposed to be available from 5:30pm in the bar/lounge area. We went down at about 6pm to take advantage of this offer. None was to be seen so I enquired at reception and the receptionist there said she would find out where it is being served. At this time I mentioned to her, again that out heating was not working in our room and she just shrugged her shoulders and said sorry? I was told that previously Tapas had been wasted so now they would make Tapas to order? I ordered a small glass of dry white wine for my wife and a pint of draught cider for myself at the bar, £8.45, together with Tapas. We sat down and waited for our Tapas to arrive, which is did around 20 mins later. It was served on a wooden platter and consisted of small pots of mixed olives, prawns, sun-dried tomatoes, hummus, salsa, 2 hot chicken wings, 2 wraps and a handful of tortilla chips - it was all very nice.

We then went to a Brewers Fayre, close by, with friends for something else to eat and drink more cheaply.

When we arrived back at the hotel at about 11:45pm our room was still cold and the radiators had never been on nor would they for the during of our stay. I didn't want to leave the portable heater on as it made a noise and I am an extremely light sleeper - nor should I have to? We went to bed and the wedding party disco could be heard in the background but this stopped at 12:30am. As the room cooled down from the heat created from the portable heater prior to going to bed we both struggled to get to sleep. I found a spare bed blanket in a zipped bag in the wardrobe at put this on my wife. Throughout the night we both regularly woke up cold.

The next morning we went for breakfast at around 10am. It was a buffet style breakfast serving both cold fruits and cereals and a full range of hot breakfast items, which we found most enjoyable. The spa turned out to be a sauna and gym together with a relaxation room on a different floor. There is no pool at this hotel so we decided to give the 'spa' a miss, although it was something that we had planned and looked forward to doing.

Although we had a late checkout provided in the offer we actually checked out at 11am - the normal checkout time. The receptionist asked if everything was OK. You guessed it - I said "as seen as you have asked, no it was not" and I went on to tell her everything that I have mentioned above. Why do waitresses and hotel reception staff ask this question if they are not trained in how to deal with criticism? The receptionist apologised and gave me the business card of the general manager and said that I could email her if I wanted to???

The Groupon voucher said that the hotel stay was valued at £199. The Hallmark Hotel, Ferriby is classed as a 4 star hotel and although we enjoyed, overall, our weekend breakaway, mostly due to the deals that we had obtained, it fell short of my expectations of a 4 star hotel and was certainly not worth £199.

Room Tip: If the problems identified with room 217 are resolved then this would be a good room the have.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark M
Serena W, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Hull, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you for your extensive review; which you have also taken the time to forward directly to me at the Hotel; which I hope that you are now in receipt of my response.

I appreciate the time to write a comprehensive report on your recent visit to the Hallmark Hotel; all feedback is extremely valuable to the future success of the Hallmark Hotel.

I have read your feedback, and are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea. It is often difficult to judge where our guests would prefer Afternoon Tea; as we receive great feedback from both lounge areas. I am pleased to hear that you were able to receive early access to your room upon your arrival; and that you also enjoyed our Tapas and Breakfast the following morning.

In respect of the temperature in your guest bedroom; I do sincerely apologise that the heating did not appear to be functioning on this occasion; and that a portable heater was delivered to you room. I do hope that we offered to move rooms; as this was not mentioned. The corridor associated to your guest room is very popular due to the fantastic views.

I do hope that you will visit the Hallmark Hotel in the future; and that we can ensure that your stay is more comfortable.

Thank you once again for taking the time to feedback; and will certainly ensure that the Team are aware.
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We visited Hull for the 1st time with low expectations, no expectations really, and on a Living Social Deal we were expecting nothing special.

Well what a surprise. Hull itself was fantastic, a really lovely place and with its maritime history a bit like a mini Liverpool - only nicer. We'd never been before and had low expectations!

The hotel - the only 4 star in Hull was great. Nice and friendly staff. Room was excellent, quiet and clean with nice views. We had a complimentary tapas in the bar, a reasonably priced bottle of wine and a couple of bar meals which were both awesome. The atmosphere was buzzy and there was a wedding party there which made it all feel a special place. And in the morning the breakfast was excellent, as good as you would find anywhere. We couldn't fault it, and will return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Serena W, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Hull, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for your excellent "5" STAR Review; the Team are delighted that you recently "Discovered" the Hallmark Hotel; along with enjoying the Hull area. As the City of Culture 2017; the Hallmark are very proud to welcome visitors to the City.

I am delighted that you found the Team nice and friendly; and that your guest room was excellent, quite and clean. The views are very special to the Hotel - so pleased to hear you enjoyed the ambience.

It's great that you found our food to be awesome; and equally value for money - and that you had an excellent Breakfast.

The Team hope to look forward to welcome you back soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Ferriby
#4 of 18 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Kingston Theatre Hotel
Kingston Theatre Hotel
#2 of 18 in Kingston-upon-Hull

Been to Hallmark Hotel Hull? Share your experiences!