“Good fresh food”
Review of The Lion

The Lion
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Older than time, “The Lion” has seen much in its history from Guildhall to Ale House to Hotel to Pub. We have strived to bring together three main elements; Pub, Oven and Cellar. You are welcome to sink a pint or two, take tea and cakes, maybe make a selection from our in house wine cellar, either to drink now or to take home. Watch the Kitchen team bake in the enormous wood-fired oven anything from an authentic pizza smothered in local morsels, some slow roast local pork or just damn good bread.
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My husband and I went there tonight.although busy we soon got a table. He had steak ,which was good , I had prawn stuffed trout both well cooked and we chose salad and rosemary pots 2 accompany. Which tasted very fresh.
The wine y chose from there cellar , a nice touch
Overall v good

2  Thank Amanda F
JosieDL, Manager at The Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

I was glad to hear you enjoyed your visit to The Lion. The chefs were so happy to hear you enjoyed your meal. Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again, Josie

Reviewed 29 May 2014

It really does make a nice change these days to be greeted and served by happy and friendly staff. Décor and ambiance was great. Menu was excellent with obviously a lot of thought given to the variety of choice and the combinations/accompanyments. We only wanted a light lunch and all ordered differently filled ciabattas. That perhaps doesn't sound very interesting but it was honestly the best I have EVER had! Even the accompanying salad (which I normally detest(!), was amazing with some different and flavoursome (yes, actually a flavoursome!) salad components.
Because it was so good we couldn't resist also having a pudding - and we were not disappointed. The choice again, was good and I chose an Eddy's Panattone bread and butter pudding with mascarpone - scrummy!
Based on my visit today, I would definitely recommend this place.

1  Thank Ieuan R
JosieDL, Manager at The Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you so much for your lovely review of The Lion. Its wonderful to hear that you enjoyed everything from your ciabatta to your bread and butter. I will pass all of your comments on to the team. We look forward to seeing you next time, Josie

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My second visit to the Lion, which I really want to do well. We sat in the Hunt room and ordered 3 starters, 2 pizzas and the lamb. The beer, Red Fox and Adnams was really nicely kept and the starters were good if not spectacular. The bread with the salad was really really good though.

The pizzas were a real let down though. Firstly we had asked for no barbecue sauce on the pulled pork pizza and it arrived with it on. My son decided to accept it though, which was probably a mistake in hindsight. My own 4 seasons pizza managed to be rather vinegary which spoiled the overal taste. However both pizzas were far too stodgy with too much topping, which made them hard work to eat and heavy on the stomach. I've never seen my teenage son leave a pizza uneaten on his plate before! The bill did show that his pizza should have no sorce ( stet)

This is all a real shame because there is a good pub in here trying to get out but more attention to detail is needed. I got a bit bored by the waitress calling us all guys everytime she came to our table. Could you suggest to the staff that they don't need to call us guys, sir, mate or anything come to that, just smile and be attentive. We also had to call her back a couple of times because she walked away without hearing us asking for more drinks. A nice cheerful girl but a bit distracted?

I love the Five Bells and Griffin and really want to feel the same way about the Lion. Perhaps we chose a bad night and things are usually better but I can't really give it more than 3 out of 5.
I hope that my comments are seen as helpful rather than over critical. I look forward to having a visit where the food and service matches the excellent beer quality

JosieDL, Manager at The Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Hi, I would first like to thank you for taking the time to give us some positive and constructive feedback. We value all comments as this helps us to uncover and acknowledge things that we need to work on to keep the high standards we set our selves. I was sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your pizzas and that you felt they did not reach our normal standards. I also apologies for the break down in communication regarding the barbecue sauce. I have talked with the chefs and relayed your comments and it is something we will be taking in to consideration regarding the amount of topping. They were however thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your starters and send their apologies that you did not receive the same quality with your mains.
I have also relayed your comments back to the front of house team about addressing customers and again it is something i will be looking out for and as a team will be trying to be more conscious and aware of making customers feel comfortable and that their needs are being met. Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again. Josie

Reviewed 28 May 2014

After visiting the Lion ourselves, we decided to take the whole family there for lunch on Sunday. Complete success, the Pizza oven providing a 'real Pizza' experience for the teenagers and tasty meals for the rest of the family. The pub was surprisingly quiet but the atmosphere was great and service was excellent. It will be a regular place now and we will work our way through the menu.

JosieDL, Manager at The Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Hi, Thank you for your lovely comments. Its great to hear that you feel we cater for all the family as we like to see our selves as family friendly pub. We look forward to seeing you next time, Josie

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Having read some of the review we were not entirely sure what to expect. We should not have worried the food was excellent, good quick service and very helpful friendly staff. Car parking is a little scare near The Lion but there is a car park at the back. Beer garden was nice to sit out in on a beautiful sunny day. Will return

1  Thank Mrs_MChook
JosieDL, Manager at The Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Hi, Thank you for your review. I'm glad we were able to make your unexpected visit a good one. We will strive to keep up the good work. Josie