“A Very Good Stay Ruined by poor and inaaacurate billing at check out”

Hallmark Hotel Hull
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Ferriby
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I could have so easily gone for the four and five stars as my stay here was a pleasant surprise very good value, excellent room great staff in and around the bar, restaurant and housekeeping.and up untill 1pm on the Sunday of my weekend stay it had been almost faultless.

My booking was through the hotel website and on a prepay deal to which I added a late check out, robe hire and breakfast my confirmation included the information that it had been paid in full in advance. On initially receiving the bill on leaving I had recordered myself exactly what I was due to pay for the extras, to my surprise the bill was significantly more and it actually felt a bit of a battle to prove they had it wrong including recharging the extras and attempting to charge for four breakfasts when I had actually pre paid for two. At one stage the receptionist asked me for my bank statement and proceeded to inform me I had got a good deal!! I am afraid that left me reeling and once sorted having had to get the bill altered three times before it was correct I emphasise the word correct rather than satisfied as the hotel was at fault not the customer/guest which was how it felt! I just left feeling angry and disappointed. Such a shame that maybe one apparently "small" issue soured a good experience but these are important points that should not be wrong! Having had good customer care and also exceptional customer care elsewhere and having experienced a very different approach from other hoteliers when they make a mistake by simply giving depth and meaning to an apology I would not return! I did however leave my advice and comments with the said receptionist at the time.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Serena W, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I am delighted to hear that as a main, you found your stay Very good value, Great Staff and that you found your room to be excellent.

I am therefore sorry to hear that on check out there was some confusion with your account. I sincerely apologise for the concern caused and inconvenience.

I hope that as your stay was enjoyable; that the Team and I will look forward to welcoming you back to the Hallmark Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Me And my partner have come to this hotel for our anniversary. Staying in room 132, not the best view, as we did get promised a river side view, (and ended up with a view of the car park) but the staff in the restaurant (grace and Maddy) were absolutely fantastic!!!! I have worked in many 5* hotels and these girls are better than any I have ever worked with. We have yet to try the breakfast, but lf it is the same level and service as dinner, I know we are in for a treat. All amazing so far. Thank you

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Rachelwills

Thank you for your 5 Star review! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay; and I now that Grace and Maddy were particularly happy to receive such fantastic feedback about their service.

The Team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We booked a groupon offer for a 1 night stay at the hallmark hotel, with tapas and breakfast for 2 people and late checkout. The confusion started when i had booked the hotel, to the next day receiving an email stating i could pre book breakfast at £9.95 per person and a 3 course meal for £20, why was i receiving this email if i had breakfast included? also with the 3 course meal, it was not stated on the menu what was included and what was not, i had to investigate myself to find out what had extra charges and what we could order.
we arrived at the hotel at 2pm, ready for check in, when we pulled up at the hotel, we found no one at reception, 1 girl was watching tv, and 2 other members of staff outside the front door enjoying the sun.
we checked into the room, handed over the voucher, with no further instructions other than where our room were and if we had stayed before. (no instructions on where the tapas was served or where the restaurant was)
we then walked to the room, nice and clean, ok size, but to find out there was no air conditioning??? it was 25c outside and the room was boiling! windows only opening a slight bit so no air flow through the room, no air conditioning through the hotel, just in the main reception and bar area. we knew it was going to be a warm night ahead!
After spending a great day out, we came back to the hotel, and decided to get ready for the Tapas and evening meal, after asking where it was served we went to the bar at 630pm, and ordered drinks and the Tapas, this is when we found out, ours names had no been recorded for the Tapas! the barman kindly said no problem after checking with reception, where again she was watching TV and not behind the desk.
by 720pm we still had not received our Tapas and we was due in the restaurant for our evening meal at 730pm, i then asked the bar staff what was going on to find out that they had not ordered it for us!! frustrating to say the least, they ordered the Tapas so we had to push our evening meal back!
when the Tapas finally arrived, we noticed that it didn't not contain the same food as the following table?? was this due to not having the food in for us and the late order?? at this point the barman has kindly offered us a free drink with our meal, which was nice.
we went through to the Restaurant for our meal, to be greeted with the hottest room of them all.
We ordered the food, not knowing or to be told about the 3 courses for £20, not even advertised anywhere. but we did get our free drink!
we ordered our food at 8pm, to finally after receiving each course, made it out of the restaurant at 10.25pm!!! it was incredibly slow and un-organised, when people left, the tables were not cleaned and just left until the end of the shift, bar staff bringing drinks up and not knowing who they were for, and asking every table until they found the right one! it was just a mess.
when we left, we went to settle the bill, to find out we had not been charged the 3 course for £20 and charged the full price! we had to remind the staff that we had the offer, to which point he went OH and then changed the bill for us! i could not believe it!
we paid the bill, and went back to the hot bedroom to end the night!!
after not having the best sleep due to the heat, we got up and went for breakfast, it was not bad! except having to ask constantly for a coffee!
we left and packed up and went to check out, once we got to reception we had the shock to find that they said we had outstanding bill to pay!!! we asked what for and it was for the meal on the evening which we had already paid. the receptionist said she would have to go through all the receipts to find out what had gone wrong! i offered mine to her to save our time, which she took at copy of and said she would sort it out for us, as if it was a favour to us that she would correct it! no major apology for this.
we left the hotel feeling disappointed with the stay, and how things with a little more customer service and thought, how the bad things could of been made right and how great this hotel could of been!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phil W
Serena W, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Phil W,

Thank you for your valuable Tripadvisor feedback; and apologise that you have had an experienced that has resulted in a 2 Star Review. I have reviewed your feedback; along with further discussions with the Team. I am sorry that you found the pre-arrival e-mail confusing; and this will be reviewed for future guest experience. We do indeed offer a pre-booked dining offer; which our guests are able to take advantage of prior to arrival or at check-in. Our Tapas dishes are individually prepared; and may differ in content - but always to the same value.

I have noted that on your arrival, you mentioned 2 members of the Team outside. These were our 2 Banqueting Managers; who were awaiting the arrival; and personal welcome of our Bridal Party - which is part of our personal service.

I am pleased to learn that you found our guest rooms nice and clean.

We have been trying to make contact with you since your recent visit to the Hallmark; to discuss your feedback further. I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you; if you would like to contact me on serena.walters@hallmarkhotels.co.uk. Thank you once again for your valuable feedback.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 13 May 2014

hi,we stayed at this gorgeous hotel from the 9th-11th of May!
i bought this 2 night stay for my fellas birthday present.....i got it from a virgin experience package!
i was extremely pleases as we entered the hotel as it looked lovely and the staff was so welcoming and helpful!

Our room was lovely and clean and all the cleaning staff were very pleasant too!!

we had breakfast included in our stay and i have to say...the first morning of our stay was lovely and was greeted with nice staff and made to feel comfortable....but the only negative thing i have to say was the breakfast on the day we left didn't have a positive feel! i understand it was busy as there had been a wedding on the night before...but on our arrival to the breakfast area we was greeted and told it was full, although there was quite a few tables empty and to wait in the lounge until there was room, which i don't mind, but as we went into the lounge, many followed....we was waiting 40 minutes and then the gentleman who was hosting that morning came in to gather people for breakfast, we was first there but then last to go in, which i was quite disappointed as we'd been waiting the longest, his organisation skills weren't very good and was just whizzing around quite abruptly and made it feel uncomfortable! we asked for a pot of tea as one wasn't provided and he said, yes i'll get you one...10 minutes later and still no pot....after already been sat at our table 20 minutes! i then asked again politely and another 10 minutes still nothing! we had to ask another member of staff to get one who did finally!
i did enjoy the breakfast but you did have to wait for things to be topped up sometimes!
this was only a small thing but people should be organised at there jobs.

i would love to come back to this hotel as the overall experience was fantastic and the majority of the staff are lovely! thank you for such a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Serena W, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Thank you for your valuable feedback and review.

I am delighted to learn that you found the Team welcoming and helpful. It's great that you found your guest room lovely and clean; and the Housekeeping Team pleasant.

Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding Breakfast; I shall be investigating further on your concern; and apologise for any inconvenience caused on the morning.

Please do let me know if you return in the future; and hope to look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed one night recently on business. Having heard mixed reviews from colleagues who had stayed here, I did not have high expectations, but was pleasantly surprised. Very conveniently located near to the Humber Bridge (view from the restaurant) and, though a busy road passes close by, noise wasn’t a problem. The hotel, while no architectural masterpiece, was functional, clean and tidy. The room was well appointed and the bathroom spacious, with a good shower. The restaurant, though offering the usual breakfast buffet fayre, proved excellent on the one night I ate there. The menu offered good choices, the food was reasonably priced, well presented, hot and tasty, and though the service wasn’t that quick, it was adequate. Though I didn’t use the gym on this occasion, it was light, airy and well equipped for cardio in particular. Though our company has a choice of hotels in the Hull area, I would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for recently "Discovering" the Hallmark Hotel; and delighted that you would stay again in the future.

It's great to hear that you found the Hotel to be clean and tidy; and that you enjoyed the well appointed guest room.

I am delighted to learn that you found the menu options good; and very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Hallmark Hotel soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Having returned to hallmark again , I have to say we was not disappointed , we decided to try the daily specials and as always the meal was beautifully cooked and very tasty , the staff are always on hand and can't do enough for you , We will be returning soon !! Thanks

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

WOW! Thank you for another 5 Star review and valuable feedback.

I am delighted that you once again found our Team of Staff helpful; and the food in the Brasserie beautifully booked and tasty.

We offer our guests a variety of Daily Specials; to further compliment the Brasserie Menu. We have also just introduced a Grazing Menu in the Lounge/Bar area - to further satisfy those hunger cravings prior to dinner! They are proving very popular.

The Team look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We chose this hotel on the basis that they have facilities for guest to take well behaved dogs with them. We where made welcome from the time we booked in till we checked out, the room was clean and spacious with a fantastic view of the Famous Humber Bridge beyond a field that had a running track for joggers and provided a nice walk with the dog, lots of wild life in the well kept grounds.
We could eat our meals in the bar area and felt very happy at the hotel at all times with our dog.
A very happy stay and we would recommend this hotel as a good standard and friendly hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Humber have a view of the bridge.