“Nice Sunday lunch” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wellington Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Howden
Wellington Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Howden
“Nice Sunday lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Having moved to Howden we went out exploring somewhere for Sunday lunch. Chose The Wellington and had a lovely large carvery for £9.95. The young waitress was lovely and very polite and the Scottish Chef was friendly. Food very nice and whole place had a relaxed feel to it.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

A visit to the Wellington Hotel offers the feel of a friendly, cosy pub atmosphere in the bar and a delicious home cooked dining experience in the restaurant. For the food lovers who enjoy a traditional dish where the rich gravy and creamy mashed potato bring back memories of your childhood and the Bisto advert then this is the place to dine. The menu is varied and offers choices for different dietary preferences. I would definitely encourage anyone who fancy's a nice meal and to be served by welcoming staff, go and see for yourself.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

Very freindly and helpful staff. The resteraunt food and breakfast were really nice. Very fresh and well cooked. The room was very clean and of a good quality. The only thing I found was that the bed was at tilted at an angle so your head was lower than your feet! This is only as the buildng is old you can't expect it to be levelled. So either sleep the other way or it might not bother you. I think the hotel should consider moving the bed to the opposite wall! The matress was also either very soft or old. These two things were a problem for me as I have back and shoulder problems. The duvet was so gorgeous and thick! So I actually used it like a sleeping bag to sleep on the floor and had a great night sleep! Breakfast was cooked up for us fresh to order in the morning and was absolutely gorgeous.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HappyBunny2014
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

very welcoming stay at this warm and friendly hotel in a nice little town, was here on a business trip was greeted by some very friendly staff whom directed me to my room for the night, then came down for some food which was also very good, had a good chat with the friendly local people who gave me some pointers on the local ales, overall very satisfied with my stay good value for money and certainly would hesitate to stop again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jamesshippers s
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Have been a few times and the foods okay and what could be called pub grub. My only concern is the price of the food which I think is over the top for a town pub. The atmosphere is good and the staff really nice just need to sort out the costing and more people will go

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
wellingtonhotelh, Manager at Wellington Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
may i first thank you for your comments.we took over the hotel in aug 13 and so far most comments have been very positive,but we are always looking to continue and improve things where needed.our menu is home cooked using the best quality,and local fresh produce we can source.this reflects in the price we pay,and also what we charge customers.we do however offer smaller sized meals on most of our homemade dishes for as little as 5.95.we also offer daily specials including fish &chips for 2 for only 11.95 including tea or coffee.we hope to see you again and maybe try the specials mentioned above,i have also reminded staff members to let our customers know what daily specials we have on.thanks once again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back again soon. Neil -manager wellington hotel
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

I've taken my mother here for tea, as she lives in Howden. She'd heard good reviews about the food and as it was under new management we decided to give it a go. We too, had the small fish special and we thought it to be very good value. It was £11.95 for a choice of either scampi and chips or fish and chips each with a choice of mushy peas or garden peas and a pot of tea for two. Considering the good value, I had the scampi and my mother had the fish and we both found it to be just right for our appetites. However, if I was to go again with my husband and son, I would recommend they have the large fish and chips which were only £3 extra for two larger meals. The service was attentive and friendly, and I'm sure that if i did have a problem I would only have had to ask.
Will definitely be back after the recent lick of paint!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
thank you for your comments,hope to welcome you back again soon. Neil-manager wellington hotel
Bremen, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

I stayed in a single room at the front of the hotel. You had to get out of bed to switch off the bedside light. I could not get the shower to supply anything but hot, hot water. We had to prepay and pre-state cooked or cereal breakfast and give a time for breakfast. We were offered tea or coffee, nothing else. The breakfast was delivered with bacon, one sausage, one fried egg and a couple of spoonfuls of dried up beans. It was very unappertising.. there were young skateboarders on the street outside at midnight but when I got up to ask for the night porter to do something, I discovered all the downstairs was locked up and no one there except for a couple of guys out the back asking for Kate!! Before breakfast the road at the front became very busy and noisy even though it was a Sunday with people parking to use the Coop opposite. My room cost £43, which I felt was overpriced, given the poor service we received. The stairs to the rooms are narrow and steep too. I cannot recommend this hotel which is a shame because Howden was where I was born and bred and I have always been proud of it.

Room Tip: choose at the rear if you must use this hotel