we turned up expecting great things due to what we've heard about this place...yeah those expectations couldn't have turned out any different!
The staff: very poor, unprofessional, untrained, uncaring, unknowledgeable on anything and a bit of advice if you're going to talk down about/bad of customers at least move away from the people you're talking about ie US! (we hadn't even done anything wrong)
Food: tasted great WHEN WE HAD SOME!, we was there 3+ hours and maybe had 1 steak each at a push, they know how to postpone delivering the food very clever! especially on filling you up on drink and carb based food rather than meat "the steaks take 20 minutes to cook"..erm steaks do not take 20 minutes to cook! and if only they did as we'd have gotten more than what we did
so that's the starter and main, pudding? well a waitress came over and asked us about 10.10pm if we would like one. In a way that was saying 'don't order a pudding'. She then said to her colleague 'I offered them a dessert but they said it would take to long, which it will'
all in all I will 100% NOT BE returning unless the staff have at least an hours worth of training, Customer service being top of the agenda, the slow service may have been excused if the restaurant was busy but it was just over half full if that..'all the steak you can eat' ?...we left hungry due to fresh air on empty plates not being very filling
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Boutique Hotel and Restaurant located close to Colchester in Essex. Each of the nine bedrooms are uniquely themed and furnished to offer superior comfort all with en suite bathrooms. Our Head Chef has a ever changing menu using only local seasonal produce from local farmers and producers. we buy directly from farmers and producers across East Anglia. Local amenities include, 2 x golf courses, flying club and airfield, 2 local steam railways and many historic buildings in the area. Nearby Colchester is one of England's oldest recorded towns. The hotel can cater for weddings and conferences. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your The Drapers House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Drapers Hotel Earls Colne
- The Drapers House Hotel Essex/Earls Colne